Wiki Posts
Search

Using Pay With Miles, Do you Get MQM?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2011, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Using Pay With Miles, Do you Get MQM?

If I use Pay With Miles to pay for part or all of a flight, will I still earn MQMs? What about if I use miles for an award ticket?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
No MQM as documented.

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_mi...iles/index.jsp
Old Apr 14, 2011, 7:33 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
No and No.

Originally Posted by Delta.com
Tickets purchased with full or partial Pay with Miles redemptions are not eligible for mileage accrual, mileage upgrades, Platinum Systemwide Upgrade Certificates.
http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_mi...iles/index.jsp
Old Apr 14, 2011, 7:33 am
VBF

Programs: MVPG 75K, National Exec
You do not receive MQMs for a PWM flight, nor do you receive MQMs for a flight taken with an award ticket.

Best route here would be to order up some of those AmEx giftcards from the SkyMiles Marketplace and use those to pay for your ticket. At 11,000 miles/$100 (I assume you have a Delta AmEx as PWM would not be an option otherwise), it is an almost identical exchange as PWM and you get MQMs.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VBF
You do not receive MQMs for a PWM flight, nor do you receive MQMs for a flight taken with an award ticket.

Best route here would be to order up some of those AmEx giftcards from the SkyMiles Marketplace and use those to pay for your ticket. At 11,000 miles/$100 (I assume you have a Delta AmEx as PWM would not be an option otherwise), it is an almost identical exchange as PWM and you get MQMs.
Good idea... but can you deposit those amex gift cards into a checking account? I assume you can't use more than one to buy a ticket
Old Apr 14, 2011, 7:41 am

Programs: DL-DM, PC-PM
Simple answer is "No, Do you think this is NWA?" (which BTW, did offer MQM for the portion not paid w/ miles)
Old Apr 14, 2011, 8:01 am

Programs: - DL DM, HH Gold
Originally Posted by VBF

good tip ^
Old Apr 14, 2011, 8:06 am

Programs: - DL DM, HH Gold
cautionary note

Originally Posted by AeoNKiNG
If I use Pay With Miles to pay for part or all of a flight, will I still earn MQMs? What about if I use miles for an award ticket?
No. And caution! What is more, that applies to all on the same booking.

Eg, you and Mr(s?) AeonKing are planning to fly togther, at $1000 per ticket, a.in. So a total of $2000.

So you think "I will get miles, and part PWM for Mr(s) AeonKing's ticket?"

Nope, even though you are paying $1500 cash and mentally using $500 worth of your miles "for Mr/s Aeonking's ticket", neither will get miles.

Of course if you book on separate bookings/PNRs, you then get into a whole different debate about separate PNRs when flying together, but that is discussed exhaustively elsewhere.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TATL lawyer
No. And caution! What is more, that applies to all on the same booking.

Eg, you and Mr(s?) AeonKing are planning to fly togther, at $1000 per ticket, a.in. So a total of $2000.

So you think "I will get miles, and part PWM for Mr(s) AeonKing's ticket?"

Nope, even though you are paying $1500 cash and mentally using $500 worth of your miles "for Mr/s Aeonking's ticket", neither will get miles.

Of course if you book on separate bookings/PNRs, you then get into a whole different debate about separate PNRs when flying together, but that is discussed exhaustively elsewhere.
Good to know, thanks! ^ And btw, I am Mr. AeoNKiNG, my girl is Mrs. AeoNKiNG. Why would a girl make her name AeoNKiNG!?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 9:07 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Plat
BTW - one way around this is to book a refundable ticket using PWM. After the 24-hour cancellation period is up, you can cancel your flight. Instead of refunding your miles, DL will issue you an ECV - which can be used to book a flight which accrues miles and MQM.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 9:29 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
you beat me to it. this is definitely the way to do things...
Originally Posted by msuroo
BTW - one way around this is to book a refundable ticket using PWM. After the 24-hour cancellation period is up, you can cancel your flight. Instead of refunding your miles, DL will issue you an ECV - which can be used to book a flight which accrues miles and MQM.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 9:47 am

Programs: DL DM; Hertz Gold PC
Yes it works (sometimes), but
(1) you have to wait at least a few weeks to get refund (see for example here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...xperience.html) and
(2) they may refund $$ and miles, not issuing eCV. I know refund by miles contradicts their published rules, but is happened.

I would use AmEx Gift Cards to eliminate headache with refund, including multiple calls to DL CSC.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by inno.SAN-ICN
I would use AmEx Gift Cards to eliminate headache with refund, including multiple calls to DL CSC.
Except I heard it can also be a big headache to pay with multiple cards -- since the AMEX cards are only $100 each, this could be a problem.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:25 am

Programs: DM-(DL)/CO/AA/US/ RW (Road Warrior)
As people already mention. No.

Only 'if' Delta would bring back Northwest PerkChoice. You could pay miles and get MQM. As I recall... back in the days of NW website.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Could you explain this a tad more? I assume that you mean they refund at the $.01/mile that they originally subtracted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.