Wiki Posts
Search

Swimming Across the Atlantic

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum; Harrah's Diamond; Hilton Diamond
Swimming Across the Atlantic

We are scheduled to fly to Berlin in April and apparently DL has cancelled the JFK-TXL flight. Of course we have not been notifed nor have we been rebooked. As of now DL has us arriving in JFK and returning from TXL. I am a good swimmer, but not that good! Sigh.......
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Seth
We are scheduled to fly to Berlin in April and apparently DL has cancelled the JFK-TXL flight. Of course we have not been notifed nor have we been rebooked. As of now DL has us arriving in JFK and returning from TXL. I am a good swimmer, but not that good! Sigh.......
Check the alternative(s) you want and call DL ASAP. Once DL starts rebooking & notifying, the "good" alternatives may be gone. You have a window which may run from a couple of hours to the rest of the day.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:50 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM; EK Silver; HH Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Check the alternative(s) you want and call DL ASAP. Once DL starts rebooking & notifying, the "good" alternatives may be gone. You have a window which may run from a couple of hours to the rest of the day.
+1 Spend a few minutes doing your homework and then call.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irfan23
+1 Spend a few minutes doing your homework and then call.
Unfortunately, all the alternatives are significantly less appealing than the initial routing. This is going to be interesting.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:19 am
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
DL is "planning" to resume that route in March, 2012.

EDIT: And there are no real good alternatives. A morning rush in AMS, a marathon in CDG, or a train ride from STR, MUC, DUS, or FRA. TXL is pretty lost when it comes to ST connections.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unfortunately, all the alternatives are significantly less appealing than the initial routing. This is going to be interesting.
There is always a "least unappealing." If you have the specific carriers & flights in hand when you call and make the specific ask for that routing, you will do better than what DL will offer.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM; EK Silver; HH Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
There is always a "least unappealing." If you have the specific carriers & flights in hand when you call and make the specific ask for that routing, you will do better than what DL will offer.
Exactly. It sucks, but the moment you are in this situation, all you're hoping to do is stop the bleeding asap, and you are better suited to do it than most given your access to FT and knowledge of how the system works. Best of luck.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:51 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
You can always get a refund from DL and find another airline to give you a similarly less appealing alternative. As was said, you need to figure out which is "least unappealing."
Old Aug 17, 2011, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by c_d
EDIT: And there are no real good alternatives. A morning rush in AMS, a marathon in CDG, or a train ride from STR, MUC, DUS, or FRA. TXL is pretty lost when it comes to ST connections.
Another Skyteam option would be JFK-PRG on DL with an onward connection to TXL on OK.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 4:24 pm

Programs: Delta DM / Hilton Diamond
United (Continental) flies from EWR to HAM which is the closed int'l airport to Berlin.
I've used that route once and it was not bad. The central station is easily accessible from the airport and Hamburg is a great place to spend a day or two before going on to Berlin if you're so inclined.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 4:40 pm
c_d

Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer
Another Skyteam option would be JFK-PRG on DL with an onward connection to TXL on OK.
Only one connection per day, you either have to wait for an eternity or cut it too close and be stuck in PRG for a day. Also, the connection is on an ATR turboprop: loud, uncomfy, and shaky (in the winter).

Originally Posted by FlyingForEternity
United (Continental) flies from EWR to HAM which is the closed int'l airport to Berlin.
I've used that route once and it was not bad. The central station is easily accessible from the airport and Hamburg is a great place to spend a day or two before going on to Berlin if you're so inclined.
CO is flying directly into TXL. So is AB.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 5:48 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by c_d
DL is "planning" to resume that route in March, 2012.
How do you find that type information out? I just downloaded a new PDF and all it says is discontinued on Sep 2.

Kind of a difficult choice for the OP if this is correct though. His ideal option would be just to sit tight and wait for the flight to be reinstated.

But if that does not happen, he might be have to take some serious swimming lessons.

Decisions, decisions....
Old Aug 17, 2011, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by fti
You can always get a refund from DL and find another airline to give you a similarly less appealing alternative. As was said, you need to figure out which is "least unappealing."
Wouldn't that make a helluva marketing campaign?

"We know you have a choice of airlines to fly. Rest assured that we bust our butts each and every day to make sure that we are the least unappealing airline."

Ranks right up there with "We have your back."
Old Aug 17, 2011, 7:19 pm
c_d

Originally Posted by exwannabe
How do you find that type information out? I just downloaded a new PDF and all it says is discontinued on Sep 2.

Kind of a difficult choice for the OP if this is correct though. His ideal option would be just to sit tight and wait for the flight to be reinstated.

But if that does not happen, he might be have to take some serious swimming lessons.

Decisions, decisions....
Plat line, Purser at DL79 two weeks ago, DL staff at FRA, and the "Delta" (Globeground) staff at TXL. I put it in quotes because we all know how much we can trust information from DL. Last time I checked was two weeks ago. My last info from DL was this route being "suspended" though and not "discontinued".

JFK-TXL; last flight Sep., 2nd; resumes March, 24th 2012
Old Aug 17, 2011, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exwannabe

Decisions, decisions....
I actually found this because I just happen to be looking to book a friend on the same flights we are on. Lo and behold, the flights did not pull up. I then pulled up my reservation and found the cancelled flight. I am surprised, if they plan on putting the flight back in service the end of March, flights for April are not listed.

I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions. FT rocks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.