Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Allegation: ASA pilot refused to fly with Muslim passengers aboard

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Allegation: ASA pilot refused to fly with Muslim passengers aboard

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2011, 10:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/Musli...121410644.html

Charlotte-based attorney Mo Idlibi, who accompanied the men once they arrived in Charlotte, said his clients' goal is to see more training for pilots about this sensitive issue. Idlibi continues to investigate the option of a lawsuit, though it is not clear who that lawsuit would target.
Idlibi said there is precedent on this issue. U.S. Airways recently settled a lawsuit filed by six imams who were removed from a plane in Minneapolis in 2006. Those men had been traveling to the North American Imam Federation conference as well.
Well that was bloody quick! If all is as it seems to be, I do hope the pilot and anyone who seconded his/her decision finds themselves in court, but I also hope this and the hundreds of other cases of wrongful removal become a thing of the past.

I also note that one of the gentlemen compared himself to Rosa Parks. I am a bit cheesed off by that comment because if that were the case he would have refused politely to get up from his seat and then wait quietly, hopefully causing a delay and a financial impact to the airline, before being carried off by thugs in uniform.
Old May 6, 2011, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA: Premier 1K AA: Executive Platinum
IF this is true, then obviously they should be disciplined. "I don't like who you are so I won't transport you" doesn't fly (forgive me) in 2011.
However, I would prefer to hear more about what really happened before jumping to any hasty conclusions.
Old May 6, 2011, 10:52 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I completely agree with that sentiment. A complete lack of respect for the victims and families of the Semptember 11th attacks. Some people just lack any sort of decency.
I wouldn't take issue with the sentiment -- actually it would be my sentiment exactly if not for the following: I place the comment in the context of those words acting as the figurative placement of a mirror, all in hopes that people reflect upon their own comments and foundations to realize that they are approaching the issue in the same offensive way in which they are critical of "the other".
Old May 6, 2011, 10:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by A4K
I don't disagree with you RPh, but please, I am sure many of FTers like myself knew families, or had loved ones that were impacted by the attacks, so please don't try to down play the events. And I do apologize for the personal attack it just hits home a bit.
No offence taken and no need for an apology. Had the spirit of my post been more obvious, you would have noted that I was merely parodying an earlier post and holding a mirror up for that member to consider. Anyway, in the interest of keeping the peace, I will go back and edit my post so as to not deviate from the subject at hand.
Old May 6, 2011, 10:56 pm

Programs: 2 many 4 2 long.
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
If we are going to play around with numbers, I'll point out that 9/11 (yawn) was only one event too, and frankly 3,100 hundred lives is nothing compared to the number of people members of the american military have murdered, raped, tortured and otherwise terrorized over the years that resulted in 9/11 and since. Perhaps you could include this group of people in your stereotyping of groups that pilots should consider removing from aircraft @:-) After all, they are trained terrorists, some have murdered innocents in other countries and are solely responsible for any acts of equalization that may or may not occur in the future. In comparison, the stereotyped Muslims on planes are likely to be better educated, better off, more law abiding and much less likely to steal, get drunk, shoot at, stab or rape someone than say, the average passenger on an aircraft in the US.

Indeed, stereotyping groups can be such fun, can't it? or should I say, ain't it?
Before rattling further, you might want to go to a bookstore as soon as it opens tomorrow morning and read the following verses of the Qur'an:

8:39
8:60
9:5 (The big Kahuna)
9:29
9:73
9:123

Because it's clear that you have done no research to date, I want to remind you that Arabbic is written from back-of-book to front and from the right page to the left page.

Don't miss the opportunity to get informed while learning something that is inarguable to all of those who have educated themselves, liberals and conservatives alike.

If you have the guts, you will sound and know/think different after your reading. If you don't have the guts you will skip the reading.
Old May 6, 2011, 11:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Buccaneeratheart
Before rattling further, you might want to go to a bookstore as soon as it opens tomorrow morning and read the following verses of the Qur'an:

Because it's clear that you have done no research to date, I want to remind you that Arabbic is written from back-of-book to front and from the right page to the left page.

Don't miss the opportunity to get informed while learning something that is inarguable to all of those who have educated themselves, liberals and conservatives alike.

If you have the guts, you will sound and know/think different after your reading. If you don't have the guts you will skip the reading.
Cute cut and paste effort but it fails and fails big time.

I have no doubt that he is better placed to know better than most others here about the topics you are trying to raise. The fact of the matter is that all of which you posted above doesn't change a thing. Any attempt to justify bigotry by using snippets from this or that just doesn't fly for everyone.

It is rather ironic how bigots of various sorts rely upon the same thing in the same way. I guess that is the point of putting up a mirror.
Old May 6, 2011, 11:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Buccaneeratheart

Thank you for your scholarly assistance in this matter, or should I thank little green footballs or your local tea party AM shock jock? By the way, as a scholarly individual you may wish to double check the spelling of the word Arabbic. Just to be sure, its not spelled Ay-rabic either.

Anyway, I have read the Quran many times and understand perfectly the context of each of those verses you quote. It would be pointless to explain anything to you in this regard and frankly it matters not one whitt what racists and bigots (muslim or otherwise) use to justify their hatred of others. I will say however, that both Muslim bigots and non Muslim bigots appear to be using the very same Quranic verses to justify their positions. Neither appear to understand their context, limitations or the overall message of Islam, or I dare say any faith, and my message to both of you is that you should all kiss and make up since all extremists appear to have a lot more in common that they think

Last edited by PhlyingRPh; May 6, 2011 at 11:17 pm
Old May 6, 2011, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LegalTender
Who said anything about a "legal timeline?"

I doubt ASA will ever identify the pilot. A vague policy statement about treating everyone with respect and saying that the matter is under further review likely will be issued.

The dynamic changes if other passengers speak up.
Sorry you said something about a time limit. I assumed you knew something I did not know and that entitled you to make such an asummtive , imformed jump since you were very certain of why the pilot should be fired based on the information on hand. My mistake, you were just acting on your own opinion, heresay, not fact or policy based.
Old May 6, 2011, 11:17 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

All Delta Moderators have been alerted to the this Thread and the posts which could be considered inflammatory. As this is such a sensitive topic and the DL Mods are all over the map, I feel it prudent to temporarily lock this thread overnight. Let everyone get a good night's sleep and we'll revisit this over the weekend.

Thanks for your cooperation and understanding....
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Old May 7, 2011, 7:00 am

Programs: Silver, US Air
Muslim men taken off plane in DL flight in MEM because "passengers uncomfortable"

(CNN) -- Two Muslim men were removed from a plane headed to North Carolina because passengers were uncomfortable, the Council on American-Islamic Relations said.

The incident occurred Friday on a flight from Tennessee to North Carolina.

Masudur Rahman and Mohamed Zaghloul were wearing the traditional Muslim attire, CNN affiliate WCNC reported.

They were headed to North Carolina for a conference on prejudice against Muslims, according to the affiliate.

Atlantic Southeast Airlines, which operated the flight, said the incident is under investigation.

"Atlantic Southeast Airlines flight 5452 from Memphis to Charlotte returned to the gate to allow for additional screening of a passenger and the passenger's companion," the statement said. "We take security and safety very seriously, and the event is currently under investigation."

Contrived event by a minority? Or bigotry unmasked?
Old May 7, 2011, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by BertG
They were headed to North Carolina for a conference on prejudice against Muslims, according to the affiliate.
That bit makes it seem like Gilbert and Sullivan. As for the rest — not good.
Old May 7, 2011, 7:21 am

Programs: Silver, US Air
Two Muslim passengers removed from plane in Tennessee

CHARLOTTE -- Two Muslim leaders who were removed from a commercial airliner in Memphis said they were told it was because the pilot refused to fly with them aboard.

Imams Masudur Rahman and Mohamed Azaghloul arrived at Charlotte-Douglas International Airport several hours after they were scheduled to arrive. They were forced off a plane by a pilot on Friday morning.

Both men passed multiple security clearances by TSA and Delta Airlines before boarding. They were even rescreened after they were pulled off the flight. Rahman said they had no problem being screened multiple times.
"It is their job to do it. It is out job to show our stuff. We don't have anything. We are living in America; we want the security of America," said Rahman.

But still the pilot refused to let them board.

"The only reason the pilot has cited was some of the passengers didn't feel comfortable, but when the passengers were asked if they felt uncomfortable, none of them indicated that they were," said the imams' attorney, Mo Idibili.

The imams said despite urging from Delta officials, the pilot didn't budge. They said Delta management apologized profusely and put them on a later flight. The flight the imams were kicked off of was operated by Atlantic Southeast Airlines, which is based in Atlanta. It does business with Delta but is not part of Delta.

Ironically, the two made the trip to Charlotte for a conference of imams, where they would be discussing "Islamophobia," the fear of Islam.

-------------------------
Contrived by a minority? Or bigotry run wild?
Old May 7, 2011, 7:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BertG

Contrived event by a minority? Or bigotry unmasked?
The religious minorities are not running the show and cannot require the pilot to do anything in the absence of violating law (and there is no evidence of the deplaned passengers having violated a federal law at that airport or on that plane). The responsibility for the event rests with the pilot and the pilot's company.

Bigotry cannot be unmasked when it isn't even hidden -- and the way things are when it comes to bigotry directed against the minorities noted in the OP, such bigotry is rather open and tolerated in a way that is not the case with bigotry directed toward other minority groups.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 7, 2011 at 7:31 am
Old May 7, 2011, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Hmm, as best as I can tell, I should refuse to fly on any a/c operated by this pilot. He's clearly deranged, and poses a far greater threat than a couple of bearded dudes with no sharp objects or liquids on their persons.
Old May 7, 2011, 8:33 am

There may be more to this story than is known in here.......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.