Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Question for Vegetarians who Fly Internationally?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2011, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold

Quick question for the vegetarians who fly internationally - do you know whether having a special meal ordered impacts your chances of an op up?
Old Aug 7, 2011, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by jimrpa
Quick question for the vegetarians who fly internationally - do you know whether having a special meal ordered impacts your chances of an op up?
I've been told it does because if you have a special meal on order and you are in coach, if they give you an op-up they would have to find someone else in coach to take your meal....
Old Aug 7, 2011, 6:57 am

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Isn't there plenty of vegetarian-friendly food on the regular BE menu? There's always a pasta option and a big, fresh salad, to say the least.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
Isn't there plenty of vegetarian-friendly food on the regular BE menu? There's always a pasta option and a big, fresh salad, to say the least.
Not if your lactose intolerant.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 8:13 am

Programs: Skyteam
Tried all of them. Not very good at all.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 8:22 am

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
Originally Posted by Burj
I've been told it does because if you have a special meal on order and you are in coach, if they give you an op-up they would have to find someone else in coach to take your meal....
Yep... had it happen to me... When I asked at the counter, I was told that I didn't get the op up because of the special meal... The GA was still doing op ups and told me that if I agreed to keep the special meal from coach in first, I could have the op up... Since I didn't really care about the food, I got the op up, but was lucky that I was right there when she was doing them...

Lesson learned... never order a special meal in coach if you are hoping for an op up...
Old Aug 7, 2011, 8:26 am

Programs: Delta 1MM/DM, *wood Lifetime Gold
If you are don't have a problem with eating milk products, I would avoid the special meal. They are terrible. The make the regular airplane food seem like a gourmet meal. My advice is skip the special meal and pick a vegetarian friendly option from the menu (there is always something from both the BE and coach menu).
Old Aug 7, 2011, 8:37 am

Airline food? I don't care if it's veggie or not. Please save yourself the misery and grab something before at the terminal or bring something. The "snacks" aren't always bad.

The "beef" dish on last nights flight made me squirm just looking at it. The pasta dish didn't look as bad, but it may of had cheese or other meat sauce and so not good for a vegetarian.

Either way the airline food is less than appealing. i just had some nuts and vodka and called it a night
Old Aug 7, 2011, 9:27 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold
My one op-up came with a vegetarian meal ordered. You never know...
Old Aug 7, 2011, 11:19 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM; EK Silver; HH Gold
I've ordered a special Veg meal once. It was terrible and definitely not worth even a small chance at an op up. The BE meal service is now pretty solid and I can easily find veg options, or eat around meat if need be.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Thanks everyone. I sort of figured that, to maximize your chances, you didn't want to do anything that "stood out".
Old Aug 7, 2011, 4:09 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
As an aside, if you are truly lactose intolerant (and not just one of those heath whiners who don't even know what it means), then I would suggest you bring some food with you because the Y meals might not have a good selection. Do not count on the DL special meals ever really matching ones special restrictions.

And this goes double if you are sitting next to me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.