Wiki Posts
Search

Energy Plus 10K

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2011, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Avis Preffered, Delta GM
Energy Plus 10K

I got a letter for 10K miles and 2 miles for every $1 i spend on electricity generation if I switch to 100% wind power. I did a quick search and did not see anything recent.

http://www.energypluscompany.com/del5651

Looks like about 3 months till I see if it worked.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 9:58 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by fujiteam
I got a letter for 10K miles and 2 miles for every $1 i spend on electricity generation if I switch to 100% wind power. I did a quick search and did not see anything recent.

I hope the wind never stops blowing for you then, no wind, no electricty.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:22 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Some power companies which give miles have jacked up prices compared to more traditional providers of power, as they seem to have found out that playing up the "you earn miles" angle -- and sometimes even the "green" (environmental) angle -- results in more profitable customers than would otherwise be the case for such power companies.

Just make sure that the power costs per unit ends up being cheaper for you. The miles may well not otherwise be worth it for a customer.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fujiteam

I got the offering as well. But all these firms jack up electricity in the deregulated marketplace. Noone can sell electricity cheaper than the regulated utility company.

It will jack up your rates more than the value of the miles you get.

I did take advantage of various offerings to wind up with Delta Skymiles before I took a single flight. But this is one of the few offerings where it won't be worth it.

The rate will increase at a higher ratio than the value of the skymiles. It is just simply not a good deal.

However to Delta's credit, I bet they got a kickback from the firm so it does add more revenue to the business model by offering it which eventually will go back hopefully into the business model proper.

Will I be taking advantage of it? No because I don't want to pay more in electricity rates.

I don't recall if I got a green energy (wind, solar, etc...) incentive, but if you don't mind paying more to save the environment, and they are truly committed to green energy then the price premium offered along with the Skymiles could be a worthwhile incentive.

All electricity on the grid is shared. No wind still means power. It just offsets some traditional generation in favor of wind energy.

As far as the bonus miles being 10,000 I guess you can always switch back if you feel the electricity rates are out of line if there is no contract.

But in general I bet you wind up paying a significant price premium with energy plus that won't make up for the 10,000 bonus miles.

I won't switch to things like this.

Last edited by adamj023; Oct 26, 2011 at 11:05 pm
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:15 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
100% wind power

I work in the power plant industry, and I know all electricty goes into the grid, I was just curious how they woukd no that he was only getting 100% wind power when it does indeed come from the grid.

Overall not a good deal.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 4:01 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by craig44485
I work in the power plant industry, and I know all electricty goes into the grid, I was just curious how they woukd no that he was only getting 100% wind power when it does indeed come from the grid.

Overall not a good deal.
I could be mistaken, but I believe that the grid will probably sell it to him in the form of Electricity + REC instead of giving him energy purely generated from Wind.

The REC, would allow him to claim he is using energy from Renewable Energy Source (in this case Wind), as the REC he purchases entitles him to claim that his Electricity is Wind generated.

I wouldn't worry about the wind blowing to be honest. It would not be economically feasible to distinguish green and non green and/or lay separate cables from the grid so that he gets 100% pure Wind Electricity.

Last edited by DHalltheway; Oct 27, 2011 at 4:08 am
Old Oct 27, 2011, 6:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
I've compared my electric bills before and after and really don't see any significant differences in the amount I am paying. I'm waiting for my Continental bonus miles to post, then will make the switch so I can get Delta miles.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Avis Preffered, Delta GM
in CT the provider is CLP and they let you choose the supplier. I had already compaiered prices and I was using 100% wind power. It was like $0.10 cheaper per kwh than the standard supplier. I could have saved an addition $0.07/kwh with somethign not 100% renewable. I went for the offer and I understnad the 10% marketing they do and I may end up paying somethign like $0.05/kwh. I live in an apartment and my worst month int eh last 11 was $150 but I average around $40.

As far as me getting 100% wind, this is my take. CLP needs to supply X amount of electricity in a given day. They don't own a power plant (maybe they do, idk). THey buy power form power plants (suppliers). My portion of X will be purchased from 100% wind. My neighbor's portion of X will be purchased from coal. Since we are on the same line from the street we get the same electricity. Everyone drinks from the same tap, I just help fill the tank with wind power.

At any rate even if it costs me $20 more to get the 10K miles that is still pretty good.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 4:51 am

Programs: AAMastercard, ChaseSouthwest
I just received this off yesterday for A Advantage for 10k. I was also looking if this would be beneficial.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
I tried it back in 2010, In the end after 6mths was paying more than if I had stuck with CL&P. When I called to cancel they offered a special "business" account which would reduce my billing rate, said no thanks.

There is no guarantee it will be cheaper.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
My town has private energy supplier so couldn't sign up for that even if I wanted to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.