Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dc-9 Regs.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2011, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Dc-9 Regs.

Hi i was on DL Flight 1813 today( 11/5/11) sdf-atl on a dc95. And forgot to get the Registration number today. Can anyone help me out here?
Old Nov 5, 2011, 8:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cltflyer1
Hi i was on DL Flight 1813 today( 11/5/11) sdf-atl on a dc95. And forgot to get the Registration number today. Can anyone help me out here?
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/D...635Z/KSDF/KATL

Thats all the info I know.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 1:22 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Try the DOT's BTS database. Should show up in a couple of weeks.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 9:16 am

Programs: DL-Pyrite Medallion
Originally Posted by Cltflyer1
You were on ship 9866 (N775NC)...built in 1979. Enjoy 'em while you can, their days are numbered.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 9:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Down3Green
You were on ship 9866 (N775NC)...built in 1979. Enjoy 'em while you can, their days are numbered.
Will be nice to see the elimination of the DC9-50's. Those are way too old. So many new developments have come out since then.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by adamj023
Will be nice to see the elimination of the DC9-50's. Those are way too old. So many new developments have come out since then.
Old yes but well maintained and built like tanks. I agree that with the new mini jets (ERJ175/CR9/etc) the gas hog 9's will go soon but there is something about turning final in one of those birds that makes you really feel like you are flying. They "sweep" into a final turn like nothing else in the sky. I will miss them when they are gone...but I miss Avro's so that's just me
Old Nov 6, 2011, 11:10 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Old yes but well maintained and built like tanks. I agree that with the new mini jets (ERJ175/CR9/etc) the gas hog 9's will go soon but there is something about turning final in one of those birds that makes you really feel like you are flying. They "sweep" into a final turn like nothing else in the sky. I will miss them when they are gone...but I miss Avro's so that's just me
I've been on two AVROs and one DC-9-50 in the past 3 months. If you fly on AF to EDI or ZRH, you'll travel with CityJet, which operates AVROs they acquired from Mesaba.

I was on N769NC ATL-BHM. I was sitting in Row 1, which is about 10-12 feet behind the flight deck door (closets and the galley are in between), and saw all the pre-digital age instruments on the flight deck.

Brought back memories of North Central, which was one of two carriers that served my home airports, MKG and GRR, back in the 1960s
Old Nov 6, 2011, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
I much prefer the DC9s over the CRJ-200s. Too bad all the CRJ-200s can't be replaced by the DC9s of any vintage.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DL-Don
I much prefer the DC9s over the CRJ-200s. Too bad all the CRJ-200s can't be replaced by the DC9s of any vintage.
CRJ's are a lot more fuel efficient and modern and are outstanding small jets.

Eventually those CJR200's will be older and will need to be replaced as well with a more modern jet in the future.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 2:47 pm

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
Originally Posted by avidflyer
And with no slats (leading edge lift devices), on landing you have to literally fly them into the ground with no flare. Can get a little spooky if you don't know what is going on.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the reg number! Yeah this was only my 2nd Dc9 and probably last dc9 flight ever. the first ever actually being an airtran dc9-30 on gso-atl
Old Nov 6, 2011, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, Hertz #1 Gold
The DC-9s are indeed built like tanks. But without flight management systems and current day avionics they provide a high workload environment for the crew on a complicated arrival and approach with lots of fixes and crossing restrictions. I can promise you the pilot not flying is tuning radios (nav and comm) like a mad man while the aviator on the controls is yanking & banking and working the throttles like few others in the sky these days. I imagine the crews of these old birds won't mind seeing them off to the graveyard.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 8:03 pm

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
CRJ's are a lot more fuel efficient and modern and are outstanding small jets.

Eventually those CJR200's will be older and will need to be replaced as well with a more modern jet in the future.
CRJ200s are outstanding only in the amount of pain they inflict on their pasengers. Most uncomfortable plane in the skies unless you're four feet tall. I'm glad DL is finally seeing the light and parking some of them. I'll take a 35 year old DC9-50 over a CRJ any day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.