Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Not able to use more than 3 vouchers for a ticket purchase

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum

Just finished beating my head against the wall multiple times trying to find a solution to this issue.

After hoarding 12 vouchers (Delta eCerts and eCredits) worth about $900 throughout the year from my many misadventures on DL flights, I wanted to use them for a single trip to PVG this December. When I called to book the itinerary, I was told that I can only use 3 vouchers per ticket. I carefully read the T&C of the vouchers and nowhere does it list this limitation. So, apparently this is due to a "technological limitation" in Delta's system.

I asked to see if they could combine them into one voucher and was told that was not possible. I then asked if they could discount the ticket and delete the vouchers for that amount and was told no again. Very frustrated I tried escalating the issue in multiple different formats and got the same result every time.

Any suggestions on getting around this?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:55 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
There's no way around this
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:58 am

Programs: Delta DM MM
Last time I tried to use an e credit I was told I could only use one and that no one else could be on my PNR..... Everytime you call it is a different answer....
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Buy a refundable ticket with 3 vouchers... Cancel, new voucher should be issued. Repeat.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Buy a refundable ticket with 3 vouchers... Cancel, new voucher should be issued. Repeat.
Nice!!! ^
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:02 am

Programs: DL Silver (aka, Delta AmEx PLUS), Starbucks Gold :)
If you buy refundable tickets using 3 of your vouchers and cancel the ticket, do you get one back? If so, filter the others using this way until you have 3 to use. The first part needs an answer first.

(Edit - answered by AndyTLe - I'm always slow
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
How about using three vouchers to buy a refundable ticket, and then canceling it (or non-refundable but within one day); do you get one voucher for the full price back?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:18 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
My experience with multiple vouchers has been this - even when the full value is used, if the itinerary is cancelled they are divided back up according to their original terms and conditions. They are not co-mingled as one credit voucher. Admittedly it has been a while since I've done this so that may have changed.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:36 am

Programs: AA ExecP
Originally Posted by Denal1
Last time I tried to use an e credit I was told I could only use one and that no one else could be on my PNR..... Everytime you call it is a different answer....
You were told absolutely incorrect information. You can use 3 vouchers, per person, on 1 PNR. I just booked an AF codeshare in PE for 2 people - used 6 vouchers - 3 each - for a total of $1400 in vouchers (upgraded to J with SWUs).
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:39 am

Programs: AA ExecP
Originally Posted by dll
My experience with multiple vouchers has been this - even when the full value is used, if the itinerary is cancelled they are divided back up according to their original terms and conditions. They are not co-mingled as one credit voucher. Admittedly it has been a while since I've done this so that may have changed.
I have seen both. If it's refundable and the flight has passed (no-show), then you are more likely to have the reissue done as 1 voucher.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:48 am

Programs: DL DM, LH SEN, Mariott Titanium
Be careful when using vouchers and then cancelling:
- I have had trouble with the 24hr "free" cancellation policy
- It has taken almost two weeks in one instance to get the voucher value back
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:51 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by flying_q
I have seen both. If it's refundable and the flight has passed (no-show), then you are more likely to have the reissue done as 1 voucher.
I've seen both too.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:43 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM
Originally Posted by flying_q
You were told absolutely incorrect information. You can use 3 vouchers, per person, on 1 PNR. I just booked an AF codeshare in PE for 2 people - used 6 vouchers - 3 each - for a total of $1400 in vouchers (upgraded to J with SWUs).
I called back and got it done with another rep...I was making the point that rarely will a question be answered the same way by two different reps. It seems no one knows the rules anymore......
Old Nov 15, 2011, 1:02 pm
Suspended

E-Certs

Originally Posted by AU Fan
Just finished beating my head against the wall multiple times trying to find a solution to this issue.

After hoarding 12 vouchers (Delta eCerts and eCredits) worth about $900 throughout the year from my many misadventures on DL flights, I wanted to use them for a single trip to PVG this December. When I called to book the itinerary, I was told that I can only use 3 vouchers per ticket. I carefully read the T&C of the vouchers and nowhere does it list this limitation. So, apparently this is due to a "technological limitation" in Delta's system.

I asked to see if they could combine them into one voucher and was told that was not possible. I then asked if they could discount the ticket and delete the vouchers for that amount and was told no again. Very frustrated I tried escalating the issue in multiple different formats and got the same result every time.

Any suggestions on getting around this?
Not sure if this will work for non-elite flyers, but I did this recently by calling the DM line. They used all of my e-certs and did not charge me for using an agent.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 1:05 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
going to help the OP find a $300 refundable ticket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.