Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Rules/law about getting off a plane connected to jetway

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rules/law about getting off a plane connected to jetway

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2011, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
I don't see an issue with it.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
Originally Posted by avidflyer
You missed the most obvious danger:

You could be walking right into a pretty major Lice infestation from the next flight. That could be quite dangerous..

Also, there could well be an Elite who was denied an UG on the prior flight in full battle with the GA in the Jetway. Try getting by that without injury.
Too funny !!!!!
Old Jun 30, 2011, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by PepeBorja

Likewise they could tell people the truth (for a change) and let them make their decision. Noble idea, I know.
I have been on the plane for a (non-WX) delayed DL flight (domestic) where we were not being kept adequately informed of the flight status.

I called SMS, got myself moved to the next flight, which was at the next gate and on time, (and, incidentally had FC still available... this was about 3 years ago... in the "Good Ol' Days).

I grabbed my carry-ons, told the FA what I was doing, and boogied on over to the new flight.

No issues.

My travel is 99% business travel. As an independent consultant (i.e., not on salary), if the airline delays me, I run a high risk of lost income (especially now, when there are far fewer second chances to get to your destination in a timely fashion when the original schedule gets screwed up).

I need the latitude to be able to compensate for the airline's inadequacies. I'll do what is necessary... as long as I am not seriously inconveniencing someone else.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by PepeBorja
The captain can't keep you from leaving the airplane. He has no authority to keep you a prisoner against your will. Only law enforcement can hold you and TSA would need to request a peace offer to come do that work. The TSA dudes ain't sworn officers.

If the airlines don't like people deplaning on these situations then they should stay away from a jet way and keep the door shut.

Likewise they could tell people the truth (for a change) and let them make their decision. Noble idea, I know.
Exactly -- they can't hold you prisoner when you have a safe means of exit, e.g. the jetway (subject, of course, to the hazards mentioned by avidflyer and others).

Once the jetway is pulled back, it's a whole different issue.

I would also argue that by virtue of the OP being rebooked on another flight, Delta had a contractual obligation to let the OP off, since that flight was now his/her connecting flight out of Memphis.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 5:42 pm

Programs: DL Kryptonium & Diamond & 2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
I have done this two or three times ( pmnwa days) and never had a hassle. Most of the time it was absolutely the right call. I agree that they have no power to force you to stay on if you are at the gate. Isn't that part of the reason for the passenger bil of rights? To allow people to get off while they are at the gate?
Old Jun 30, 2011, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've done this a number of times on a number of airlines for a number of reasons. On Virgin America, an FA told me, "You can't do that!," and I said, "Of course I can -- in fact, I'm doing it," and walked off (I refused to gate check a bag -- long story). Another time a flight on CO was diverted because of weather in the connecting city, and my TA booked me on a direct US flight from the diversion airport. The FA didn't want to let me off, but checked with pilot and he said, "Okay." The other times, nothing at all was said, and nothing adverse happened.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 5:54 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I don't see any problems with what you did. I think it is more "since a pax left the plane, we need to re-open the paperwork for the flight."

But your story is not totally consistent:

Originally Posted by jchock1
The captain asked that we remain on board...

Anyway, I don't know if I broke some law or rule by disobeying the captain (he never "ordered" us to stay on the plane, just "asked"), and there were many others on the plane who would have done the same thing, but didn't, since they were told they couldn't get off of the plane. I was the only one who left.
So only you were ASKED not to deplane, but the others were TOLD not to deplane? I don't understand why there were "many others" who "would have done the same thing but didn't" since they were "told they couldn't." Obviously if they really wanted to and you knew they wanted to (i.e. they voiced their desire to you before you deplaned), they certainly could have followed you.

That makes no sense but I chalk it up to inaccuracies on your part of what you remembered/didn't remember, not on the part of the GA/FA/pilots.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 6:07 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by fti
I don't see any problems with what you did. I think it is more "since a pax left the plane, we need to re-open the paperwork for the flight."
There would need to be new paperwork given the added fuel on board, it would be a matter of adjusting the # of pax. I can see the crew's point in not wanting a mass exodus that might cause things to be even more delayed. However, if a passenger wants off a flight, not much they could have done. Planes have turned back to the gate for pax who demand off even on taxi. This seems a no-brainer, let him off, change the pax #s while final paperwork is processed.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by PRWeezer
There would need to be new paperwork given the added fuel on board, it would be a matter of adjusting the # of pax. I can see the crew's point in not wanting a mass exodus that might cause things to be even more delayed. However, if a passenger wants off a flight, not much they could have done. Planes have turned back to the gate for pax who demand off even on taxi. This seems a no-brainer, let him off, change the pax #s while final paperwork is processed.
How would there be "added fuel on board" after a passenger leaves? The balance part of "weight and balance" might change, but that's rarely an issue with mainline aircraft.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 6:41 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by jchock1
A few weeks ago I was on a flight MCI-ATL-CLT, when ATL was shut down for some time due to storms and our flight from MCI-ATL was diverted to MEM due to lack of fuel to circle ATL.

We pulled into a gate, and the wait began. The captain asked that we remain on board until we were refueled, etc
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
How would there be "added fuel on board" after a passenger leaves? The balance part of "weight and balance" might change, but that's rarely an issue with mainline aircraft.
Check the OP. cheers.

To be technical about it, it may not, in fact, be paper, but an uplink via ACARS that would update the amount of fuel & pax on board.

Last edited by PRWeezer; Jun 30, 2011 at 6:50 pm
Old Jun 30, 2011, 6:52 pm

I was on the BSB-ATL flight a month or two ago when the 752 had multiple mechanical problems (I think the order was APU failed, left fuel pump, DC Xbar). We had left the gate and came back 3 times. A lot of people (mostly older Brazilians) got off the plane. The captain remarked that DL can't force them to stay and they removed their bags. All in, it was a 4 hour delay.

Don't worry though, this DM on an upgraded M got 5K SkyMiles out of it from customer care. /grin
Old Jun 30, 2011, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by jmvalley
I was on the BSB-ATL flight a month or two ago when the 752 had multiple mechanical problems (I think the order was APU failed, left fuel pump, DC Xbar). We had left the gate and came back 3 times. A lot of people (mostly older Brazilians) got off the plane. The captain remarked that DL can't force them to stay and they removed their bags. All in, it was a 4 hour delay.

Don't worry though, this DM on an upgraded M got 5K SkyMiles out of it from customer care. /grin
Yes for an international flight they would have to take off any bad bags (i.e. not attached to pax on board). Domestic it's not an issue. Yay for your extra miles.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL/NWA PM/PE
Actually, if they are not loading and unloading passengers federal law says that the boarding door at the concourse must be shut and alarmed. So if everyone is on the plane, that door is supposed to be shut. If the plane is in a holding pattern at the gate - that door is supposed to be shut. So if you leave the plane and go into the boarding bridge in that situation you could end up in trouble. If you open the door at the concourse without deactivating it - the alarms will go off and then you will have issues - even if you leave, they have you on camera and will try and find you. The flight attendants cannot normally deactivate the door. I understand what you are saying - I have done that multiple times, but I always ask the lead FA to get me off the plane so the door is open when I get to the top of the jetbridge. No sense in standing around listening to those horrible alarms
Old Jun 30, 2011, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rjnsystems
Actually, if they are not loading and unloading passengers federal law says

USC citation? It's going to take you a loooong time to find it.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL-DM, PC-PM
I was once on a MSP-DTW-GRR itinerary that the MSP-DTW diverted to GRR. They opened the door and I grabbed my bag and headed for the door. The FA started asking me what I was doing and after I informed her that it was my final destination she said that no one could get off the plane.

I just walked past her, stuck my head in the cockpit and asked the pilots if I could deboard as this was my destination. They just looked at me and said "yeah, why not?"

As I headed for the door, I saw at least 10 other people heading out. Sometimes diverts work in your favor!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.