Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta IT Strikes Again! - Upgrade Eligible vs. Request

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta IT Strikes Again! - Upgrade Eligible vs. Request

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2011, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
I've noticed that it happens every time that I price a trip on Kayak and port it over to DL.bomb. Even if I am logged-in, it never requests the upgrade.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond; SPG Gold; MR Platinum :)
Originally Posted by jeff30189
For the third time in the past few months, a pending reservation was changed to Upgrade Eligible rather than the Upgrade Requested without any actions on my part.

No, the reservation was not made via Kayak or other third party. No, I did not decline the upgrade during the booking process. Yes, I checked after making the reservation to ensure that "requested" appeared in my profile.

Checked this morning and sure enough I'd been downgraded to "Eligible" 2 days before my departure. A call to the DM desk was no help whatsoever. No manual fix on their end, no answers as to how it happened, only an offer to give me the number to "call online support".

If it's a short flight I dont really care if I miss an upgrade. But on a 4 hour transcon it's a big deal, one of the very (VERY) few reasons that its worth continuing to travel with Delta. There is clearly some sort of IT related glitch that causes this to happen, but so far no one can give me an answer.

So, anyone who has had this happen to you, you may want to check your upgrades when you get to the 5 day window to ensure that they go thru as anticipated (monetization routes not included, you know you're waiting until the day of departure anyway).
I noticed something similar yesterday and again today. Mrs. Monsrt is GM and flying on an award ticket on Friday (two legs). both legs went from Upgrade requested to Upgrade Available with a check box, each leg on separate days. I had to click the check box and hit submit. Upgrades cleared immediately. Maybe the auto upgrade didn't click over yet so I'm not sure. I was monitoring system because my upgrades had already cleared 7 days out JFK to LAS
Old Sep 2, 2011, 7:05 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
It happened to me for a flight next week. On Delta, not Kayak, paid, not an award.

A two second phone call to the DM line corrected it but to DL IT
Old Sep 3, 2011, 5:36 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
It happened to me on 4 trips booked with a non-status companion in the same PNR. I called & got a nice young lady in the Tampa resv. center. She had to look up the rule that companions were eligible if in the same PNR & then it took her 2 min. to change all 4 res. from "upgrade eligible" to "upgrade requested", including the domestic portions of an int'l flt in one res.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold
Just ran into this myself for our honeymoon in November... was booked as 'Upgrade Requested' and it magically changed to 'Upgrade Eligible' when a flight number was swapped out last week (same time, same everything, DL just changed the flight number).

Booked via Delta Vacations, btw.

Time to call the Elite line...

Last edited by stdatwmu; Sep 8, 2011 at 5:41 pm Reason: added info.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 12:56 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Just happened to me for a flight on Friday (10/7). I've been checking my itins daily and saw that it went from Requested to Eligible sometime between yesterday afternoon and this morning. Of course, it's also when DL finally decided to finally process upgrades for the flight and I missed getting one for now. DM line was helpful/sympathetic but had no idea why/how it happened. DL's response to my email was typical -- blamed me for declining the upgrade and included the oh so helpful instructions not to do it again.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
It happens when I use kayak to start the booking @deltaassist told me the easy way to avoid the issue is to book through dl.com.

I promptly replied that I would, if it had the search features and capabilities of kayak.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lsugolfer
It happens when I use kayak to start the booking @deltaassist told me the easy way to avoid the issue is to book through dl.com.

I promptly replied that I would, if it had the search features and capabilities of kayak.
Considering it happened when I booked via Delta Vacations (yes, I know, technically a separate entity... but still!) I wouldn't put much faith in that either.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 5:45 pm

How I ended up with Upgrade Eligible status

I booked a short flight on a CRJ200 (no first class). A few weeks later Delta changed the equipment to a CRJ700 (has first class). At that time I noticed that my flight status was Upgrade Eligible. So it appears that equipment changes may be affecting the Upgrade Eligible/Upgrade Requested status.

There's also no way evident on the web site to change from upgrade eligible to upgrade requested. I called Delta and asked them about it and they were more confused than I was. After about 30 minutes they were able to get my status changed. They also told me that in the future I could remove my SkyMiles account number from the record, then re-add it which should change all of my flight segments to Upgrade Requested.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL PM; AA EXP
Originally Posted by cvernon
I booked a short flight on a CRJ200 (no first class). They also told me that in the future I could remove my SkyMiles account number from the record, then re-add it which should change all of my flight segments to Upgrade Requested.
I just noticed an upcoming trip somehow got changed from Requested to Eligible. I tried removing SM number and then re-entering it, but that didn't work. Only took a minute on the DM line to change it though.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL Platinum
Thanks for the post. I just checked my upcoming flights and they are all "Eligible".
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:25 am

Programs: DL PM
Happened for Mrs.YLD's flights next month. Yes, Kayak was used to search for flights originally.

Funny thing is she was listed as "Upgrade Eligible" for an international segment and "Not Upgrade Eligible" for the domestic segment. How unprofessional is this IT department of a multi-billion dollar company?

Got it fixed after calling up, but this affects the pecking order, right? After medallion status and fare class, the next criterion is upgrade request date. Typically that is the ticketing date, but in this case, instead of weeks ago, won't it be today?
Old Dec 22, 2011, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond; Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by YesLetsDiscuss
Happened for Mrs.YLD's flights next month. Yes, Kayak was used to search for flights originally.

Funny thing is she was listed as "Upgrade Eligible" for an international segment and "Not Upgrade Eligible" for the domestic segment. How unprofessional is this IT department of a multi-billion dollar company?

Got it fixed after calling up, but this affects the pecking order, right? After medallion status and fare class, the next criterion is upgrade request date. Typically that is the ticketing date, but in this case, instead of weeks ago, won't it be today?
The good news is that it's not upgrade request date; it's the date and time of making the original reservation.

Suggestion: Use kayak or another site to search for flights if you want, but make all reservations through delta.dumb. Yes, it can happen even then, but then it is mostly due to equipment changes or schedule changes, and at least there you'll get an e-mail that your itinerary has changed and you can then go check to make sure everything is still OK.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by mfdesquire
The good news is that it's not upgrade request date; it's the date and time of making the original reservation.
Is that the case now -that would be good to avoid issues like this? But, I thought it was the other way around meaning its the request time which is typically the ticketing time, but like in this case not necessarily so.

Originally Posted by mfdesquire
Suggestion: Use kayak or another site to search for flights if you want, but make all reservations through delta.dumb.
Reservations are made on delta.dumb. Kayak doesn't do reservations. After selecting the flights, you are completely transferred to Delta's website where all reservation related info is entered and the reservation made.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL-PM/SC; UA-1K; HH Diamond
Not sure if DL ever fixed this or not, but as of last night my 5 legs for next thurs/Fri were "requested". Checked EF enroute from LAX to ATL this afternoon and all flights were V9. When I didn't get the great upgrade email tonight, I checked and saw the itn now showed eligible. Called the DM desks and was accused of "unchecking the box". Told him I have no idea where this box is to even unchecked it and asked where it was. He of course had no idea. I am now requested, but all 5 flights are now V0. Big bummer!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.