Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How to get status updates on your cell phone?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2011, 6:14 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I have tried to setup my SKymiles account to receive status updates of my flights on my cell phone via an SMS message. But, it asks for an email address. I don;t have a data plan, so I don;t have internet/mail access on my cell phone. I o have an unlimited text plan though. Is there any way I can receive status updates to my cell phone number?
Once I was asleep in a hotel and left early in the morning. without checking my e-mail, only to find out at the airport that my flight had been cancelled. It caused me to lose a whole day. Instead of getting to Honkong 1t 10.m., I arrived in Hong Kong, the next day after 4:00 p.m. after going through multiple re-bookings and reruotings due to multiple cancellations.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The phone number@carrier format typically works for in-bound text messages, at least for U.S. cell phone carriers.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
My solution is to include an AS segment somewhere in my itinerary Alaska Airlines is super-proactive about sending SMS updates of flights (on their own metal, and that of other carriers).

Seriously, DL's insistence that status updates can only be send to web-enabled phones is totally retarded.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 6:44 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Status updates? Despite subscriptions otherwise, never receive status updates via email or voice or...
Old Jun 17, 2011, 6:54 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The phone number@carrier format typically works for in-bound text messages, at least for U.S. cell phone carriers.
I tried sending an e-mail to [email protected]. I didn't get it. I tried both [email protected] and [email protected]
Old Jun 17, 2011, 7:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Originally Posted by Yaatri
I tried sending an e-mail to [email protected]. I didn't get it. I tried both [email protected] and [email protected]
Thank you for a seed of an idea.
Here is what works for T-mobile phones.

[email protected] works. The phone number does not include the 1 before the area code.

For example, [email protected] works for tmobile phones.

For AT&T phones the following is reported to work.
<(phone number)@mms.att.net>
Old Jun 17, 2011, 7:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
Status updates? Despite subscriptions otherwise, never receive status updates via email or voice or...
Time to call Delta. My account was transferred from NW to DL upon merger. I also didn't use to get any status updates, upgrade notifications nor any emails about promotions.

I can't remember if calling them worked or going in to my account and reentering the information worked. This to a million miler diamond.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 7:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer
My solution is to include an AS segment somewhere in my itinerary Alaska Airlines is super-proactive about sending SMS updates of flights (on their own metal, and that of other carriers).

Seriously, DL's insistence that status updates can only be send to web-enabled phones is totally retarded.
+1 . Amen to that. My phone is web enabled, barely, so that I can access web-lite. But I refuse to pay for a data plan. With four phones it gets expensive. My sons have web enabled phones, but thy can manage without a data plan, as my older son uses the wiwfi in his school to access his e-mail and my younger son is too young to need it. He uses it at home to access internet through the home wifi.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 10:04 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
You will not receive regular flight notifications for flights unless you manually request each one. It is stupid, but that's how it works.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 9:43 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
You will not receive regular flight notifications for flights unless you manually request each one. It is stupid, but that's how it works.
You are correct, and it is stupid! The Blackberry app functions well but no such function via email or text.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 12:06 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold (LT), Nat EL Exec, Hertz PC
Verizon - (phone number)@vtext.com

Originally Posted by Yaatri
Thank you for a seed of an idea.
Here is what works for T-mobile phones.

[email protected] works. The phone number does not include the 1 before the area code.

For example, [email protected] works for tmobile phones.

For AT&T phones the following is reported to work.
<(phone number)@mms.att.net>
Old Jun 19, 2011, 6:23 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

Originally Posted by FlyAO2
getting status updates (upgrades, delayed, cxld) for all my flights by default is one of the big features I miss from nwa.com.

Last edited by DJMeatBall; Jun 19, 2011 at 6:24 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.