Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

"There are 50 to 55 planes ahead of us to take off..."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"There are 50 to 55 planes ahead of us to take off..."

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2011, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA EP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Unhappy "There are 50 to 55 planes ahead of us to take off..."

Pilot just came on and informed us we'd be taxiing for close to an hour and half. He says he's never seen this before. I'm on Delta 1847 LGA to ATL.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 8:35 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Estimated to arrive at gate 4 min later than scheduled
Old Apr 28, 2011, 8:37 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Just be glad you're not at JFK. I've been that deep there before, but half the airplanes waiting to take off are heavies...
Old Apr 28, 2011, 8:37 am

Programs: DL DM. EK Gold. UA1K. BA Silver. SPG Plat. HH. Diamond.
Happens to me almost every time i fly out of NY, then again, i'm talking JFK.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 8:39 am

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
The storm earlier this morning was during "rush time"

Yes, it looks like you are going to taxi for a while... it's good that you can still use the cellphone :-) I think you'd be more than 4 minutes late though

We can play the game "how many FT are stuck on the same flight?" and see if anyone else posts from a different seat (I am watching from my window to the general direction of the airport, and it is cloudy, but it seems like takeoffs/landing are in normal/slow progress...
Old Apr 28, 2011, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Best part is the flight attendant just came on the intercom and said "ladies and gentlemen, remember airplanes are a closed space so keep your phone conversations to a minimum"

I think the estimated arrival time is wrong. The pilot mentioned a 2 hour flying time due to storms around Washington and we still have over an hour of taxiing...
Old Apr 28, 2011, 8:46 am

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
They are not up to date with scheduling...

They are boarding the 11am (1647) which shows already a delay, and it means people there are not going to be happy... they have proactively delayed 12pm depature on 1947 to 1:11pm, and 1:00pm is now delayed to 1:30pm. I would say if you need to board any of them---> go to the 'lounge' and wait for the the mess to be over.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 8:46 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jpmardini
Best part is the flight attendant just came on the intercom and said "ladies and gentlemen, remember airplanes are a closed space so keep your phone conversations to a minimum"

I think the estimated arrival time is wrong. The pilot mentioned a 2 hour flying time due to storms around Washington and we still have over an hour of taxiing...
Yep. Per flightaware:

Direct: 761 sm Planned: 844 sm
Old Apr 28, 2011, 8:51 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
I once was flying out of LGA in my own small plane one evening and was number 48 for takeoff. Easily over an hour so I asked for permission to kill the engine for a while (to save about 15 gallons of fuel) and the tower was pleased to approve. Fortunately, they were able to squeeze me in after about half an hour so I got the call and scooted! (Hard to do that in a big plane, however.)
Old Apr 28, 2011, 8:59 am
Original Poster

On a positive note...we just "cut" in front of some AA planes in the taxi line...gooooooo DELTA! Hahaha

Last edited by jpmardini; Apr 28, 2011 at 9:00 am Reason: iPhone spell check...
Old Apr 28, 2011, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by jpmardini
He says he's never seen this before.
His first week on the job?
Old Apr 28, 2011, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BearX220
His first week on the job?
In his defense, I fly in and out of LGA multiple times a week and I've never seem this before either. The most I've had is 20, maybe 25 max.

Now, JFK on the other hand.....haha never fun there at night.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 9:17 am

Programs: DL DM/SC, SPG Plat, UA, AA, Hertz Gold
50-55 is pretty long. At JFK that wouldn't surprise me... but at LGA it does.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 9:20 am

Programs: DL-Pyrite Medallion
The normal departure fix on the LGA-ATL route is called 'LANNA' and is considered a west fix. With the line of T-storms advancing from the west, LANNA is shutdown or experiencing 'Miles in Trail' metering. From what I can see, ATC has tried to use the other western fixes (ELIOT/BIGGY/NEION) for those departures but haven't been able to keep them open which explains the large backup on the ground. The ATL flights are now filing over the southern fix called WHITE which will allow them to get out for a while and explains why you jumped an AA plane who is undoubtedly stuck waiting on a western fix for ORD. White basically routes you just off shore of the Jersey coast down towards Delware/Eastern shore of Maryland, but that too will close eventually with the storms pushing east.

For what it's worth, within a span of about 20 minutes, the ATC Command Center just ground stopped DCA/BWI/LGA/EWR/PHL/TEB/JFK/HPN. Good luck in the northeast today.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Ground stop until storms pass later this afternoon.....heading back to the gate now. Not a good day up north.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.