Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta SKY CLUB

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2011, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Delta SKY CLUB

This is my first post. Let me see how this works. I would like to join the Delta SKY CLUB and I would love to hear if there are any deals out there to join. Perhaps ways to get a free visit or month or ways to purchase something and receive a discount. Thank you. Any information would be helpful.
Old May 19, 2011, 7:40 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by thebetzman
This is my first post. Let me see how this works. I would like to join the Delta SKY CLUB and I would love to hear if there are any deals out there to join. Perhaps ways to get a free visit or month or ways to purchase something and receive a discount. Thank you. Any information would be helpful.
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

I'm not aware of any specials running right now. But I would definitely recommend reading the threads here pertaining to the SkyClub as most people consider them to be chronically overcrowded (I agree with this opinion).

You may also consider the different ways to join a SkyClub. You can either purchase a membership or you can apply for the American Express Platinum card which comes with complementary SkyClub access.

Last edited by AUDirt; May 19, 2011 at 8:39 pm Reason: Grammar self-policing
Old May 19, 2011, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
I would suggest getting the AMEX plat card. I would consider it to actually be much cheaper with all the benefits it gives, even with only the current 25K bonus points.

If you don't want to get the AMEX Plat card and are not a fairly frequent traveler I think the day passes might be the better way to go.
Old May 19, 2011, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA CO Gold DL Silver
If you get the AmEx gold card you can buy your way into the club for $25.00 per visit. I would check to see if they are still doing that but it would get you in to see if you like it or not.
Old May 20, 2011, 1:09 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
If you travel frequently, the Delta Reserve card from AMEX is a good way to go. It has SC (Delta Sky Club) access included as a perk. The card itself is expensive, but can pay for itself in many ways especially if you become a regular at the SC.

Welcome to FlyerTalk.
Old May 20, 2011, 5:58 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, HH Diamond, MR Lifetime Plat/Titanium, National Exec Elite
At times the clubs can be crowded, but i have not experienced that it is worse than sitting at the gate (while some will share this opinion in this forum). You never get free drinks and snacks at the gate and you are more likely to find a power plug in a club than at the gate.

I choose to join the club directly rather than use various credit cards to join as being an actual member gains you access to the club no matter which airline you are flying (my travel policy requires that i fly cheapest ticket and often fly other than delta). Also gains you access to Alaska Boardrooms if you fly the west coast (as long as you are flying either DL or AS).

I use miles to buy my annual membership. With the Plat discount it is 40K miles and seems a pretty good use of Sky Miles as you will learn on this board many are concerned with the ability to use miles for travel.

best of luck and welcome to FT.
Old May 20, 2011, 6:57 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by b0nd0
At times the clubs can be crowded, but i have not experienced that it is worse than sitting at the gate (while some will share this opinion in this forum). You never get free drinks and snacks at the gate and you are more likely to find a power plug in a club than at the gate.

I choose to join the club directly rather than use various credit cards to join as being an actual member gains you access to the club no matter which airline you are flying (my travel policy requires that i fly cheapest ticket and often fly other than delta). Also gains you access to Alaska Boardrooms if you fly the west coast (as long as you are flying either DL or AS).

I use miles to buy my annual membership. With the Plat discount it is 40K miles and seems a pretty good use of Sky Miles as you will learn on this board many are concerned with the ability to use miles for travel.

best of luck and welcome to FT.
I second this statement. I purchased my first Sky Club membership this year, and even when the clubs are crowded it's always better than the gate. I will renew next year.

The Reserve card will get you into the Delta clubs, but the full membership gets you into more of the partner clubs. You can also take your whole family in with a full membership (if you have one).
Old May 20, 2011, 7:16 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by Mickey_MCO
If you get the AmEx gold card you can buy your way into the club for $25.00 per visit. I would check to see if they are still doing that but it would get you in to see if you like it or not.
Just to confirm, they are still doing this. I got sn email about it two days ago.
Old May 20, 2011, 7:51 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
You can buy a 30-day membership for $90 and then, within 60 days, apply the $90 to a full year membership. That way you get 13 months for the price of a year.

However, I used miles for my membership fee and consider it a great way to use miles.

Last edited by CarmenOM; May 20, 2011 at 8:34 am
Old May 20, 2011, 8:07 am

Programs: DL DM, Starwood Plat
They frequently print a discount code at the bottom of paper boarding passes for 10% savings off a year or three year memberships. I don't have a code handy but they seem to frequently have that on the bottom of the BP's.

Delta is now offering a monthly plan as well but they have a service fee associated with that.
Old May 20, 2011, 9:31 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
I am going on like my 9th yr of renewing the Skyclub membership, my company has a policy if you fly every week they will pay for it. I was trying to add it up if i even get into the SC 14 times a yr a pay for it, but it is more of a hassle to try to expense 25 dollars 14 times.

Since i seldom have connections i never use them at MSP, i get to the gate at MSP always within 5-15 minutes of boarding.

Every time i enter a club it is packed, ORD/ATL makes me just turn around and leave. I do not order drinks at the SC, i usually go in and grab the paper and a water.

Some here spend days in the club a yr, so it's probably of more value,
Old May 20, 2011, 10:09 am

Programs: Delta Million Miler; NWA Refugee; Hilton Gold
I buy SLUT fares for the vast majority of my flights because they are on my own dime, so I end up with a number of hour and half or more layovers. My Skyclub membership makes these layovers more tolerable, especially since the crowding thins out with the next bank of flights. I have currently a three year membership. I'm likely to just renew it, but I may test out a year's membership using miles next time.
Old May 20, 2011, 10:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, Hilton Gold
I'd say consider the following:

what is your travel pattern? Mostly DL? DL Res. AMEX allows you into SC, but it IS NOT SC membership. You can get the SC only if you are on DL and that day only. So if you are on AA for example, the Res. card. would not get you membership.

On the other hand, if you fly enough to get diamond (or with Res card you get DM status), you get SC free anyway.

With AMEX Plat (normal), you get AA and DL clubs on the day of travel (I don't remember about UA/CO). Again, only if you are on that airline that day.

PP -- if DL still accepted it, that would have been my advise. PP is a great service

I find the 3 yr SC membership to be good deal, and you get a discount if you're medallion.

Dave
Old May 20, 2011, 10:43 am
kjh

from my OLCI boarding pass last week: www.delta.com/skyclub Use promo code: SJN10 (might also be 5JN10 - hard to tell S from 5) this is supposed to be good for 10% off a one or three year membership
Old May 20, 2011, 11:16 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum
I got the membership as a DM. I doubt I will make DM again, but will probably use 40K miles to renew if I don't upgrade to an Amex Platinum.
I find the club is a nicer place to wait.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.