Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta IT being way to proactive in my opinion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta IT being way to proactive in my opinion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2011, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I believe this was NW SOP, but apparently DL has a different policy, and tighter loads may make it impossible to protect when they know one or more seats won't be used.

I think they are trying to be helpful. I know they are reading this thread and it will be good feedback for them as they tweak the systems.

Were the other 20+ HVCs like you @:-)
Actually I was informed by several NWA VP's and higher (long before the merger) that leaving you on the original flight but protecting you on another simply wasn't possible (I got tired of saying "but they do it all the time")....it's something the Res Agents did to take care of us and as long as they were taking care of elites no one said a word to them
Old Apr 21, 2011, 5:56 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
I wish you could 'opt out" of this auto re-booking.

Back in January, it kept on rebooking me for the next day and I kept calling and requesting to be put back on my original flight. (CLE-ATL-CHS) This happen 4 times before I arrived in ATL, I did make my original flight.

Just two weeks ago SFO-SLC-OKC, I saw I was going to miss connected in SLC prior to leaving SFO. I called the Dia Desk and they protected me on the first flight out of SLC to OKC the next morning. Upon Landing I went to the sky club for my boarding pass and vouchers. The system printed out SLC-ORD-DTW-OKC and I said what happened to the direct flight that I was protected on, they told me it was still there, but the system thought you wanted extra legs so they re-booked you on this flight.

While the automatic rebooking is good in concept, it rarely works for me, and I call and get a better option. That is why I think for medalions this should be an option
Old Apr 21, 2011, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by RobOnLI

EDIT: The only thing I would have done differently from what the OP did was to call the elite line and ask to be protected on the next SEA-MSP flight while explicitly stating that I wanted to keep my orig SEA-MSP flight. Most agents can/will do this for you. Or, if I did it at check-in with an agent I would have asked for a print out of the new itinerary.

-RM
This is what i had asked the check-in agent in HNL to do for me. Keep my original but protect me on the next flight and she said she would do it.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 6:12 am
Original Poster

I also will agree the NW system had this down. I know if you are on a Flight with DL and you are on the upgrade list for example, they have NO way to protect you as standby or confirmed on the next flight. If you are not any other lists for the first flight i think DL does have a way to do it.

I had a similar situation on a 4 1/2 hr SJC delay earlier this yr. But i was on the standby FC list so they had no way to protect me on any other SFO/SJC flight.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 6:17 am
Suspended

DL IT Problems

Originally Posted by MNAudiS4
So i am booked HNL-SEA-MSP, the SEA-HNL flight gets behind with strong headwinds. So we are delayed 30 minutes, which turns into an hr leaving HNL. I asked the Priority check-in to make sure the system would keep me on the 7:04 SEA-MSP leg even though our tenative arrival time was 7:05.

So once we were close enough for gogo, i noticed they rebooked me on the 8:40 SEA-MSP flight, gave up my FC seat on the 7:04 and rebooked me into FC on 8:40, all is good.

Well i land and get off and i hear we are holding the 7:04 MSP flight for the 23 connections, so i go to the gate and they say sorry the sytem rebooked you and we didn't know about you.

I am all about being proactive but at least hold my orignal until they close boarding.

Why didn't the system do the other 20+ passengers, i seem to be the only one that got bumped, i was the only connection in FC connecting.
My take on this is that DL's IT problems are more than an invonvenience, they are hurting DL's business plan.

I looked at a potentional trip on DL to SIN in the fall. This was one of the least expensive options in Y:

Fly to DTW early in the monring and spend the night there. Fly to Tokyo thie next day and spend the night A N D change airports to take a connecting flight to SIN. DL has worked hard and advertised to drive people to book on delta.com but results like these just drive us to travel agents and other sites to book.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 7:59 am

For what it's worth, I was on the exact same flight from HNL-SEA and didn't lose my seat. They did protect me on a funky MSP-DTW-MSN routing home instead of MSP-MSN as originally booked, though. Luckily I didn't need it.

Pretty sure it was you, MNAudiS4, I saw giving the MSP gate agent at SEA a hard time, too.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 9:40 am

Not Really an IT issue

I doubt this is really an IT issue. IT doesn't get to make up rebooking rules. They take a set of requirements from business leaders and implement them. Most likely Operations defined the business rules and that's what we're all suck with until they come up with something better.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:30 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by Burj
That really sucks....the disaster that is Delta IT knows no bounds...

It is amazing to me that they would even try to implement something like this knowing all the ways it could go wrong...kinda like a fat man trying to pole vault...

I recommend you contact Delta...stressing that other people were allowed to connect/take the flight...and that it cost you your first class upgrade.

On a side note....why doesn't this count as IDB? If you have a valid ticket and even a boarding pass and you show up for your flight and they don't let you on...isn't that IDB?
The OP didn't lose his upgrade. He stated he was rebooked into FC on the later flight. Overall I don't see the huge disaster here.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xx2kewll
For what it's worth, I was on the exact same flight from HNL-SEA and didn't lose my seat. They did protect me on a funky MSP-DTW-MSN routing home instead of MSP-MSN as originally booked, though. Luckily I didn't need it.

Pretty sure it was you, MNAudiS4, I saw giving the MSP gate agent at SEA a hard time, too.
Well i was the first one to gate S3 off the plane since i was in the back of FC. She had no idea what happened, i tried to explain it and she said you were never on this flight, until i showed her my original Boarding pass, i was not mad i just said ok. I figured with the delayed push the next flight would only be an hr behind. I didn't feel like a middle in the back.

I guess i need to figure out why i lost my seat and was given an option to get one back in them middle in the back. Why no one else seemed to lose there original seat.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:43 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by MNAudiS4
Why no one else seemed to lose there original seat.
SkyPriority in action. You were auto-rebooked because (I am assuming) only F was open and/or the system was only automatically set to run on your record.

ALSO, the others may have been part of a large group traveling together?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.