Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Refund for obese person taking up half my seat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refund for obese person taking up half my seat?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2011, 5:28 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by mkgrip
Discrimination is not discrimination if the trait you discriminate if its a valid and necessary requirement for the job. If you're hiring an actor to play Napoleon on a movie, you can "discriminate" black and women all you want.

What we are talking about here? You can't fire somebody because he or she has gained a little weight (and that's how it should be), but you can if they are unable to perform their duty safely. You'd assume that an FA would have to fit into same requirements as exit row pax for the same reason. I gotta say though that I haven't seen FA:s that wouldn't, so either that is not a problem to begin with, or they do indeed fire the one's that do not meet the criteria. Most of the time you get bumped it's not because of the FA size though...
And they do "discriminate" based on size already: many airlines have height restrictions for FA:s (basically: you got to fit into the aircraft, so you can't be too tall, and you got to be able to reach the overhead, so you can't be too short).
word
Old May 20, 2011, 8:16 am

Yes, yes, I got it, and apologies to any offended gentiles, people of Jewish faith, or others...being from a NY originally, I do have some insights on the definition. Chalk this one up to my phone's auto-completion feature (which just now tried to auto-correct "Jewish" as well )...of course, I meant genteel. Sorry, the "smart phone" thing is kind of new to me. In fact, a few weeks back, I was trying to convince it that "unix" wasn't "Unix", and ended up sending a message to a senior government official recommending his network be run by eunuchs - but I digress.

I was just trying to get back on-task with the fact that I'm disappointed in general with the ways that DL FAs, especially on my more common routings, seem to be taking less and less responsibility for the comfort of passengers (keeping in mind that I started flying back when FAs would change your infant's soiled diaper for you).

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
OK, this misunderstanding based on a misspelling is driving me crazy.

HookemHorns, you wrote that you were from the "gentile old-world school of travel." You probably meant "genteel," not gentile, which refers to someone who is not Jewish.

GMill asked, "Was the FA from the Jewish old-school of travel?" His/her question had nothing to do with the behavior of the FA; it was a joke on your misspelling/typo. Note the at the end of the sentence.

The behavior of FAs is not related to whether or not they are Jewish.

Last edited by HookemHorns; May 20, 2011 at 9:40 am Reason: Political correctness
Old May 20, 2011, 8:26 am

Thumbs down

I feel for ya . I got stuck (literally) next to an obese 'woman' on a Ted flight LAS-ORD. At least I had an aisle seat. There were no more seats to be had. The 'woman' told me ;"Sorry,I'm fat,I cant put the armrest down". Great.......I was pinned to the side of my seat for 3+ hours,rubbing against this blob. Not nice.
Old May 20, 2011, 8:30 am

I suggested this in a 2005 post - I suggested putting it next to the ticket desk "Size-Wise" cages and calling it "Wise-A**"...didn't seem to catch on!

Originally Posted by trlaura
I see no reason why they can't just make some type of a "size wise" cage that you have to walk through to board the plane. If someone doesn't fit, they have to buy an extra seat or not board. However, there should not be height requirement.
Old May 20, 2011, 8:42 am

Programs: DL GM, QR Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
I understand the frustration by most. I am one of those big guys that people probably think are quite large (6'5" 320lb former college football offensive guard) guys that have wide shoulders, yet can still fit in an exit seat without a seatbelt extender. I am a big guy and my A$$ doesn't go into others seats, but my shoulders are considerably wide which is why I lean into the aisle as much as I can so that the person next to me can have some space. I understand the complaints and yes I have in fact sat next to people that I have no idea how the hell they got the seat belt around them.

I actually had a guy that was 7ft 420lbs sit in the middle exit seat next to me on a red eye up to MSP from PHX and most of my body was in the aisle, which wasn't pleasant, but rest assured the plane was safe from any "in flight emergencies" as we would have pounded them into the cargo area.

For guys like me, it is that much more important to have and maintain status when flying so it is a little more comfortable for me as well as the person that sits next to me.....
Old May 20, 2011, 9:42 am

Programs: NWA Tears
For the airlines there is no real benefit to implementing a policy at this point in time.

Most people are too PC to complain and just sit in painful silence. The few who do complain are easily dealt with via; 1) re-seating, 2) attempt at VDB, 3) possibly IDB, and, if all else fails, 4) compensation. From DL's perspective the revenue they receive from fatter folk (who might go to other airlines if DL implemented a policy) is far greater than the costs of the current policy.

I am fairly quick to complain to the FA if the armrest can't go down, if someone's flab overhangs it, or they fit but refuse keep their arms in front of them (or somewhat in their own space). I don't worry about being PC (though I try to be tactful) because the person flowing in to my space obviously doesn't care about me. I do tend to make judgment calls though and try to be more patient with a POS who is large rather than fat (and there is a difference). I've also had seeing-eye dogs lay across my feet or under them (and once had a rescue dog sleep on my legs) - not necessarily comfortable, but I'll go out of my way to assist people who have an unavoidable handicap.

Last edited by JSFox; May 20, 2011 at 9:50 am
Old May 20, 2011, 9:58 am

Programs: NWA - Platinum
Nobody has mentioned the biggest problem with having an extra large passenger sitting next to you. It is body heat! I hate it when this happens to me. I'm 6'0" and 215 - 220 lbs (varies by day!) so I am not small. When someone is spilling in to my seat that means their fat is pushed all up against me. I hate the ride and I feel gross when I arrive at my destination. I've never had the courage to say anything, I just deal with it. The fact that I don't say anything doesn't make the offender any less rude though. By a first class ticket and get the room you need!
Old May 20, 2011, 10:23 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JSFox
I do tend to make judgment calls though and try to be more patient with a POS who is large rather than fat (and there is a difference). I've also had seeing-eye dogs lay across my feet or under them (and once had a rescue dog sleep on my legs) - not necessarily comfortable, but I'll go out of my way to assist people who have an unavoidable handicap.
+1
Old May 20, 2011, 8:11 pm

This thread makes me laugh and underscores why I no longer post in the DL forum (and pretty much nowhere else) on FT anymore. When I read posts like this:

Originally Posted by krpjr
Sorry to the OP . I know how terrible it is to deal with fat people, it sucks. I just had a similar incident on a flight this past weekend where I was in First Class and the gentle was so large that he had to get up so that I could use the bathroom.

Had it of been a normal sized person, it is fairly easy to scoot by them. In addition to this gentleman being so freaking large, I had to use the bathroom a second time and he looked like he was in no condition to get up this time, which he DIDN'T and had to squeeze by him.

Such a shame! And when the snack basket went around he grabbed 3 twix, chips and cookies. He didn't even glance at the banana in the basket, way to be oblivious large man.
it reminds me of the large amount of intolerant jerks that continue to reside on here who have nothing else on their agenda to do but complain. It also makes me hope that Mr KrpJR experiences many more "incidents" such as this. Personally I don't understand why it was an issue that the guy next to you had to get out of the seat so you could use the bathroom twice. If you're in an aisle seat, you accept the fact that the people next to you may need to get out of their seat to use the lav. However, the fact that you call out that you couldn't "scoot by him" and he had to get up shows what a moron you are. Maybe you should use have used the rest room before you boarded the flight, or refrained from those 4 bloody marys / glasses of red wine that you needed to consume. Again, I don't deny the fact that the guy should have had no issue getting out of the seat so you could drain all of the beverages which you had have -- both times -- but it's unnecessary to call attention to such things as you did.

As for the OP, if you were on an aisle and were uncomfortable, imagine how the guy in the middle seat felt. Here's an idea: Why didn't you just offer to switch spots with him? Yes, I realize that you would have given up a coveted aisle seat, and also not been sitting across the aisle from your travel companion, however I'm sure you both would have had a much more pleasant flight experience since you would have had a full seat with the arms down, and the guy who was uncomfortable in the middle seat could have used the aisle for the extra accommodation he needed.

Live and let live.

Flame on. ^
Old May 20, 2011, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by waltinsocal
Yeah, feel your pain, but the time to deal with this is is to deal with it politely on the plane. You can complain, but the people you will complain to are online, were not there, and have no idea what you dealt with. If the plane was full, and there was not a single other available seat, I understand that would be tough since there would be nowhere to move you. But, once again, failing that, on the plane is the place to fix this. Just a quick question about this to others; if you are on a plane and faced with this situation, where you basically do not have a seat to sit in because of the situation the OP was in, is there anyway to make this an IDB since you do not have the seat you paid for? Not trying to be a jerk or get something I'm not entitled to, but if you paid for a seat, you should get it. And to the MODS, I know a lot of these type threads get closed, but we are not rehashing the same stuff here, and perhaps we can let this one go on awhile. I am particularly interested in the IDB scenario and if the OP refused to take his/her seat because there was in essence no seat to sit in. Thanks.
If the POS can't fit in his seat and there are no alternatives, it is the POS who must be off-loaded. Again, the key is to be discrete, polite and firm and make it clear, if you are not getting satisfaction that you will call Flight Safety @ FAA.

Again, this is not about sensitivity, it is about safety.
Old May 20, 2011, 9:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by United_727
I feel for ya . I got stuck (literally) next to an obese 'woman' on a Ted flight LAS-ORD. At least I had an aisle seat. There were no more seats to be had. The 'woman' told me ;"Sorry,I'm fat,I cant put the armrest down". Great.......I was pinned to the side of my seat for 3+ hours,rubbing against this blob. Not nice.
Blob.. too funny..

If there is a problem, deal with the FA immediately.

Originally Posted by chwillia
Nobody has mentioned the biggest problem with having an extra large passenger sitting next to you. It is body heat! I hate it when this happens to me. I'm 6'0" and 215 - 220 lbs (varies by day!) so I am not small. When someone is spilling in to my seat that means their fat is pushed all up against me. I hate the ride and I feel gross when I arrive at my destination. I've never had the courage to say anything, I just deal with it. The fact that I don't say anything doesn't make the offender any less rude though. By a first class ticket and get the room you need!
I wonder how the extra large passenger feels?.. probably almost the same..
Old May 21, 2011, 6:01 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by Bison9073
I understand the frustration by most. I am one of those big guys that people probably think are quite large (6'5" 320lb former college football offensive guard) guys that have wide shoulders, yet can still fit in an exit seat without a seatbelt extender. I am a big guy and my A$$ doesn't go into others seats, but my shoulders are considerably wide which is why I lean into the aisle as much as I can so that the person next to me can have some space. I understand the complaints and yes I have in fact sat next to people that I have no idea how the hell they got the seat belt around them.

I actually had a guy that was 7ft 420lbs sit in the middle exit seat next to me on a red eye up to MSP from PHX and most of my body was in the aisle, which wasn't pleasant, but rest assured the plane was safe from any "in flight emergencies" as we would have pounded them into the cargo area.

For guys like me, it is that much more important to have and maintain status when flying so it is a little more comfortable for me as well as the person that sits next to me.....
Originally Posted by StuartMI
This thread makes me laugh and underscores why I no longer post in the DL forum (and pretty much nowhere else) on FT anymore. When I read posts like this:

it reminds me of the large amount of intolerant jerks that continue to reside on here who have nothing else on their agenda to do but complain. It also makes me hope that Mr KrpJR experiences many more "incidents" such as this. Personally I don't understand why it was an issue that the guy next to you had to get out of the seat so you could use the bathroom twice. If you're in an aisle seat, you accept the fact that the people next to you may need to get out of their seat to use the lav. However, the fact that you call out that you couldn't "scoot by him" and he had to get up shows what a moron you are. Maybe you should use have used the rest room before you boarded the flight, or refrained from those 4 bloody marys / glasses of red wine that you needed to consume. Again, I don't deny the fact that the guy should have had no issue getting out of the seat so you could drain all of the beverages which you had have -- both times -- but it's unnecessary to call attention to such things as you did.

As for the OP, if you were on an aisle and were uncomfortable, imagine how the guy in the middle seat felt. Here's an idea: Why didn't you just offer to switch spots with him? Yes, I realize that you would have given up a coveted aisle seat, and also not been sitting across the aisle from your travel companion, however I'm sure you both would have had a much more pleasant flight experience since you would have had a full seat with the arms down, and the guy who was uncomfortable in the middle seat could have used the aisle for the extra accommodation he needed.

Live and let live.

Flame on. ^
+1. All of this is perspective. I am 6'1" , 250, fit in a seat without extender..... Some would call me POS.

I am aware of my surroundingsand do everything to make the person next to me comfortable...

NOW if the 5"7' due who weighs 135 next to me would do the same... Rather than pulling out his laptop, dominating the middle armrest with his drinks and phone, and then trying to balance a dinner tray amongst the other clutter... Can I complain about this POS... I don't mean size?
Old May 21, 2011, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by StuartMI

Live and let live.

Flame on. ^
Stuart, you make me smile . Considering when you are in first class, there is generally enough space to make it by your seat partner OF NORMAL SIZE - considering this gentleman was pushing an easy 350lbs. In my case, this gentleman was so large that it was difficult for him to attempt to get up the second time that I needed to use the bathroom, forcing me to squeeze by him because he refused to get up a second time. You best be damned that I'll be calling a large person out and their laziness if he can't get up for me to use the bathroom. He is inconveniencing me, period.

Also, for you to tell me what I should consume prior to boarding and during the flight is none of your business. On another note, I use the bathroom when my body is ready to, so you can kiss my you know what.

Last edited by krpjr; May 21, 2011 at 7:28 pm
Old May 21, 2011, 11:53 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by krpjr
... Considering when you are in first class, there is generally enough space to make it by your seat partner....
Normal, polite people do not "scoot by" other adults who are sitting next to them on a plane. Normal, polite people ask if the person on the aisle seat can let him/her out. If you were to "scoot by" me like that, I would firmly say, in a very condescending tone, "I can get up." I've done this. Many time. And posted about it previously, too. If you insisted on "scooting out" nonetheless, I'd laugh as you spilled into the aisle after tripping over my purposely placed foot.

I don't want your butt brushing up against my leg, even separated by a couple thin layers of fabric. And I'll assume you are "scooting by" in that direction, because your face inches from mine when your front touches my leg would be a disturbing, gross intimate violation!

It's amazing that an adult could think "scooting by" is normal, acceptable, polite behavior. Let me assure you, it's not.
Old May 21, 2011, 11:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
For my wife body heat would not be a problem for her..

In fact she's always cold.. and even though I'm 260 lbs, 6'5".. I'm still insufficient to keep her warm.

Problem is any flyer sits besides me will have to fight me a bit for armrest territory.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.