Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing tickets?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2011, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Changing tickets?

I originally bought tickets for MSP - ATL - SJU, STT - ATL - JFK.
MSP - ATL - SJU 6.25am - 9.59am, 11.05am - 2.48pm but I wanna change to
2.30pm - 6.00pm, 7.15pm - 11.02pm. I wanna keep STT - ATL - JFK as it is. I tried to do it on delta.com(clicking on Change Flights) and it came up something like I have to pay additional $700 because ATL - JFK came up as first class but I don't wanna change anything on STT - ATL - JFK. So my question is is it possible to change only the first leg of my trip? Or is it possible to perhaps cancel only MSP - ATL - SJU and still keep STT - ATL - JFK because if I were to buy new tickets for MSP - ATL - SJU, it would be $290 only. Thanks.
Old May 29, 2011, 10:53 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
If you change a portion of a nonrefundable ticket you must basically repurchase the entire ticket, paying a change fee (usually $250 on an international ticket, but I'm not sure about the rules on a Latin America/Caribbean itinerary) and whatever fare difference has occurred since your original booking.
Old May 29, 2011, 11:46 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Actually the above info is correct if you are trying to change the FIRST portion of your ticket (i.e. repricing, etc). If you change anything but the first journey, you are only charged a change fee.

If you skip the first (or any) flights of your itinerary, chances are great that DL will cancel the rest of your itinerary. So that really is not an option.

Are you trying to change to a later flight on the same day? You can do a "same day confirmed" for a fee, which might be the cheapest way. But you can only confirm the new flights 3 hours before departure of the new flights. And since the new flights are later than the original flights, you run into the chance of the new flights being full at the 3 hour mark.

Tough call.
Old May 29, 2011, 11:52 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
price the itin again & select the outbound flights you want....if it comes up w/a decent price, call dl & do the change....you could hold the itin w/o your ff #....good luck...
Old May 29, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by fti
Actually the above info is correct if you are trying to change the FIRST portion of your ticket (i.e. repricing, etc). If you change anything but the first journey, you are only charged a change fee.

If you skip the first (or any) flights of your itinerary, chances are great that DL will cancel the rest of your itinerary. So that really is not an option.

Are you trying to change to a later flight on the same day? You can do a "same day confirmed" for a fee, which might be the cheapest way. But you can only confirm the new flights 3 hours before departure of the new flights. And since the new flights are later than the original flights, you run into the chance of the new flights being full at the 3 hour mark.

Tough call.
That is great information to know! Thanks!
Old May 29, 2011, 4:39 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
That is great information to know! Thanks!
There are always exceptions to the rule. And some fares, especially some international fares, are "use it or lose it" so no changes are allowed. But the change fee information should clearly be listed in the fare rules.
Old May 29, 2011, 8:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by fti

Tough call.
Assuming that these airports are considered "international" for this purpose, remember that SDC is only officially allowed for domestic flights, although many people (including me) have been able to do it on domestic segments after the last international segment on a ticket. SDC on the outbound might not be allowed by DL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.