Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Expands Popular 'Economy Comfort' Brand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Expands Popular 'Economy Comfort' Brand

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:28 am
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

Programs: SkyMiles
Originally Posted by TTT
Hate to post from airliners.net, but there is a good fleet breakdown there.
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/5284772/
Reply 5

The big shocker - if that thread is true - is that the A320 is going from 16F to 12F. New config is now 12F/18EC/120Y

Also MD90 goes from 16F to 12F with 12F/15EC/134Y
Just a head's up here that our fleet people pointed out - some of this information may not be as accurate as it seems. If I can track down details, I will but it might take me some time to sort through this...
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by skymilesinsider
Just a head's up here that our fleet people pointed out - some of this information may not be as accurate as it seems. If I can track down details, I will but it might take me some time to sort through this...
Thank you!
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:32 am
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

Programs: SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
Thanks SMI!

Here is a big question thats being tossed around...does EC affect in any way the complimentary upgrade structure? Does a FO who purchased EC have priority over a PM that wasn't able to select EC for free? (and a myriad of other similar scenarios..)
I'm already a step ahead of you and asked Michelle to jump in from a SkyMiles perspective. Stay tuned...
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I don't believe that they will lower the FC seat count on MD90s and A320s for a second. Airliners.net is full of misinformation....I'm thinking that post is just one great example of the BS people post on a public forum....
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:37 am

Programs: DL GM
They just raised the FC seat count on the MD90 from 12 to 16. I dont believe they will lower it again.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:38 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton, Hertz
How is the EC product any better than exit row?
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
"Similar to Delta's long-haul international Economy Comfort product, complimentary access to domestic and short-haul international seats will be available at booking to all SkyMiles Diamond and Platinum Medallions and customers purchasing full-fare Economy class tickets. Gold Medallion members will also have free access to these seats at time of booking, while Silver Medallions can purchase them at a 50 percent discount off the fee at time of purchase or can access these seats for free at check-in."
I guess the best course of action would be for a FO to select the exit row seat during booking and wait until check-in to see if an EC seat is available?
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:39 am

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
A victory for the 6'4" guys of the world like me!

As I read it, and it's obviously still a work in progress, but it sounds to me like the addition of these seats will have no impact on any existing domestic operational policy except boarding order.

So for GMs and up the only change is that in addition to location, some premium seats will also have increased pitch.

For general members, the program is identical to the Int's EC, except for the absence of free alcohol.

The only group of people who is going to have to do some thinking are the FOs. As someone who is up against the dreaded down-grade in March, this defiantly makes me think about a MR or two.

But for people who don't have that option, I think the best play will be to monitor the seat availability, especially at the PM/DM and GM upgrade windows, and then decide whether to hold out for the u/g, pay for EC, or stick with the existing seat.

I do think there could be one issue that proves tough for GAs. When there are situations where you have Medallions sitting in Y as a result of SDC or Y+ = 0, and then a few Y+ seats open up at the gate, will GAs move these Medallions into Y+ before clearing pax with seat request cards into Y? If so, will they also extend this benefit to FOs (who had the option to pay for the seat). Or will they just fill what's open. I'm sure we would all prefer the former, but either way I think Delta will need a clear policy on this, and will need their GAs system-wide to follow the policy. Otherwise we will be waking up to Y+ Shena threads daily.

But every new policy has kinks, and I think this is a great improvement. It's also great to see SMI jump in quickly to answer questions, and offer to get clarification on other questions. This is a great chance for FTers to help work out the kinks in advance.

Great addition Delta.....now off to the MR forum!!
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:40 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by micstatic
How is the EC product any better than exit row?
You don't have to be responsible in EC.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
I don't believe that they will lower the FC seat count on MD90s and A320s for a second. Airliners.net is full of misinformation....I'm thinking that post is just one great example of the BS people post on a public forum....
That poster is a Delta rep. That is not a rumor. SMI is checking (I think) if it is the entire fleet of 320's and 90's but SMI did respond that there is a reduction.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sectflyer
They just raised the FC seat count on the MD90 from 12 to 16. I dont believe they will lower it again.
I am not saying its true but the person who posted that is a Delta rep...SMI of the fleet.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TTT
That policy is only for Medallions on full Y fares. I read the above quote as anyone (both with and without status) would have free access to EC.
So wait...if I am gold medallion on an L fare, is it true that I do not get complimentary access to domestic EC because I am not on a YBM fare? Do I get a discount at all on a lower fare?
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by avidflyer

So on the 319 they have 57 x -4 FC seats = a reduction of 228 FC seats
and on the 90 they have 26 of them losing 2 FC seat each = for a reduction of 52 FC seats. Total Domestic FC seat reduction = 280.
Not good.

Will they still have Donald Sutherland emoting about "more first class upgrades" in the commercials?

Anyway you look at this, this is grim.

This would make the 90 the worst plane in the system with respect to the ratio of Coach seats to FC seats (12.5 to 1) and the 320 the second worst (11.5 to 1). Compare this to the DC-9 with EC configuration (6.5 to 1). All other factors equal, it will be nearly twice as hard to get an UG on a 90 vs a DC-9.

(BTW Avidflyer... your table showed the MD90s losing 4 FC seats apiece rather than 2, and I assume you meant "320" and not "319")

As avidflyer noted:

Originally Posted by avidflyer
...EC is a good consolation prize but FC is the goal...
SMI... I would hope that DL management would recognize the PR downside to any FC seat reductions right now. A little respite from bad news from Virginia Ave would be timely relief right now.

Without FC reductions, I suspect this announcement will be met with nearly across-the-board enthusiasm and gratitude.

Any reductions in FC seats will tarnish the message.

Please lock the bean counters in a janitor's closet for a few days, and make this announcement a truly WIN-WIN situation.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:02 am

Will exit row fall under Economy Comfort?
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Without FC reductions, I suspect this announcement will be met with nearly across-the-board enthusiasm and gratitude.
This!

And yes I meant 320 not 319...my mistake.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.