Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Baggage check and positioning flight to JAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2011, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie

I bought one of the BE sale fares JAX-AMS offered a couple of months ago. The trip is in two weeks. My routing is JAX-ATL-AMS-DTW-JAX. I have positioning flights ATL-JAX / JAX-ATL. My connection in JAX, where I'll be turning around and flying right back to ATL, is about 90 minutes. Since I'll be in AMS for the better part of a week on business, I will need to check a bag.

Is it possible, upon checkin at ATL, to have the bag tagged simply on the ATL-AMS flight, so it does not needlessly follow me down and back from JAX?

If not, should I check it through all the way to AMS, even though on separate PNR's/tix? I know this is possible. Is it recommended?

The alternative would be claiming my bag at JAX and going straight to the checkin desk for JAX-ATL-AMS. 90 minutes total connection time would cut it close for the deadline to checkin for an international flight, wouldn't it? Or is JAX so efficient that I can rely on prompt delivery and easy checkin?
Old Aug 11, 2011, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
87 views but no responses. Can anyone give me some advice? JAX fliers?
Old Aug 11, 2011, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Is it possible, upon checkin at ATL, to have the bag tagged simply on the ATL-AMS flight, so it does not needlessly follow me down and back from JAX?

If not, should I check it through all the way to AMS, even though on separate PNR's/tix? I know this is possible. Is it recommended?
As an ATL flyer and 4K+ post FlyerTalker, you should know Delta's prohibitions against short-checking bags. You should also be familiar with U.S. security rules that dictate the bag follows you unless the airline deems that operationally inconvenient.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
As an ATL flyer and 4K+ post FlyerTalker, you should know Delta's prohibitions against short-checking bags. You should also be familiar with U.S. security rules that dictate the bag follows you unless the airline deems that operationally inconvenient.
As an ATL flyer and 4k+ post FlyerTalker, I'm apparently underinformed.

I don't know anything about Delta prohibiting short-checking bags. Nor do I know about any such U.S. security rules. What you've posted here only begs the question: would this situation be a time for the airline to deem it operationally inconvenient?

In any case, what's the recommendation? Through-check at initial checkin for the ultimate destination, AMS?
Old Aug 11, 2011, 8:33 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I have no personal experience with this (I'm a leisure traveler who can go for two weeks with one under-sized carryon) but in considering the risks I would vote for checking it through from ATL-JFK-AMS. If your ATL-JAX leg is delayed, picking up and rechecking a bag could mean the crucial time difference that would cause you to miss your connection. DL might even choose to check your bag directly ATL-AMS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.