Wiki Posts
Search

Benifits of PM over GM

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2011, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Benifits of PM over GM

My return trip home should put me over into PM from GM, what differnen benifits can I expect as a PM?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL - KM DM, DL 1.57 MM, UA - 1P, AA - EXP HH - Diamond, PC - Platinum, SPG - Gold, Hertz 5*
You get to learn half the DM secret handshake....
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, Delta AMEX Reserve, Ritz-Carlton Gold, Priority Pass
I've been wondering this as well, as I am considering chasing PM this year. I already know the tangible benefits I'd get, like choice benefits, higher upgrade priority, etc.

Is it really a big difference? Are you getting upgraded "every" time?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hertz Gold PC
Originally Posted by craig44485
My return trip home should put me over into PM from GM, what differnen benifits can I expect as a PM?
+ More frequent upgrades. Never miss one since I'm a PM even on DTW-SAN, ATL/JFK-SAN and reverse.
+ Free EC.
+ Medallion Choice Benefits.
? Probably better availability on the worst of class award calendar.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Probably the most significant in my opinion is the waived fee for award changes/redeposits. However, this benefit is seemingly being hacked away at by DL, as it no longer applies within the last 72 hours before a flight.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 1:54 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
As a PM I always get an upgrade unless I fly through ATL. I live in MSP and fly mostly to SEA or BOS/PVD plus a couple of international flights a year.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 2:00 pm

Programs: Delta SKYMILES GM 1MM, BRITISH AIRWAYS GOLD, HHONOURS DIAMOND, PRIORITY PASS
Originally Posted by javabytes
Probably the most significant in my opinion is the waived fee for award changes/redeposits. However, this benefit is seemingly being hacked away at by DL, as it no longer applies within the last 72 hours before a flight.
+1. Great for booking an award well in advance just in case, as you can always cancel and rebook
Old Aug 25, 2011, 2:14 pm

Programs: Delta Millionmiler and DM HH Plat Priority Club Plat
You will have priority over GM and SM but lower than DM and then it will still go by ticket class within the PM status. I was PM with NWA for 4 yrs prior to the merger and missed an upgrade only a couple of times. With Delta and PM now it get about 80% of the time. Will see how DM will treat me as I will hit it this year.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hertz Gold PC
Originally Posted by javabytes
+1, it's significant benefit even with weird T-72 rule.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by inno.SAN-ICN
+1, it's significant benefit even with weird T-72 rule.
Agreed. You can still book and rebook for free. IMO, I think I will know 72 hours before I leave if I'm going to be using an award.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM (FO soon), A3 Gold, TK Classic Plus, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by tikiboy
Agreed. You can still book and rebook for free. IMO, I think I will know 72 hours before I leave if I'm going to be using an award.
Be nice to have recourse when things change last-minute, though.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 4:32 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by mattsteg
Be nice to have recourse when things change last-minute, though.
Yeah, like with the hurricane. Someone on the hurricane thread is trying to figure out his (limited) options with his flight tomorrow not being canceled, but his return flight on Sunday probably being canceled.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM (FO soon), A3 Gold, TK Classic Plus, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by fti
Yeah, like with the hurricane. Someone on the hurricane thread is trying to figure out his (limited) options with his flight tomorrow not being canceled, but his return flight on Sunday probably being canceled.
With a reward trip booked for next year with an open-jaw in the middle of the indian ocean, such an occurrence is certainly on my mind as well...
Old Aug 26, 2011, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Thanks for the information. I was really curious how it would effect my chances of scoriing an upgrade on international flight as I fly PIT/DTW/NRT/ or NGO/MNL every 2 months. Those long haul flights are killers in coach, even with EC.

AS a FO and a GM I have yet to miss and upgrade on any domestic flight yet, though many are on the CRJ.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by craig44485
Thanks for the information. I was really curious how it would effect my chances of scoriing an upgrade on international flight as I fly PIT/DTW/NRT/ or NGO/MNL every 2 months. Those long haul flights are killers in coach, even with EC.
Practically zero. DL does not upgrade Medallions to Int'l BE. The only reason you would get an upgrade is if they oversold Y (called an Op-Up). As a PM, you might be slightly higher on the list for an Op-Up, but I would not consider this to be a material benefit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.