Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrade on domestic segment of international ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2011, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver

Say I am flying from DCA-ATL-SDQ. Am I eligible for an upgrade on the DCA-ATL segment of my travel? Is my companion eligible as well?
Old May 22, 2011, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL Plat, US Gold
Yes as long as it is not a same flight number thru flight from DCA, meaning flight XXX to ATL, and the same XXX from ATL. In your itineraries, your flights will say upgrade requested or not upgrade eligible on the domestic portion of the itinerary.
Old May 22, 2011, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by kss5555
Yes as long as it is not a same flight number thru flight from DCA, meaning flight XXX to ATL, and the same XXX from ATL. In your itineraries, your flights will say upgrade requested or not upgrade eligible on the domestic portion of the itinerary.
+1 - Likely lost out on the ATL-TPA leg of my flight from STR a couple weeks ago because of this rule. The DM desk and SC could do nothing...they all said check at the gate, which did not work out due to an equipment change.
Old May 22, 2011, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL-PM, TK-Elite, AA-lifetime gold, SPG-Plat
In this case you would be eligible on the ATL-SDQ leg as well. Since this is not a BE route and will have basically have a domestic F cabin and domestic F service, it will be treated as a domestic flight as far as upgrades go.
Old May 22, 2011, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL
In my personal experience I have been upgraded on all domestic legs while travelling internationally. Also if you are Plat/Diamond you'll have free access to Delta lounge(s) with your companion(s) while travelling internationally.
Old May 22, 2011, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by kdmitry
In my personal experience I have been upgraded on all domestic legs while travelling internationally. Also if you are Plat/Diamond you'll have free access to Delta lounge(s) with your companion(s) while travelling internationally.
GOLD is now ST Elite + as well, as of March 1st. ^^
Old May 22, 2011, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by acf1270
In this case you would be eligible on the ATL-SDQ leg as well. Since this is not a BE route and will have basically have a domestic F cabin and domestic F service, it will be treated as a domestic flight as far as upgrades go.
Curious about this. When I looked at booking to BOG, the screen indicated that the JFK-BOG flight was not upgrade eligible because it was international, but it is flown on a 737-700 with a domestic first class cabin.
Old May 22, 2011, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL-PM, TK-Elite, AA-lifetime gold, SPG-Plat
Originally Posted by mot29
Curious about this. When I looked at booking to BOG, the screen indicated that the JFK-BOG flight was not upgrade eligible because it was international, but it is flown on a 737-700 with a domestic first class cabin.
The DL operated flights definitely show upgrade eligible when booking. There are also DL coded AV operated flights which show 'not upgrade eligible'. Perhaps that is what you were looking at.

Last edited by acf1270; May 22, 2011 at 10:17 pm
Old May 22, 2011, 9:49 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 2MM, HHonors Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Same Flight Number Dom/Int Issues

I have a LAS-LAX flight (flt 635) connecting to an international flight with the same flight number (LAX-Haneda/Tokyo).

My LAS-LAX is showing as not eligible for upgrades as a Diamond.

Should I also be concerned about not getting the full miles for LAS-LAX (the 500 mile minimum) as well as full LAX-HND mileage (as well as double RDM LAX-HND bonus)?

Might have to get this one ironed out.

Any experience with miles not posting correctly on same flight numbers (though change of planes/crew)?

Thanks!
Old May 22, 2011, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Mileage Lover
I have a LAS-LAX flight (flt 635) connecting to an international flight with the same flight number (LAX-Haneda/Tokyo).

My LAS-LAX is showing as not eligible for upgrades as a Diamond.

Should I also be concerned about not getting the full miles for LAS-LAX (the 500 mile minimum) as well as full LAX-HND mileage (as well as double RDM LAX-HND bonus)?

Might have to get this one ironed out.

Any experience with miles not posting correctly on same flight numbers (though change of planes/crew)?

Thanks!
Did you book it as one flight number? Said another way, did you book it as a direct flight with one stop? If so, then you're probably out of luck. You may be able to call in and get the flights split, in which case you'll probably have to pay a few more dollars in taxes and fees. If you don't get the flights split, then you'll just get mileage based on LAS-HND, as opposed to LAS-LAX-HND.

The curse of direct flights strikes again!
Old May 22, 2011, 11:13 pm

I booked the flight as BUR-HND and the flight option came up on Delta.com. Seems wrong to penalize simply because Delta reused a flight number. In a case like this, is Delta willing to reroute at no cost or provide non-penalized mileage credit?
Old May 22, 2011, 11:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
I booked the flight as BUR-HND and the flight option came up on Delta.com. Seems wrong to penalize simply because Delta reused a flight number. In a case like this, is Delta willing to reroute at no cost or provide non-penalized mileage credit?
Nope, and most agents won't be able to get you on the upgrade list for the domestic portion of the direct flight, either. You've got the added complication of the 2xHND promo, so I would email Kevin Pinto to confirm that you'll get it and/or see if he can assist in rearranging things so you will. We shouldn't use Kevin to fix arbitrary SkyMiles problems, but this is promo-related, so he's the man.
Old May 23, 2011, 12:14 am

I'm not trying to defend Delta here or anything, but you're getting what you paid for: a flight BUR-HND (I thought it was LAS?) that happens to stop in LAX. You aren't really getting penalized for anything. That said, direct flights really aren't something I care for.

The workaround, if you haven't found out already, is to force a connection by doing a multi-city search. If you did a search BUR-LAX-HND (instead of BUR-HND) and selected the two flights separately (even though they have the same number), you'd get the credit for BUR-LAX-HND.
Old May 23, 2011, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by mtkeller
Nope, and most agents won't be able to get you on the upgrade list for the domestic portion of the direct flight, either. You've got the added complication of the 2xHND promo, so I would email Kevin Pinto to confirm that you'll get it and/or see if he can assist in rearranging things so you will. We shouldn't use Kevin to fix arbitrary SkyMiles problems, but this is promo-related, so he's the man.
Thanks. I took your advice and wrote to Kevin Pinto explaining the situation. I understand more now but seems I am being tripped up by a technicality. I have asked if there is any way to reroute my outbound so I can avoid the "direct flight curse." I thought that since it was just a reused flight number and I had to change aircraft, this was a non-issue. Apparently, I was wrong!

Hopefully, Kevin can help out here as this was totally unintentional and nothing I would have booked if I was aware I could lose the bonus and additional routing credit (not so concerned about losing the LAS-LAX upgrade).

I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome.
Old May 23, 2011, 11:23 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DCFlyer0306
Say I am flying from DCA-ATL-SDQ. Am I eligible for an upgrade on the DCA-ATL segment of my travel? Is my companion eligible as well?
ATL-SDQ is definitely eligible, easy upgrade even for FO's, although my last 2 times they cleared at the gate. Companion upgrades ex-SDQ are a little bit harder, but I haven't missed the first one yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.