Wiki Posts
Search

International Upgrades at gate

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2011, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by jsmith50
Avid, I would absolutely agree with you that some probably does have to do with fare classes. However, if DL's policies are enforced uniformly, then by their own rules these types of op ups should not happen at all. I would add that I've been op up'd on a low fare class ticket this year when I had fixed travel dates and the company went with the cheapest fare. There is one other thread started today by a flyer saying part of the reason he has stayed with DL is because of the opportunity for intl op ups (wonder what fare classes he buys?). I think these things happen far more often than we want to admit. Personally, I would be fine with DL setting a policy and enforcing it uniformly even if it meant I never got another intl op up, just so I knew what to expect walking in to the airport 2-3 times/week. My point was really that you can't add a definitive "doesn't happen unless the flight is oversold and you get bumped" because it absolutely does happen!

What's your experience with this now that you've moved to AA?
Well it is completely different because I can buy an upgradeable ticket and do it ahead of time for sub $1500 (both UA and AA) so I am not at the gate wanting an upgrade. I did receive an UG from J to FC on a AA flight...wow...just wow but the planets aligned for me there.

I am not sure you are understanding what I am saying; I do not doubt you get them (and I have a couple of times) but it IS 100% NOT the amount you fly above DM. When I was with NW they did have a CRP system they were working with to also take your historic spend into account. That was stopped when the merger happened. I also know a few folks at DL's IT department and they are quite clear that there is no way for the Gate to know who you are beyond your status. That is just a fact. I am not saying it has not happened often but I too have flown 250k - 300k a year with Delta/NW up until this year and I have not received an inordinate amount of OP Ups.
\
Edit to add: If you ask 20 VFF's here on FT how many Op UPs they have got over the last year I would bet it is 1-2 (if any) out of 10-20 Int flights.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 4:45 pm
Xam

Programs: Delta Skymiles Diamond Medallion
Doesn't Delta have a policy that you cannot upgrade on Int (MBY), <24 hrs out?
Old Sep 19, 2011, 4:49 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Well it is completely different because I can buy an upgradeable ticket and do it ahead of time for sub $1500 (both UA and AA) so I am not at the gate wanting an upgrade. I did receive an UG from J to FC on a AA flight...wow...just wow but the planets aligned for me there.

I am not sure you are understanding what I am saying; I do not doubt you get them (and I have a couple of times) but it IS 100% NOT the amount you fly above DM. When I was with NW they did have a CRP system they were working with to also take your historic spend into account. That was stopped when the merger happened. I also know a few folks at DL's IT department and they are quite clear that there is no way for the Gate to know who you are beyond your status. That is just a fact. I am not saying it has not happened often but I too have flown 250k - 300k a year with Delta/NW up until this year and I have not received an inordinate amount of OP Ups.
\
Edit to add: If you ask 20 VFF's here on FT how many Op UPs they have got over the last year I would bet it is 1-2 (if any) out of 10-20 Int flights.
I completely understand and agree with you. I hear what you're saying about GAs not knowing the number of miles you fly, that they only see your status, which is absolutely true. I'm just saying, it would be easier for all and would eliminate all of these shena posts on here if DL would create a policy and stick with it. I don't care what the effect is on me. I'm really pretty low maintenance, I expect to get what I pay for and anything else is icing. But, to the average traveller who flies 1-2 times a year or even the FO who is flying 30K miles a year and doesn't understand how the system works, they rely on what they hear from GAs, FAs and from fellow travellers, including the ones that post on this board and they assume when something looks out of the ordinary that it's shena in action. But given the current climate with DL, it's impossible to say with such certainly that "it doesn't happen unless the flight is oversold" because we've both seen it happen, however rare it may be.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Xam
No. They dropped it a while ago, along with opening unoccupied seats to upgrades. Check waitlist provisions for SWUs:

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...erts/index.jsp
Old Sep 19, 2011, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
I'm confused... Didn't DL at one time (2007-2009) offer to "sell" upgrades at the gate? I know for a fact I've seen/heard the offer before for $500 for a TATL and $50-250 (depending on length of flight) for a domestic upgrade.

The problem is I can't for the life of me remember if that was DL but considering how much I've flown them, I thought it was.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 5:50 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by louis66
Hi,
Is there a way to obtain/buy an upgrade to BE at the gate for an international flight?
Is Delta willing to provide options for a GM (MM at that) to come up front at the last minute?
Thanks
Originally Posted by Xam
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
No. They dropped it a while ago, along with opening unoccupied seats to upgrades. Check waitlist provisions for SWUs:

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...erts/index.jsp
OP is a GM & thus not eligible for SWUs, correct? I long for the day when I used to get at least one as a lowly FO...has it been 10 years?

I think the simple answer to the OP's question is No. Unless of course you might be willing to pay the fare difference from whatever you booked to a true BE ticket, if that is even possible to do at the gate. If OP had booked a Y B M fare, is it eligible for a mileage upgrade at the gate (as a GM)? And if on one of those fares, wouldn't the OP have tried for it at booking, and thus be wait listed to clear closer to flight time?

Or, as others suggest, if the flight you're on happens to be over booked in coach & you're high enough in priority to be bumped up, maybe you'll get it.

Last edited by PRWeezer; Sep 19, 2011 at 5:59 pm
Old Sep 19, 2011, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by photojojo
I'm confused... Didn't DL at one time (2007-2009) offer to "sell" upgrades at the gate? I know for a fact I've seen/heard the offer before for $500 for a TATL and $50-250 (depending on length of flight) for a domestic upgrade.

The problem is I can't for the life of me remember if that was DL but considering how much I've flown them, I thought it was.
Domestically they do it very rarely and it is impossible to plan for. When they have a wide open FC I see them post the "Ask the GA about an upgrade to FC for $100" or whatever but with loads like they are it just never happens anymore. Internationally they do not do it at all. I have only ever got a "buy up" message at check in in AMS where KL still does sell last minute upgrades.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 9:21 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
My Op-Ups Have Happened Prior to the Gate Taking Over

The first time I was ever op-uped was on an LGW-BOS flight back in December, 2001 (my total RT price was $308). Y was oversold; I was a GM at the time, and I was bumped into BE (this is when the 767s had two BE cabins) when I checked in at the front counter.

As a member of DL's top tier, I've been op-uped once on a misconnect, and the upgrade took place at 9 am for a 2100 flight; another time when our JFK-FCO segment was cancelled due to a MX and we accepted a re-route to MXP where we got BE seating; and another time DUB-ATL where Y was oversold.

Last year, I thought I was going to be upgraded to BE at the scanning machine ATL-LGW, but I ended up being upgraded to exit row seat 10A when a new boarding pass popped out of the machine.

I've had DL FAs twice thank me for my business deep in Y and apologize that they couldn't move me up to BE.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
The easiest way is a return flight on KLM, since they do sell OLCI UGs (I've paid as little as 150 Euros). I tried on a recent JFK-AMS flight on KLM metal but operated at JFK by DL, and would have been able to--I don't know what price--had it not been an award ticket.

That said, it's been my experience, which I hope I'm not now jinxing, that intl UGs are not always that rare. I fly to Europe about twice a year, and in 2009 got BE on JFK-LHR as Silver, and this summer MUC-ATL as Gold--both without even asking.

Edit: forgot to mention that on all of the flights mentioned above I was on a LUT fare.

Last edited by ryanm; Sep 20, 2011 at 9:30 pm Reason: forgot detail
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:06 pm
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Originally Posted by avidflyer
If you ask 20 VFF's here on FT how many Op UPs they have got over the last year I would bet it is 1-2 (if any) out of 10-20 Int flights.
Originally Posted by ryanm
The easiest way is a return flight on KLM, since they do sell OLCI UGs (I've paid as little as 150 Euros). I tried on a recent JFK-AMS flight on KLM metal but operated at JFK by DL, and would have been able to--I don't know what price--had it not been an award ticket.

That said, it's been my experience, which I hope I'm not now jinxing, that intl UGs are not always that rare. I fly to Europe about twice a year, and in 2009 got BE on JFK-LHR as Silver, and this summer MUC-ATL as Gold--both without even asking.

Edit: forgot to mention that on all of the flights mentioned above I was on a LUT fare.
Avid, cool to see you back here. Anyway, your statement is just plain wrong. DL has a couple of routes (and all VFF's are well aware of that) that almost guarantee an op-up even on LUT fares for nVFF such as me (only having between 100k and 150k BIS MQM per year).

Especially the European routes are pretty heavy in Y due to DL's impossibly stupid market positioning as "holiday bomber" but super light in "real" business travels. Over the past four years, I have received op-up's: 100% BCN, 50% FRA, 80% MUC flights, pretty darn good in TXL, almost all CPH, and had a very good rate in summer CDG of > 40%. Another candidate city is PRG where I did receive an upgrade but were unable to make it to the plane due to a OK feeder flight delay.

AMS, at least for me, is some kind of an exception. They indeed try to monetise by selling really cheap upgrades in order to avoid op-ups.

I mean, those routes have been total firsts for me. When flying from CDG in June this year, I had a SILVER sitting next to me who was op-up'ed on a 50k COACH AWARD flight.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 1:41 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Cellisttoo
OMG, that is a hilarious question. What, do you think you are flying UA??? DL to "give away" something so precious as BE, not happening.
Are you aware of UA handing out non-opup upgrades at the gate?
Old Sep 21, 2011, 8:48 am

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by c_d
When flying from CDG in June this year, I had a SILVER sitting next to me who was op-up'ed on a 50k COACH AWARD flight.
I flew with a non-status work colleague who got a companion op up from our shared PNR from NGO-DTW this past June, so silver doesn't surprise me.

Last edited by jsmith50; Sep 21, 2011 at 8:48 am Reason: clarification
Old Sep 21, 2011, 9:15 am
Suspended

BE Upgrades

Originally Posted by DLATL777
No. Only if the flight is oversold and they bump you, but that is not likely either. Have a good flight.
Correct, but as a DM I have been upgraded on int'l flights a few times this year on oversold flights.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
Correct, but as a DM I have been upgraded on int'l flights a few times this year on oversold flights.
You just said the same thing he / she did.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mendel k
Somebody. I met in the skyclub in atl told me he met a 5mm who was always upgraded on intl flights so keep flying till u get that
Well, I wouldn't hold my breath til I reached 5mm to find out DL "changed" the rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.