Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Targeted? Get a 100% Bonus When You Transfer Miles-November Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2011, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Most

Just received the following email from Delta:

Get a 100% Bonus When You Transfer Miles
100% Mileage Bonus

Bring your friends and family with you over the holidays. For a limited time, when you transfer miles to a friend or family member, you'll earn a 100% mileage bonus for yourself.¹

That means for every 1,000 miles you transfer out of your SkyMiles account, we'll give you 1,000 bonus miles back. What a great way to help yourself and that special someone get the miles needed for the upcoming holidays.²

Hurry! Offer ends November 30, 2011.

Bonus Examples:
Transfer Miles 100% Bonus
2,000 2,000
6,000 6,000
16,000 16,000
30,000 30,000
60,000 60,000
Terms and Conditions:
¹Eligibility: This offer is open only to the recipients of original email. Offer is not transferable and cannot be combined with any o10ther offers. Transaction must be completed between November 14, 2011 and November 30, 2011 to receive the 100% mileage bonus. The 100% mileage bonus offer expires at 11:59pm CST on November 30, 2011. The 100% mileage bonus will be awarded to the transfer donor's account and will post to the account within 24 hours after the completed transaction. The donor's mileage bonus will equal 100% of his or her mileage transfer. Offer does not apply to miles purchased under the SkyMiles Buy Miles or Gift Miles programs.

Transfer Miles may only be donated and received by SkyMiles accounts that have been established for at least 10 days and have earned at least one automatically posted mile since enrolling in the Delta SkyMiles program. Each member is limited to transferring no more than 150,000 miles from his or her account and no recipient may receive more than 300,000 transferred miles from any other SkyMiles program account or combination of accounts in any calendar year. Any miles beyond this limit will not be transferred from member's account or posted to any recipient's account.

Taxes and Fees: You will be charged $0.01 USD per mile, plus a $30 USD processing fee per transaction or as otherwise set forth on the order form. All amounts paid by the member for the transfer of miles pursuant to this Agreement are exclusive of any applicable taxes. A 5% GST and/or other applicable taxes apply to residents of Canada on the $30 USD processing fee. Miles can be transferred in increments of 1,000 miles, with a minimum transfer of 1,000 miles. Transferred miles are applicable for all SkyMiles program awards. Transferred miles do not count toward Medallion or Million Miler™ status.

²Award Travel: Taxes and fees for Award Travel are the responsibility of the passenger and must be paid at the time the ticket is booked. Award Travel seats are limited and may not be available on all flights or in all markets.

Miscellaneous: All Delta SkyMiles program rules apply. To review the rules, please visit delta.com/memberguide. Offers, prices and rules are subject to change without notice. Offers void where prohibited by law. Additional restrictions may apply.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:09 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
tempted to use this as my $200 amex plat credit, if we don't pull the trigger on our anniverary trip (and EC) by the end of the year.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:19 pm

Programs: skymiles, onepass
2 questions to the experts:
1) Is $0.01/mile a good deal?
2) How would AMEX process the payment? I.e., would it be processed as an airline payment (with membership rewards, that would amount to 3x the points), or would they just treat it as a regular purchase (or maybe no points at all, even).
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:21 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold née Platinum; AA Plat.
My wife just got this also. Is my math correct that we can in effect purchase up to 150,000 DL miles at $0.005 per mile (since cost is $0.01/mile, but with 100% bonus)?
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:22 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, CO Gold, AF
Originally Posted by secretjudge
2 questions to the experts:
1) Is $0.01/mile a good deal?
2) How would AMEX process the payment? I.e., would it be processed as an airline payment (with membership rewards, that would amount to 3x the points), or would they just treat it as a regular purchase (or maybe no points at all, even).
#2 - It seems you must use a Delta AmEx card. So should get 2x miles for the purchase.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by tpatta
#2 - It seems you must use a Delta AmEx card. So should get 2x miles for the purchase.
I'm not so sure. I don't have a Delta AmEx card, I have a Costco AmEx card, and I received the email offer today. Mulling it over....
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by jgold
My wife just got this also. Is my math correct that we can in effect purchase up to 150,000 DL miles at $0.005 per mile (since cost is $0.01/mile, but with 100% bonus)?
You can "transfer" 150K and Delta will gift you the same number. Essentially they are selling these to you for 1 cent per mile +$30 fee + possible tax.

Last edited by holtju2; Nov 14, 2011 at 12:31 pm

No, this is not correct. This is a tranfer bonus, so you must already have the points in your account. You pay a fee for the tranfer then get the bonus points. Your cost is $0.01/mile, but then you have to add in the $30 transaction fee. To minimize the CPM impact of this fee, you would want to max out the offer (60,000) points. You would then be paying $630 for the additional miles. Cost per mile = $630/60,000 = $.0105. This is about as good a deal as you can get if you are just buying miles.

Whether or not this makes sense depends entirely on your plans to redeem the miles. If you redeem them for a domestic ticket that would cost $250 and trade 25,000 miles, you are about breaking even. With Delta, the amount of points required is often higher, but the cash price can be too. If you redeem them for an Int'l Business/First class ticket, you might get 6 to 10cpm of value. This would be a great deal, assuming you would otherwise spend that kind of money on a ticket.

Last edited by TheManofaThousandPlaces; Nov 14, 2011 at 12:33 pm
mpp

Your math is off. It is one penny per mile (plus whatever the $30 transaction fee adds to the math). For example, to get 100 miles it will cost you $1 (since you will need to transfer 100 miles and it cost $1 to do that).

To purchase miles it is still 3.5 cents per mile. This promotion is not for purchasing miles but for transferring miles.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:27 pm

Programs: skymiles, onepass
Originally Posted by tpatta
Where does it say that payment is limited to Delta AmEx card? I have a good ol' AMEX Gold Membership Rewards (with 3x on airline purchases).

Also, I am wondering whether I could transfer points to my girlfriend, she transfer back to me, I back to her, etc....
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:29 pm

Here's a link in case anyone needs it:

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/buy_tr...clusive50.jsp?
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:29 pm

Programs: Delta 2MM, PM, Marriott Plat Premier, Hyatt Diamond,
100% mileage bonus

Could this be considered a perk or devaluation of SkyMiles? Via email today. Especially at $0.01 per mile?

Hello Splash,
Bring your friends and family with you over the holidays. For a limited time, when you transfer miles to a friend or family member, you'll earn a 100% mileage bonus for yourself.1

That means for every 1,000 miles you transfer out of your SkyMiles account, we'll give you 1,000 bonus miles back. Whs?at a great way to help yourself and that special someone get the miles they need for the upcoming holidays.2

Hurry! Offer ends November 30, 2011.

Terms & Conditions
1Eligibility: This offer is open only to the recipients of original email. Offer is not transferable and cannot be combined with any other offers. Transaction must be completed between November 14, 2011 and November 30, 2011 to receive the 100% mileage bonus. The 100% mileage bonus offer expires at 11:59 CST on November 30, 2011. The 100% mileage bonus will be awarded to the transfer donor's account and will post to the account within 24 hours after the completed transaction. The donor's mileage bonus will equal 100% of his or her mileage transfer. Offer does not apply to miles purchased under the SkyMiles Buy Miles or Gift Miles programs.

Transfer Miles may only be donated and received by SkyMiles accounts that have been established for at least 10 days and have earned at least one automatically posted mile since enrolling in the Delta SkyMiles program. Each member is limited to transferring no more than 150,000 miles from his or her account and no recipient may receive more than 300,000 transferred miles from any other SkyMiles program account or combination of accounts in any calendar year. Any miles beyond this limit will not be transferred from member's account or posted to any recipient's account.

Taxes and Fees: You will be charged $0.01 USD per mile, plus a $30 USD processing fee per transaction or as otherwise set forth on the order form. All amounts paid by the member for the transfer of miles pursuant to this Agreement are exclusive of any applicable taxes. A 5% GST and/or other applicable taxes apply to residents of Canada on the $30 USD processing fee. Miles can be transferred in increments of 1,000 miles, with a minimum transfer of 1,000 miles. Transferred miles are applicable for all SkyMiles program awards. Transferred miles do not count toward Medallion or Million Miler™ status.

2Award Travel: Taxes and fees for Award Travel are the responsibility of the passenger and must be paid at the time the ticket is booked. Award Travel seats are limited and may not be available on all flights or in all markets.

Miscellaneous: All Delta SkyMiles program rules apply. To review the rules, please visit delta.com/member guide. Offers, prices and rules are subject to change without notice. Offers void where prohibited by law. Additional restrictions may apply.

Promotional Reference Code: Please refer Delta customer service representative to 97060924.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Thanks for the link, but appears that the bonus miles will only be awarded to those that were targeted. Perhaps the target group will be expanded as the promo is rolled out.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:39 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold née Platinum; AA Plat.
Originally Posted by mpp
Your math is off. It is one penny per mile (plus whatever the $30 transaction fee adds to the math). For example, to get 100 miles it will cost you $1 (since you will need to transfer 100 miles and it cost $1 to do that).

To purchase miles it is still 3.5 cents per mile. This promotion is not for purchasing miles but for transferring miles.
Okay thank you -- my bad. Although I think the above doesn't attribute any value to rescuing orphaned miles from one person's account, but I take your point. I guess the correct analysis is that the transfer fee is in effect $0.005/mile.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:42 pm

This is basically a gift promotion at 1 cpm + fees (since you get all the miles back that you transfer out). I got the email too. ^ Too bad it's limited to 150k miles (need to generate more for a friend). Guess I'll look for someone in coupon connection that isn't going to use this targeted offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.