Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sir, This is FC, I have to give you a glass!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2011, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES

This is a new one... I often order a Corona in FC Without the glass, just the can All that extra stuff just gets in the way and creates clutter. Today a very sweet FA told me that she HAD to give me a glass 'cause I was in FC and she would be in trouble if she didn't. So she brought the beer in the can and an empty glass.... I understand the service aspect, but REALLY?????

OOOPS, should have mentioned, THIS IS NOT A COMPLAINT!!!! Just an observation.

Edited to correct the premise of my post. Sorry for the confusion

Last edited by Crazyhotelguy; May 20, 2011 at 10:31 pm
Old May 20, 2011, 1:12 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
True first class service would be to give it to you the way you want it. Not a complaint, just a comment.
Old May 20, 2011, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
One of the anecdotes in the NY Times story earlier this week about merging DL and NW was about the difference is how soft drinks were served. With the utilitarian (not the word the Times used) service on NW you got handed a cup with ice and the can, but with DL's gracious service the Coke product is poured for you.
Old May 20, 2011, 2:20 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Please read my post titled:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...our-trash.html

Same concept - different item! It was probably a new FA!
Old May 20, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: Bonvoy (Titanium) . Delta (Platinum)
Originally Posted by mot29
One of the anecdotes in the NY Times story earlier this week about merging DL and NW was about the difference is how soft drinks were served. With the utilitarian (not the word the Times used) service on NW you got handed a cup with ice and the can, but with DL's gracious service the Coke product is poured for you.
And so DL's service saves money, since they serve less product. The decision here had nothing to do with being gracious or utilitarian.

I am guessing the "have to serve beer in a glass" rule noted by the OP is similar, but the flight attendant sort of missed the point altogether.
Old May 20, 2011, 2:30 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
This is the kind of stuff that will annoy customers and drive the people who create brand standards nuts.

There should be a big disclaimer on these kinds of policies that says: The customer is welcome to decline any service, ask for less of something, or leave something off.

It's kind of like telling someone that they must have whipped cream on their pie.
Old May 20, 2011, 2:45 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I always ask for the can (of soft drink), whether in F or Y. Normally they give it to me. Once in F the FA said that she would refill my glass as often as I wanted and so she didn't give me the can (CR9). She actually did refill the glass a couple of times, to her credit. But often I am through the first glass before they finish serving the rest of F and I hate asking for refills.
Old May 20, 2011, 6:21 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
This is a new one... I often order a Corona in FC without the can, just a glass. All that extra stuff just gets in the way and creates clutter. Today a very sweet FA told me that she HAD to give me a glass 'cause I was in FC and she would be in trouble if she didn't. So she brought the beer in the can and an empty glass.... I understand the service aspect, but REALLY?????

OOOPS, should have mentioned, THIS IS NOT A COMPLAINT!!!! Just an observation.
Obviously the FA misunderstood the request and thought you wanted it in a can. They are so used to hearing the request to bring the can.

That was why she did not poor it, so you could ignore the glass and drink out of the can.

Does a beer really fit in one glass? I think not.
Old May 20, 2011, 7:51 pm

Programs: Delta DM/1MM, Hilton D, Hertz PC
I always ask for just the can to save room. Sometimes they bring me an empty glass also but I just give it back to them. One humorous FA brought me exactly what I asked for: just the can. No beer, just an empty can. She had poured the contents for other passengers.
Old May 20, 2011, 10:18 pm

Programs: delta GM
I always get just a can as requested.
Old May 20, 2011, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
OP here..... OK, maybe had one too many Coronas (j/k) as I mis-stated the issue... I meant to say that I order the can only, no glass....
Old May 20, 2011, 10:49 pm

In February of 2006, I flew DL from ATL-OGG, then HNL-ATL in First Class. They served all drinks in plastic cups. Plastic dinner ware, and paper cups for coffee. The wine tasted like $2 bottle wine. The wine was so bad it was the first time I tasted Woodford and stuck with it for years. It was the worst first class long haul flight in my life. I can see drinking beer out of its can, but under any scenario DL should never have been serving other drinks in plastic.
Old May 21, 2011, 5:04 am

Maybe she was embarassed for you. Drinking Corona in FC, let alone drinking beer out of a can, could have made her require you to have a glass. haha
Old May 21, 2011, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BF263533
In February of 2006, I flew DL from ATL-OGG, then HNL-ATL in First Class. They served all drinks in plastic cups. Plastic dinner ware, and paper cups for coffee. The wine tasted like $2 bottle wine. The wine was so bad it was the first time I tasted Woodford and stuck with it for years. It was the worst first class long haul flight in my life. I can see drinking beer out of its can, but under any scenario DL should never have been serving other drinks in plastic.
Up until recently, US serverved wine and cocktails in FC in plastic. I believe they now have glassware.
Old May 21, 2011, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bishope2
Maybe she was embarassed for you. Drinking Corona in FC, let alone drinking beer out of a can, could have made her require you to have a glass. haha
Sometimes a guy just wants a beer... And Corona beats Miller Lite....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.