Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lazy? FA in 1st

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2011, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite
Lazy? FA in 1st

Flight this lunchtime from atl to jax, typical 45 minute flight and almost always had drink service in first in the past. Today the pilot mentioned that there may be some rough air as we got closer to jax but said nothing more. Halfway through the flight went to restroom and noticed that the two FA's up front were sitting and talking. I assumed that they had been told to remain seated, even though there had been non rough air at that point. On returning to my seat I saw that they were doing a service in coach, not long after I sat down they announced initial approach and end of service so there didn't seem any point trying to get a drink in first. Even more surprising is that the two FA's in first didn't even appear to check the cabin was secure for landing and only appeared once we were at the gate. One of them then had to push through everyone standing ready to deplane to get people's jackets that were still in the cupboard between first and coach (757). She even joked with one guy who said he would get his own coat on the way out that she should do it as she hadn't done anything else during the flight.

Maybe not worthy of a complaint to Delta but still not 'best in class' service.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
They told them to sit for my flight too. No biggy. It was calm for most of our flight, but got real nasty for a minute or 2.... I would have loved a drink, but not too worried about it based on the WX....
Old Apr 28, 2011, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
They told them to sit for my flight too. No biggy. It was calm for most of our flight, but got real nasty for a minute or 2.... I would have loved a drink, but not too worried about it based on the WX....
It would be one thing, and certainly understandable, if they told them to stay seated because of rough air. But it sounds like coach got beverage service, so I'm thinking that wasn't necessarily the case.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 2:12 pm
kjh

I have experienced this "laziness" also

On flights to/from ATL-BHM (and v.v.) most of the time the FAs do a pre-departure AND an in-flight beverage service in 1st (the DC9s) even though the flight is only about 30 minutes. However on my flight Monday ATL-BHM, the male FA working 1st didn't bother with any pre-departure service, didn't hang coats until we were almost ready for takeoff near the end of the runway, sat for most of the flight chatting to other FA and then did an abbreviated service in the last few minutes of flight with plasticware (there had been no rough air announcement from the pilot) and finally did not pass out coats (self-service at the closet).

Sad that DL can't find more competent and enthusiastic FAs. Having said that, there are also some exceptional FAs on DL, but they seem to be getting fewer and fewer.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 2:16 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
OMG you gave up liquor for the FA's safety.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by Vuelos
Liquor is not a necessity.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 3:02 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
So no liquor, no difference in service (or worse service in coach)....so what separates that from a NK Big Front Seat that only costs $40-70 extra?
Old Apr 28, 2011, 3:33 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
If they did a service in economy then yes, this is just lazy FA's and very weak. Send an email to Delta.

If the seatbelt sign is off, there is no reason they can't run drinks from the galley if it's deemed safe for pax to be up and about.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by steveg2112
...On returning to my seat I saw that they were doing a service in coach ...One of them then had to push through everyone standing ready to deplane to get people's jackets that were still in the cupboard between first and coach (757). She even joked with one guy who said he would get his own coat on the way out that she should do it as she hadn't done anything else during the flight.
Definitely complain. Comments like this will find their way back to in-flight.

Originally Posted by N639DL
Liquor is not a necessity.
Adults have their own needs and expectations.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 4:07 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond, Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
So no liquor, no difference in service (or worse service in coach)....so what separates that from a NK Big Front Seat that only costs $40-70 extra?
Perhaps the burning desire to not have to connect through FLL to go to their 48 other destinations?

Although you probably get a carry-on allowance on the Big Front Seat.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 6:55 pm

Programs: Delta Ham Sammich, SPG, Hertz #1 Gold, Chalet Suites Matterhorn
Wow... two near misses by tornadoes and you become so lenient and accepting...
Old Apr 28, 2011, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
My FA gave me a few mini bottles of Tanquerey upon deplaning....I have flown with her 4 or 5 times in the last year... she knows the drill...

ALso, note, as a professional, I got 2 on the ground with a plastic cupper takeoff aid...

I have tried and tried to teach y'all... the world isn't fair... cry about it or take advantage of it....
Old Apr 28, 2011, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
My FA gave me a few mini bottles of Tanquerey upon deplaning....I have flown with her 4 or 5 times in the last year... she knows the drill...

ALso, note, as a professional, I got 2 on the ground with a plastic cupper takeoff aid...

I have tried and tried to teach y'all... the world isn't fair... cry about it or take advantage of it....
Pro
Old Apr 28, 2011, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL PM; AA Gold; Hyatt Globalist; HH D, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Vuelos
From the sound of it, people were up and about during the flight (including FA's in coach), I would let Delta know in the strongest of terms and be specific with details.

Bottom line: service is paramount, it takes 5-7 mins to serve drinks to the entire front cabin find it hard to believe there was not of 5-7 min of smooth air during the flight.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 7:49 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Sky Club, United Club, Admirals Club, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
cry about it or and take advantage of it....
There, fixed it for ya...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.