Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International Upgrades at gate

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2011, 8:28 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
Asides from that, the way I understand things, your op up is not shown as such on the manifest so the FA's might not know you were an OP UP unless they inquired with the GA.
Actually op ups are on the paperwork so the FA knows who was bumped up.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Still waiting for my first ever Op up or Phantom UG if back. Was never lucky as a NWA PE and neither have any luck as DL PM or DM (DM for two RT's to Asia now)
You need to plan you travel around dates/time of year that your flight will most likely be oversold in Y.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by zsmith2
Thank you
Old Nov 7, 2011, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Silver
Happened once to me, SVO-JFK. Was offered a bump during OLCI, brought it up to an agent in the airport. She said "we are actually doing something different" and handed me J boarding pass.

Inflight experience was, well, average - but not sure if this was because of the bump or norm on this route.
(Dialogue in Russian:
- what wine do you offer today?
- Umm, red and white.)
Old Nov 7, 2011, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, DL reserve, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by zsmith2
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
Asides from that, the way I understand things, your op up is not shown as such on the manifest so the FA's might not know you were an OP UP unless they inquired with the GA.
Didn't know this either!

This year I've been lucky to get op-up on both directions at the gate and at check-in on the return. JFK-KEF-JFK My travel partner who was GM was also Op-Up. Great service with DM orders taken first.
Last year I was Op-Up on SYD-LAX and didn't know till I heard the beep scanning my boarding pass. I was one of the last to board (due to spending time in the air NZ lounge) and one of the young gate agents made a smart remark saying " oh you've been upgrade, you better behave yourself young man and cause no trouble!" I said, "yes Ma'am!" I kept it at that. Strange because I was at least 10 yrs older than her!
Once on board the purser was awesome and in fact took meal order by status. I was asked first in the front cabin.
Side note the flight to SYD (DL16/17)and back is often 100% full so Op-Up are likely.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tentseller
You need to plan you travel around dates/time of year that your flight will most likely be oversold in Y.
Which would be when to WE and when to Asia? I know the US market well domestically for my VDB's, but curious your thoughts on Op ups.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 8:55 pm

So it sounds like my bad experience wasn't out of the norm... And I wasn't going to drink myself silly; but only because I had an Audi A6 waiting on a Sunday morning for a long fast drive up the 3!

My flight back - empty so I didn't get an op-up... At least 2 BE seats were empty; pissed me off - I had even offered to pay for an upgrade at the counter.

Based mostly on another bad incident, I asked United for a status match and they offered the 1K to me - going to try them for awhile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.