Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International Upgrades at gate

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2011, 6:50 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
I read somewhere here that KLM on occasion offers paid upgrades into business at the gate, at least when flying Europe (probably ex-AMS) to US.
I was offered an upgrade to WBC on KLM last October LAX-AMS. It was €350 -- I had already paid €70 (IIRC) for EC so I passed. (Said I would if $350 or they credited me what I paid for EC but no joy)

Added: I've had 50 or so TATL Y legs the past five years, all on low fare classes and I have gotten one op-up from KLM (AMS-LAX) and one "phantom upgrade" MEM-AMS at the tail end of that program on NW. None at all on the 16 or so DL metal legs. I guess I am chopped liver

Last edited by TheMadBrewer; Sep 22, 2011 at 7:00 am
Old Sep 22, 2011, 8:13 am

Programs: DL DM. EK Gold. UA1K. BA Silver. SPG Plat. HH. Diamond.
Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
I read somewhere here that KLM on occasion offers paid upgrades into business at the gate, at least when flying Europe (probably ex-AMS) to US.
I saw it was not only possible to pay for an upgrade at the gate on KLM, but even once onboard.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 5:11 pm

I've heard...

So two fellow Diamonds on two separate occasions have told me that they were upgraded from deep discount to BE on trans-Atlantic flights. I have my first non-BE flight coming up in October (JFK-FRA). Can anyone say they've seen the same? Seems hopeful that I've heard this from multiple independent sources... Not looking forward to a 9 hour Steerage class flight....
Old Oct 13, 2011, 5:59 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cnoblesd01
So two fellow Diamonds on two separate occasions have told me that they were upgraded from deep discount to BE on trans-Atlantic flights. I have my first non-BE flight coming up in October (JFK-FRA). Can anyone say they've seen the same? Seems hopeful that I've heard this from multiple independent sources... Not looking forward to a 9 hour Steerage class flight....
The likely reasoning for this was oversells in Y and they got op-up's. Unless your flight is sold out in economy, don't expect an upgrade, as that is the only time this happens.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:23 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, United PE, American Plat, Southwest A-list, Starwood Plat, Avis First
So Delta willingly flies with empty seats in BE to protect their revenue from BE customers? Are they unique among big carriers in doing this?

I've asked at check-in for other airlines on the possibility of paying for a 1 class upgrade. BA were the last to do this for a $500 (PE->Biz) trans Atlantic. I only see Delta missing out on revenue here and wasting space. Last minute Y fares are generally a similar price to full BE fares so you can't have someone swapping out there ticket too quick.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mlad1101
The likely reasoning for this was oversells in Y and they got op-up's. Unless your flight is sold out in economy, don't expect an upgrade, as that is the only time this happens.
+1, no way are they mileage or SWU UG's, DL protects these down to the small print.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 8:28 am

Seems to me the SWU certs are close to useless. The only fares those are upgradable from are so closely priced to BE/First, most companies these days either book most logical lowest fare or BE. I haven't book YBM in so long, I don't even remember.

Anyone have experience with this?
Old Oct 14, 2011, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Seems to me the SWU certs are close to useless. The only fares those are upgradable from are so closely priced to BE/First, most companies these days either book most logical lowest fare or BE. I haven't book YBM in so long, I don't even remember.

Anyone have experience with this?
YBM's internationally are about $3000-$4000 for TATL and $3500-$4500 TPAC
Old Oct 14, 2011, 8:54 am

Programs: FB
Originally Posted by dancudds
So Delta willingly flies with empty seats in BE to protect their revenue from BE customers? Are they unique among big carriers in doing this?
Most European carriers have a similar strategy.

I've asked at check-in for other airlines on the possibility of paying for a 1 class upgrade. BA were the last to do this for a $500 (PE->Biz) trans Atlantic.
In case of oversold Y, KLM will do the same (as mentioned above).

For future reference, if an upgrade to Business Class is purchased on KLM the Economy Comfort surcharge will be refunded.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 9:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Flying time is 8 hrs and change. You'll be on a 757 so at leastt you'll have AVOD in Y. Enjoy.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Last minute Y fares are generally a similar price to full BE fares so you can't have someone swapping out there ticket too quick.
No, they are not. Example:

ORD-CDG for travel less than a week away without a Saturday night stay

There is a Delta B fare, BPXE1, that is SWU/mileage upgrade-eligible at $2685 r/t before taxes and surcharges.

The lowest confirmed Business Elite fare is D2FFUS at $8853. The lowest J-booking fare is $12664.

There are often discounted Business fares that aren't too much (maybe $500-$1000) more than upgradeable coach fares, but airlines (not just Delta) make those generally unattractive to business travelers with restrictions like 7-day minimum stays and 50-day advance purchase.

There's all sorts of discussion regarding SWUs and Business Elite 'protection' in this sticky thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...nt-thread.html
Old Oct 14, 2011, 9:46 am
Suspended

Not Likely

Originally Posted by DLATL777
No. Only if the flight is oversold and they bump you, but that is not likely either. Have a good flight.
No way. With that said, if the flight is oversold and your are a DM you might be upgraded. I am a DM and have been put in BE twice this year.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Platinum, AA Gold, DL Reserve, Cayman Silver, Avis Pref
I keep seeing posts about the oversold situation however I have been placed in BE x2 JFK-LHR. Not sure if its just luck but I recall seeing empty seats in E.

What is the consensus on TPAC upgrades? I was thinking of doing ATL-NRT-BKK in December.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 4:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I have recently seen TPAC M fares in the $4800 - $5600 range. A TATL M RT under $3000 has become very rare.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 5:12 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
"Flying time is 8 hrs and change. You'll be on a 757 so at leastt you'll have AVOD in Y. Enjoy. "

Actually they are 767 now, old birds they got from Gulf Air I think.
So far I had 8 TATL this year, I got upgraded once. (I am DM)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.