Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shen? ATL-BHM

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2011, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Shen? ATL-BHM

Would someone with insight look into this possible Shen for me to determine whether I should write DL.
I was #1 or #2 on waitlist on DL 1033 ATL-BHM, 1 July, for comp ug with 2 F empty seats. At final call for all zones, I ask GA whether F has boarded full. She tells me that it has checked in full. Again, I ask if it has boarded full. She replies that there will no possibility of an upgrade so I board and take my coach seat. Just before the door closes, 2 pilots swoop onto the flight and take the two remaining F seats, 2A and 2B. These pilots did not work the return flight to ATL as the plane terminated and overnighted in BHM. For me, this no big deal as the flight is exceptionally short but I do want to keep informing DL when these Shen incidents occur.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Old Jul 5, 2011, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Its also a 23 minute flight, but I agree its worth just to report.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA Silver
It is possible that the pilots were deadheading (which is different from non-rev personal travel - nobody have a kiniption) and were going to work the first flight in the morning. Some CBA's do specify 1st class for deadheading crew members if available (I have no knowledge of the Delta pilot contract, but it is a possibilty).
Old Jul 6, 2011, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by redheadtempe33
It is possible that the pilots were deadheading (which is different from non-rev personal travel - nobody have a kiniption) and were going to work the first flight in the morning. Some CBA's do specify 1st class for deadheading crew members if available (I have no knowledge of the Delta pilot contract, but it is a possibilty).
Yes, I did think about this as a possibility but without someone with inside knowledge actually checking the records there is no way to tell for certain.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 8:43 am

Programs: DL PM
If they were deadheading, would they still have to wait til the last minute to board the way non-revs do, or are they confirmed on the flight in advance? (unlike non-revs) I really don't know, just asking.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
It may say it is a 23 minute flight, but you spend an hour in the seat typically if not more.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
It may say it is a 23 minute flight, but you spend an hour in the seat typically if not more.
+1. The flight is blocked at about an hour with a gear up to landing at about 20-25 min. The flt clears the 10k level, never really reaches a cruising altitude, and then the engines quickly rev back and the descent starts.The flt does one of these... ^
Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Gold), Marriott (Platinum), IHG (Gold), Hyatt (Gold), Avis First
Originally Posted by gsorob
+1. The flight is blocked at about an hour with a gear up to landing at about 20-25 min. The flt clears the 10k level, never really reaches a cruising altitude, and then the engines quickly rev back and the descent starts.The flt does one of these... ^
I would report it.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Report it.

Old Jul 6, 2011, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by ncwillett
If they were deadheading, would they still have to wait til the last minute to board the way non-revs do, or are they confirmed on the flight in advance? (unlike non-revs) I really don't know, just asking.
They have confirmed seats ahead of time.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 9:24 am
Original Poster

They have confirmed seats ahead of time.
Yes, true, but it is my observation when pilots/FA have confirmed seats when deadheading to a destination for work, they typically wait until all pax have deplaned before deplaning themselves. In this case, the pilots deplaned with the F passengers. The fact that these particular pilots deplaned quickly also raised my suspicions.
My flight arrived late enough into BHM that there were no other return flights to ATL that evening so these pilots would not be flying that plane, or a different DL flight, back to ATL that night, so there was no rush to their "assignment" and could have waited for the pax to deplane.
It is also my understanding that when deadheading home after completing their flights, crew members should not be upgraded to F over Medallion members. Medallion members should be upgraded first, then if any F seats remain the crew members may request them.
On the other hand, I have also sat next to and talked with crew members in confirmed F who were deadheading to a work assignment. This benefit, as you suggested, may be part of a contract between DL and its pilots.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.