Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA EP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Platinum
IRS asks airlines to refund taxes

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/s...Top+Stories%29

and

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...html?portlet=6

Sorry if someone has already posted this...
Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:26 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Like we really expect the same airlines who raised their fares to compenstate for the decrease in taxes to really do this?!? I won't hold my breath!

And as the USA Today article states, the airlines are already balking.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:29 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Do airlines remit the taxes to the FAA at time of purchase or at time of travel?
Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

True.

From IRS:
"However, passengers who are unable to obtain a refund from the airline may obtain a refund by submitting a claim to the IRS. Because the IRS has no information about passenger ticket purchases or travel dates, travelers who are unable to obtain a refund from the airline will be required to submit proof of taxes paid and travel dates to the IRS under procedures that are under development. The IRS will provide additional guidance at a later date."
For me, my time is way more valuable than dealing with the IRS for air taxes.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTT
Do airlines remit the taxes to the FAA at time of purchase or at time of travel?
I would think it's a big bill with all the purchases and taxes remitted monthly. That's how the FCC collects its taxes from the phone/cable companies.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:48 pm

delta says: "Customers may be eligible for a refund..."

previously discussed here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...elates-dl.html

when i asked delta, this was their reply: (short answer)

"To address your comments regarding airfares, please allow me to explain that following the expiration of the Federal Aviation Administration extension, all of the major U.S. carriers adjusted their fares. Delta was competitive with other airlines in making that adjustment.

For customers traveling during the shutdown period, the tax previously paid may be considered an overpayment. Delta collects taxes at the time of purchase and passes them on to the government. Customers may be eligible for a refund, however, the policy is being reviewed as Delta awaits further guidance from the Internal Revenue Service on refund procedures."
Old Jul 27, 2011, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by jpmardini
I would think it's a big bill with all the purchases and taxes remitted monthly. That's how the FCC collects its taxes from the phone/cable companies.
I would think the question refers to the timing of the credit to that payment account rather than the physical (ok, electronic) transfer of money.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 6:50 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by TTT
The taxes are remitted to the IRS with Form 720 based on when the taxes are paid. The FAA has nothing to do with tax collection. See the link to the USA Today article in post #1.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 7:13 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DCBob
The taxes are remitted to the IRS with Form 720 based on when the taxes are paid. The FAA has nothing to do with tax collection. See the link to the USA Today article in post #1.
Yes - I meant the IRS. So taxes are remitted from the airline to the IRA at the time of ticket purchase. If so, the IRS would be the best source for a refund as they currently are in possession of the money. Why would the airlines refund something they no longer have?

Originally Posted by Pharaoh
I would think the question refers to the timing of the credit to that payment account rather than the physical (ok, electronic) transfer of money.
Thanks - yes I was meaning the timing of the transfer rather than the actual mechanics of it all.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by TTT
Yes - I meant the IRS. So taxes are remitted from the airline to the IRA at the time of ticket purchase. If so, the IRS would be the best source for a refund as they currently are in possession of the money. Why would the airlines refund something they no longer have?
While the IRS has the money, the airlines have the data on who is owed the money. The IRS could easily give the money back. Similarly, the airlines could easily (though probably less easily) give the data to the IRS.

This whole thing is going to cost someone money. Either the IRS is going to have to develop procedures to accept a new form, verify the tax was paid but was not due, and then refund it. Or, the airlines will have to analyze all of their passenger tickets and come up with a way of refunding the money themselves. Both of those things are a lot of work and therefore a lot of money. So, obviously the IRS and the airlines are pointing the finger at each other as being the responsible party.

It's not clear to me who is "right" from society's standpoint. Nor do I see why passengers should have a view as to who is right yet. I would assume passengers should want the easiest possible refund procedure. At the moment, both the IRS and the airlines are talking about a "request" process rather than an automatic process. So, it seems like either route is equally burdensome for passengers.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 8:38 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by TTT
Yes - I meant the IRS. So taxes are remitted from the airline to the IRA at the time of ticket purchase.
Having problems with acronyms?. Let's hope the airlines don't remit the $$ to the IRA (Irish Repulican Army)
Old Jul 28, 2011, 9:49 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by TTT
Yes - I meant the IRS. So taxes are remitted from the airline to the IRA at the time of ticket purchase. If so, the IRS would be the best source for a refund as they currently are in possession of the money. Why would the airlines refund something they no longer have? Thanks - yes I was meaning the timing of the transfer rather than the actual mechanics of it all.
The airlines can offset the amounts refunded against the amount due on Form 720 or claim a refund on Form 8849. Very simple for them to do. They have all the information electronically and any IT programmer with the proper training can write a program for passenger refunds. Whether Delta can do this is another question.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 9:57 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaDaDan
While the IRS has the money, the airlines have the data on who is owed the money. The IRS could easily give the money back. Similarly, the airlines could easily (though probably less easily) give the data to the IRS.

This whole thing is going to cost someone money. Either the IRS is going to have to develop procedures to accept a new form, verify the tax was paid but was not due, and then refund it. Or, the airlines will have to analyze all of their passenger tickets and come up with a way of refunding the money themselves. Both of those things are a lot of work and therefore a lot of money. So, obviously the IRS and the airlines are pointing the finger at each other as being the responsible party.

It's not clear to me who is "right" from society's standpoint. Nor do I see why passengers should have a view as to who is right yet. I would assume passengers should want the easiest possible refund procedure. At the moment, both the IRS and the airlines are talking about a "request" process rather than an automatic process. So, it seems like either route is equally burdensome for passengers.
That makes sense and I think you are right - the process will be burdensome for both the IRS and the airlines. I would not expect anyone who is due a refund to receive it in a timely manner unfortunately.

Originally Posted by fti
Having problems with acronyms?. Let's hope the airlines don't remit the $$ to the IRA (Irish Repulican Army)
Apparently Delta is more than welcome to remit money to my Individual Retirement Account though
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fti
Having problems with acronyms?. Let's hope the airlines don't remit the $$ to the IRA
They can remit the dollars to my IRA (Individual Retirement Arrangement).
Old Jul 28, 2011, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I asked Delta where I could get my taxes back from. They said to contact the IRS. Sounds like that is the avenue they have chosen, at least for now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.