Wiki Posts
Search

Using Skype in the Lavatory on DL

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP - 2MM +, CO, US, UA,SPG, Hertz Presidents Club
Using Skype in the Lavatory on DL

Just saw this... didn't realize the "stream" was strong enough for skype.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/...y-video_b89722
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
The "stream" is one thing, Gogo Inflight's ToS are another. Using Skype to IM is now explicitly allowed, but I think VOIP is still a no-no.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:32 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by LAXNYER

Sneaking into the lav with your laptop and using all the bandwidth available, even on a late night flight, is pretty "crappy."

In all seriousness, I thought the Gogo system recognized the bandwidth drain from services like Skype or Netflix and then reduced your speed as an incentive to get you to quit using that service.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:40 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I saw part of this interview on MSNBC (since my TV is just about permanently glued to it) and when they said he was in the lav on a DL flight, I was also wondering as to whether or not Gogo recognizes Skype and simply disallows it - - I guess now we know the answer!
Old Sep 29, 2011, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, MR Titanium, HHonors Diamond
Of course, if you're on a Saturday night flight from Detroit to Hartford, it may be possible. But, if you're on a transcon during the week, the bandwidth is typically so overwhelmed, simply checking e-mail at times is an arduous task.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 1:12 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Maybe GoGo knew what they were doing.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 1:54 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
I wonder if he informed the FA. I can see more than one potential issue if an FA spots a pax going into the lav with a laptop.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL EOS...
Don't need laptop, iPad II or iPhone on wifi can video chat or VOIP.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 2:45 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
"In the wee hours of the morning"
Old Sep 29, 2011, 4:15 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Hmm i thought gogo blocked the ports for VoIP communication?
Old Sep 29, 2011, 4:24 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
auto-flush?

Originally Posted by LAXNYER

Shouldn't be too hard to program the lavs to auto-flush every ten seconds when they sense electronic devices inside, the way smoke detectors work.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 4:26 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by Ti22
Don't need laptop, iPad II or iPhone on wifi can video chat or VOIP.
You don't need an iWhatever, many models up phones and "palmtops" have been doing this for years.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 6:24 pm
Company Representative - GogoAir

Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer
The "stream" is one thing, Gogo Inflight's ToS are another. Using Skype to IM is now explicitly allowed, but I think VOIP is still a no-no.
Spot on. While we definitely allow for the text chat/IM portion of Skype, using the service for voice/video calling is against our terms of service. There is a reason he conducted his interview in the lavatory, as I'm sure most pax would not appreciate a someone on the phone during their flight.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
You would think he would have learned his lesson when NBC suspended him a couple months ago for calling the President a bad name. Clearly this reporter thinks he is special or more important than "normal folk." Most of us stopped calling people those names and trying to get away with stuff when we became adults. There's something very off with that particular reporter.

On another level altogether, when I first saw that he was in the lav, I was just plain grossed out. No reporter should ever bring a camera into a bathroom, unless the particular story justifies being in the bathroom. I rarely turn Willie G off in the morning, but that pretty much did it for me.

MSNBC, which I watch in the morning, needs to hire someone who knows how to use the seven second delay.

Last edited by CJKatl; Sep 29, 2011 at 7:10 pm
Old Sep 29, 2011, 7:24 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Gogo
Spot on. While we definitely allow for the text chat/IM portion of Skype, using the service for voice/video calling is against our terms of service. There is a reason he conducted his interview in the lavatory, as I'm sure most pax would not appreciate a someone on the phone during their flight.
So, just out of curiosity, since he clearly violated the terms of service, does Gogo ban him for using the service in the future or make some sort of public service announcement so other pax don't get the idea that if they need to Skype that it's okay to lock yourself in the lav with your iPad?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.