Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Allegation: ASA pilot refused to fly with Muslim passengers aboard

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Allegation: ASA pilot refused to fly with Muslim passengers aboard

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2011, 11:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by chelmkamp
"Masudur Rahman and Mohamed Zaghloul were wearing the traditional Muslim attire, CNN affiliate WCNC reported."

It doesn't help that the media continues to characterize Islam as if it were a monolithic, visible entity ("traditional Muslim attire"). I've been living in and traveling to various countries with a majority Muslim population for years -- there is no such thing as "traditional Muslim attire" any more than there is a "traditional Christian attire" or "traditional atheist attire."
Agreed. The media could play a slightly more helpful role by identifying the garment by its proper name. People with the ability to connect what is on screen with what is bombarding their ear holes would then be able to ascertain that the funny sounding name refers to the clothing being worn by the fellow in handcuffs being beaten to a pulp by american soldiers.
Old May 7, 2011, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I don't believed it what is situations going on those 2 muslims. The pilots have no absolutely reasons why they were removed off the flight. Does not have any commons sense against those 2 muslims. It should leave them alone and not try to bugging on them. This is not real specific time at all. I don't see any suspicious behaviors during in-flight. They didn't have any complaining against those 2 muslims.
Old May 7, 2011, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by notsosmart
Hmm, as best as I can tell, I should refuse to fly on any a/c operated by this pilot. He's clearly deranged, and poses a far greater threat than a couple of bearded dudes with no sharp objects or liquids on their persons.
Too true! But what did we expect,

He flies for ASA...

American's Sorriest Airline shows why they earn that honor again and again and again.

For those of you with the pilots??? WHAT PLANET ARE YOU ON? The same one the TSA is from? The one where the terrorist will LOOK like a terrorist and NOT like you and I? Let's think about this??? Of all the "terrorist" attacks lately can you name ONE in the US where they were dressed as Imans? Hmm.. 9/11.. NOPE Shoe Bomber... Nope, normal looking passenger Oklahoma City.. Not even Muslim! Liquid Bombing Plot (actually in the UK, but...).... Airport employees LOL!

Really, dressing like someone who will attract attention is what a terriorist would do??? Only in the minds of the TSA and others of that prejuduice!
Old May 7, 2011, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
This is what, the fourth thread on this topic? Or is it the second one you opened?
It would seem there are more Muslim threads on FT about one isolated incident of an idiot redneck bigot pilot than Muslims actually flying in America.
Old May 7, 2011, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
Cup of tea?

There is not a single documented incident of "clerics" being disruptive that I know of. Perhaps you can point to one?

Could you give us an example of a similar incident where racism was not involved? - I don't mean an incident where someone was violent - I'm thinking of incidents where someone is merely sitting in their seat, perhaps chatting with someone else or taking a nap, and the next thing they know, some racist neo-nazi republican tea party evangelical type has had them removed? That kind of thing.
Perhaps captains should be in the business of flying planes and not actualizing their racial and religious points of view.@:-)
Nov 2006, USAirways removed 6 muslim Clerics for disruptive behavior, who later claimed racism. http://articles.boston.com/2006-11-2...t-crew-members

Captains are required to intervene. It would be nice if we could fly airplanes and not deal with all the rest.
Old May 7, 2011, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Klm is Dead - Long Live KLM
It would seem there are more Muslim threads on FT about one isolated incident of an idiot redneck bigot pilot than Muslims actually flying in America.
More threads than muslims on that plane.
Old May 7, 2011, 12:24 pm

Nov 2006, USAirways removed 6 Clerics for disruptive behavior. Google it.
Old May 7, 2011, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by grumpyaviator
By George Mathis

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Sean McKinney, an accountant from Greeenville, S.C., said he spoke to the pilot after landing in Charlotte and the pilot told him that TSA requested the plane return to the terminal.
"That seems more reasonable to me," said McKinney, 38, who was traveling for business. "Why would the pilot pull away from the gate if he had a concern with the passengers?
"
Wasn't there another story in the thread that has been shut down where it was reported that the TSA stated they had cleared the two gentlemen to fly before the incident?
Old May 7, 2011, 12:29 pm

"That seems more reasonable to me," said McKinney, 38, who was traveling for business. "Why would the pilot pull away from the gate if he had a concern with the passengers?"
By the same logic, why would TSA would let them past security if they had a concern.
Old May 7, 2011, 12:30 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
More threads than muslims on that plane.
More posts by GUwonder per each thread about the incident than muslims on that plane.
Old May 7, 2011, 12:33 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
Between the flight crew and the TSA, I'm more inclined to give the crew the benefit of the doubt.

I bet it happened like this:

The TSA made a giant ruckus by summoning the plane back to the gate and subsequently searching the Imams in front of everyone and rooting through their bags. After failing to locate any threat, they refused to tell the crew anything about what they were after (no doubt claiming SSI) and waved goodbye, leaving a bunch of rattled passengers and crew wondering if there was anything they should be worried about. The captain, not satisfied with the TSA's explanation, made the judgement call.
Old May 7, 2011, 1:12 pm

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
technically the captain can do whatever he/she wishes to the aircraft without giving any reason. The captain has the power to refuse certain passenger to board, refuse to take off/land, relocate passengers onboard, upgrade/downgrade passengers. Since the pilot flies everyday and those two men can't be the first muslim passengers that pilot had onboard, there must be some reason besides them just being muslim (plus muslim men cannot really be identified by appearance. how did people even know they are muslim?).
Old May 7, 2011, 1:55 pm

Who has the better reason to misstate events? The TSA insists it did not initiate any incident regarding the two Muslim pax. Someone who says he was on board claims the pilot told him that the feds DID order him back to the gate in Memphis.

Sean McKinney, the Greenville account quoted in the AJC, says he noticed no passenger concern on board and the two men "seemed very cordial and professional." It would appear everything in the cabin was uneventful and routine.

AJC
Old May 7, 2011, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by ExitRowOrElse
Our minds are open. Most of us are disgusted with half-witted trash that feels desecrating the Koran is OK, and most of us know that most Muslims are not terrorist. We also know that most terrorist are Muslims, and it is because of them that we cannot travel freely between the US and Canada like we used to.

Like I said, do something about the cancer.
Does this mean that Timothy McVeigh was a stealth Wahhabi Muslim?
Old May 7, 2011, 2:11 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Cleanup on Aisle 3....

Since this thread was moved from Travel Buzz to Newsstand, the many political posts were removed. Those are neither appropriate for Travel Buzz nor Newsstand.

And since this happened aboard a DL flight, per http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/newss...elsewhere.html I am moving to that forum.

cblaisd
Moderator, Newstand

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.