Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Your 2012 Choice Benefits and what you plan to do with it.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2011, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Kryptonium-Platinum Medallion, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond

Hey guys, just wanted to know what your plans are with your new bennies. Anybody who have redeemed their benefits for 2012 earlier this year can share as well.

As for me, this lowly PM was contemplating about taking the SWUs but I decided not to as I really can't see myself forking out the cash for the higher class fares.

So.. I choose the easy way out with the 20k miles which I intend to use towards my RTW Award tickets on Delta! 560k for 2 Business class RTW tickets is just too good to pass up. I know it's gonna be a challenge to build such a complicated award itinerary but one can dream right? Haha.

What about you guys, what Choice Benefit did you choose and why?
Old Oct 30, 2011, 5:48 am

Programs: Hyatt, Marriott, Delta, Alaska
I had some friends who were traveling internationally, so I took the SkyClub day passes (PM) and gave them to them, so that their several hours long layovers in Atlanta would perhaps be a little better spent.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 6:10 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
In the past I've chosen the hotel voucher and the SWU's. The hotel voucher had too many restrictions on it. I used all the SWU's and will probably choose them again this year. The fare upgrade can be as low as a$0 to $30 fare difference. You can't use them on a LUT fare ticket, but to upgrade to a K fare sometimes is very nominal. I think once this year there was no additional charge to move to a K fare in the system.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spartanflyer
In the past I've chosen the hotel voucher and the SWU's. The hotel voucher had too many restrictions on it. I used all the SWU's and will probably choose them again this year. The fare upgrade can be as low as a$0 to $30 fare difference. You can't use them on a LUT fare ticket, but to upgrade to a K fare sometimes is very nominal. I think once this year there was no additional charge to move to a K fare in the system.
Have you had experience using this on international flights? Can you share how the process was of upgrading with the SWU?
Old Oct 30, 2011, 7:35 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AirForceFlyer
Have you had experience using this on international flights? Can you share how the process was of upgrading with the SWU?
For international, it needs to be an M fare or higher, which is the extra money many folks don't want to spend. An international LUT might be $1000, and an upgradeable M fare on the same flight $3000. And if planning in advance, a purchased BE ticket might also be about $3000. Thus the reason for much of the complaining about SWU's.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 7:38 am

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I've always taken the $200 delta credit.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by Seabilly
+1...not like I will not spend it.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 8:13 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by Seabilly
I've always taken the $200 DL Credit - comes in handy for MRs.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 8:46 am

Programs: DL EOS...
This time around I just took the 20k SM's.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I am either going for the $200 voucher or the SWUs. I would do the SWUs for sure if Delta would me use them on any purchased K fare if there were seats in First. After hearing the c omplaints about them on here, I am scared of booking a K fare and being told I cant use it on that flight.

For international I think they are a waste. I have seen BE fares on Delta as cheap as M fares and you get the 50% bonus miles on top of it.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 9:09 am

Programs: AA, EXP. DL, DM 1MM. HHonors, Diamond. Hertz, PC. National, EE.
I always get the Tiffany's gc for my wife, as a little thank you for running the show solo. She is up to $1200 and has not used one yet.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mcmitchell
I always get the Tiffany's gc for my wife, as a little thank you for running the show solo. She is up to $1200 and has not used one yet.
Nice! She could get some very nice bling-bling with that!
Old Oct 30, 2011, 9:29 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I am either going for the $200 voucher or the SWUs. I would do the SWUs for sure if Delta would me use them on any purchased K fare if there were seats in First. After hearing the c omplaints about them on here, I am scared of booking a K fare and being told I cant use it on that flight.

For international I think they are a waste. I have seen BE fares on Delta as cheap as M fares and you get the 50% bonus miles on top of it.
FYI, M fares you also get 50% bonus miles & MQM.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 9:36 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AA
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
^ +1
Old Oct 30, 2011, 9:45 am

Programs: DL Ham Samich
I should be a first time PM in the next month or so and I think I will probably opt for the gifting of medallion status. Anyone else go this route? Also, once I qual for PM and get my choice benefits for this year say in December, if I gift FO to someone, is that only good for 2 months or so?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.