Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX/DELTA "Free" companion ticket worthless

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX/DELTA "Free" companion ticket worthless

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2011, 6:07 am

Programs: Delta DM MM
Originally Posted by number21
As other’s have said, I don’t think your getting a true “A fare” to “A fare” comparison. The certificate is good for A, D, L, U, T fares – period. If in your search you have pulled up an A fare + Others – odds are you got 2 legs with an A + an I or S fare in the mix. This is a big no can do with the reserve certificate. Be flexible and you’ll find a fare that works for your certificate - it’s just not easy to find sometimes.

FWIW, I find the best deals for the certificate are on the L, U or Ts to high cost destinations.
Not true. Have been trying to use mine for almost a year. Direct A fare flights double or triple with cert. same flights, same fare classes throughout and same restrictions. Example, SDF-LAS 2x more, CVG-LAS 1.5x more, SDF-SEA same price. All same fares. After checking hundreds of itins over the last year I have figured out my home airport. The cert prices out itins as refundable tickets. In other words, the $800 SDF-LAS A fare goes to $2000+ A fare. If you check on A fare and check refundable, it prices out $2000+. However, using the cert makes it nonrefundable. Also, LUT fares price out $1000 from my home market.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 8:29 am

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by dickinson
I use the companion certificate for coach fares. Great deal, and definitely not "worthless."
Looks like the problem is mostly if used for First Class? I also use mine for coach and haven't had any issues both times I've used them.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 8:39 am

Programs: Delta - GM
It truly does depend on the route as well. I have been able to use mine (frist class) from GRR to LAS and to ATL before without the huge jump in fares other see.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Just tried pricing. JFK-LAS in Nov.

With cert 1750, without cert 2100. So for $350 in savings my companion loses 6800 MQM's and RDM's. While it is a savings (except for the loss of miles), it is NOT a two for one, it's a two for one point seven five.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I really wish Delta would get this fixed... this has been a problem ever since they added P fares, and then got worse earlier this year for some reason.

The companion cert is supposed to price as a normal A fare as the x-UP that you could find by a normal first class fare search. However, the system seems to like picking much more expensive full Y fares depending on the route and putting them into the A inventory, as well as the "refundable" fares.

If you try calling you get transferred a few times to the promotions desk and an agent who often comes up with some crap about the cert using a true A fare and not an x-UP... however this is no such thing as a "true A" fare. ALL A fares (as well as all P fares fares) are based on an -UP. A is an inventory bucket that a -UP books into. So don't let an agent tell you that lie, since last year I used my cert companion A cert and it booked as H-UP. This year I couldn't use it online and had a mess for a while with the cert pricing as 3x the normal A fare so contacted someone on the inside who helped and had a real supervisor agent look into it, and magically the fare pricing got corrected and they booked the ticket and it came in as the normal first class fare which was a B-UP in this situation.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 10:40 pm

YOU ARE 100% Correct...

I will go on record stating - Delta officially SUX...

I have almost 1M miles with Delta - and have been a triple platinum and Diamond Med member....

I started my own biz 2 years ago and grounded myself a bit - and lost my status (thank god)!

I JUST went to use a Delta Reserve companion ticket and Delta is showing once again that they don't care about the passenger...

$1282 R/T from ATL to SFO in October --- total - 2500 for 2 people 1st class

With Companion Ticket --- $2382 - So BASICALLY - I am buying 2 R/T Tickets on Delta...

YEAH _ NO --- I'll use another airline before I let this type of BS fly...

Glad to be able to still have the Air Canada perks --- at least flying Coach with them is 100% better than flying any class with Delta...

They are becoming the NEW United...
Old Sep 5, 2014, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by paterwdb
I will stick up for the OP in saying that the Reserve companion cert has recently significantly lost its value for me. In the past, as long as there was an A fare -- any A fare -- I have been able to book it using the cert.

Now that it is all through the system, you can go to book the A fare, yet when you indicate you are using the cert, the fare (still in A bucket) skyrockets and it no longer is worth trying to use the cert at all. I have tried it in numerous markets. Eventually you are able to find one where the A fare without the cert is not much lower than with, but that is rare.

I agree that the cert has very little value to me whatsoever. FWIW, I have never tried to use it to fly in Y, and wouldn't.
I agree. From SLC, if one tries to book using the certificate, many fares come up, but then the cheap ones all say something like not available when you try to book. I can understand if not all A seats for purchase are made available for certificate use but it sure would be nice if the web site did not present options as available for certificate use and then say no go after going through the process of selecting flights etc. Just a huge time sink and very disappointing.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt D
Alaska Airlines has a similar certificate to use with their VISA card. Much easier and transparent product to use. I have used the Delta AMEX certificate a couple times as well and what a pain. I can usually make it worth while but it requires a lot of searching. Delta AMEX have a much different approach to "customer service" than Alaska and VISA.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
You should call and ask to speak with the promotion desk. They seem to have many glitches with this recently.

I too ended up online coming up with ridiculous fares, but when I called in the fare was fair.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Do we really have to recreate this thread every week?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by gooselee
Do we really have to recreate this thread every week?
And we will resurrect it to

Once again I am amazed how they can get away with this. In this booking I would save $800 NOT using the companion certificate

Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
What the dates you're looking at? Can't see from the images. Also, what booking class does it give you for the normal non-cert flight?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
I just used mine for a LGA-ORD round trip. Saved $275, already covered the cost of the card for the year.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
not "worthless" by any means: SEA-ATL-MSY/MSY-MSP-SEA, desired dates in early May; return flight is about 2 hrs later than ideal but still at a civilized time; $342 all-in for two with EC seats

unfortunately no UGs on these tickets (SEA-ATL is a BE-configured (26J) 763)
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Wife is riding for free with me to HOU as we speak. A third ticket (also X) was the same price as my ticket. So sometimes it works out...for me, to the tune of $450.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.