Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

TSA Trusted Traveler Program Coming to MSP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2011, 6:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Local TV news programs are reporting that MSP will benefit from the new experimental TSA Trusted Traveler Program in a few months. Selected passengers wil be sent to a separate screening line where they will not be required to remove shoes, etc. No further details have been given.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 6:47 am

Programs: DL - Diamond Medallion - 2 Million Miler; Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson GOLD. ParknGo loves me
Any reports from ATL and DTW on how well this is working (or, if it has already been started)?
Old Nov 10, 2011, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by brad9696
Any reports from ATL and DTW on how well this is working (or, if it has already been started)?
Some people here have benefitted from it and had a good experience, but you only know that you are trusted when you get to the ID checker so you cannot use it to spend less total time in airports as you do not know in advance whether you will get the expedited screening that day. Also, it seems that you must enter your GE number on each PNR well in advance of your flights, IIRC 72 hours.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:03 am

Location: Minneapolis, MN - At least that's where I receive mail...
Programs: DL (DM), AA (EP), SPG (Ambassador), HHonors (Gold)
Can't speak for ATL, but it works very well in DTW. Basically, you scan your boarding pass. If you are enrolled, the TSA person sees an icon on a small screen and directs you toward the expedited screening area.

You take your mobile phone out of your pocket, send your bags through the scanner and walk through a metal detector.

Shoes on
Belt on
Coat on
Keys, change, wallet in pockets
No nudie scanner

It's so.... 1999! :-P
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:18 am

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, AA ExPlt
great news.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:34 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriot/SPG Gold, National Executive Elite, AMEX Platinum
Here it is:

http://blog.tsa.gov/2011/11/tsa-pre-...hree-more.html

· LAS will come on board in December for pilot participants traveling on both Delta and American Airlines
· LAX will also come on board in early 2012 for pilot participants traveling on American Airlines
· MSP will come on board in early 2012 for pilot participants traveling on Delta Air Lines
Old Nov 10, 2011, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL GM; SPG- Gold; HH-Diamond; IHG-Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/GRI40) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Originally Posted by aaronhurd
Can't speak for ATL, but it works very well in DTW. Basically, you scan your boarding pass. If you are enrolled, the TSA person sees an icon on a small screen and directs you toward the expedited screening area.

You take your mobile phone out of your pocket, send your bags through the scanner and walk through a metal detector.

Shoes on
Belt on
Coat on
Keys, change, wallet in pockets
No nudie scanner

It's so.... 1999! :-P
Just got to use this for first time today in Atlanta. Never got selected out of my home base of dtw. Must say, love it. Atl security took 10 seconds.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Any chance this means that MSP will be getting Global Entry kiosks sometime soon? Could it be that if they're caring about it for Trusted Traveller that they might care about it for GE now, too?
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mtkeller
Any chance this means that MSP will be getting Global Entry kiosks sometime soon? Could it be that if they're caring about it for Trusted Traveller that they might care about it for GE now, too?
I certainly hope so. It would be nice to get GE very soon here. However, CBP and TSA are different agencies and I haven't heard any mention of GE here beyond some early comments about a year ago that we would get it at some point.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 8:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, FB PM, Gamer/Trickster.
Does the DL plat amex give you the $100 GE app refund like the regular plat amex does?
Old Nov 10, 2011, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

AFAIK, no. Note that the annual fee for regular Plat AmEx charge card is approximately equal to the annual fee fee for the DL AmEx Reserve credit card, so that I would not expect DL Plat for about $100 per year to grant the same benefits as either DL Reserve or regular AmEx Plat for almost $500 per year.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I certainly hope so. It would be nice to get GE very soon here. However, CBP and TSA are different agencies and I haven't heard any mention of GE here beyond some early comments about a year ago that we would get it at some point.
I heard some rumors but I'm not sure how credible they are that it is in the planning for 2012. It certainly would be nice as often times I will choose to fly through ATL, DTW or JFK over MSP or MEM solely due to the lack of GE kiosks. However, I can say that the lines at both MSP and MEM haven't ever been Terribly long....only once at MSP have I waited more than 10 mins and that was when the NRT and AMS flights got in at the same time.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

It was better before the NW merger with DL because now the schedules have several international flights arriving at approximately the same time. It would be better if international arrivals could be staggered better.

Nevertheless, if you are one of the first people to deplane, you usually get through passport control or immigration quite quickly. Then if you do not have checked bags or if the SkyPriority bag tags work right, you and get through customs quickly too.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 12:04 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
General question about the trusted traveler thing, ive gotten a couple emails about it from DL, so far havent seen anyplace to opt in when booking various tickets, that just mean im not going through airports where its enacted yet? and do you have to be in one of the existing programs like GE or NEXUS to take part in the TSA version?
Old Nov 11, 2011, 6:27 am

Location: Minneapolis, MN - At least that's where I receive mail...
Programs: DL (DM), AA (EP), SPG (Ambassador), HHonors (Gold)
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
General question about the trusted traveler thing, ive gotten a couple emails about it from DL, so far havent seen anyplace to opt in when booking various tickets, that just mean im not going through airports where its enacted yet? and do you have to be in one of the existing programs like GE or NEXUS to take part in the TSA version?
I don't know if you *have to* be in one of the programs, but I am enrolled in Global Entry. Before the program started, I entered my Global Entry membership number in my Delta Profile at:

SkyMiles (Menu) > Manage My Account (Item in Menu) > Manage Profile (Top link on the Manage My Account page) > Secure Flight Data (Section on the Manage Profile page) > Known Traveler Number (Field in the Secure Flight Data section)

I have heard that you can be in by just being a diamond or platinum medallion, but there is another thread that discusses this at length.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.