Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tried to give up my seat

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2011, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Tried to give up my seat

So I am in ATL yesterday (Friday) and I really do not need to be home at any particular time. Flights have a lot of standbys (late planes causing missed connections). There is a nice lady trying to get on the plane bacause her daughter is in labor. She is second on the standby list. I try to get the GA to let her have my seat. I am a parent and I know it would have been nice for her to get there for the birth.

Anyway, GA says she can not do it because the lady is second on the list. I would have gladly accepted a seat on the next available flight and a pass to the Sky Club to wait it out and no additional comp just to be nice to this lady and her daughter.

GA would not do it.

Any comments?
Old Mar 5, 2011, 11:54 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Sucks, but understandable. If the gate agent had time, she might have tried paging the person who was first to see if s/he would let the other lady move ahead, but given the time constraints they're under, it's often tough to convince them to do a bunch of things like that.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Lists are meant to provide order according to certain pre-established criteria, and without regard for the reason why someone needs to get from point A to B. Not saying she didn't have a daughter in labor, but can you imagine if people found out that this would work to move them up the list? Everyone would use those reasons.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, 2 MM
Originally Posted by javabytes
Lists are meant to provide order according to certain pre-established criteria, and without regard for the reason why someone needs to get from point A to B. Not saying she didn't have a daughter in labor, but can you imagine if people found out that this would work to move them up the list? Everyone would use those reasons.
This is very true. People will, and have used all kinds of medical "excuses" to get them moved to the top of the list. I know of at least two instances of people who have used a medical emergency to go to the top of the list. Of course, there was no medical emergency but they didn't want to fly standby. In the first case, the man's father was a doctor so no problem getting a medical excuse. In the second instance, the woman had a friend, who was a doctor, write an excuse. So yes, if DL starts making exceptions for all people who have medical emergencies the floodgates are open.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 4:53 pm
Suspended

They would not have given you a pass to the Sky Club in any case. Their attitude is, if you want to sit in the Sky Club, buy a membership or a one visit pass.

Originally Posted by cohenlaw
. . . I would have gladly accepted a seat on the next available flight and a pass to the Sky Club to wait it out and no additional comp just to be nice to this lady and her daughter.

GA would not do it.

Any comments?

Last edited by dream7; Mar 5, 2011 at 4:59 pm
Old Mar 5, 2011, 5:38 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by dream7
They would not have given you a pass to the Sky Club in any case. Their attitude is, if you want to sit in the Sky Club, buy a membership or a one visit pass.
It would depend on if the fight was overbooked or not. If they were willing to take VDBs for hundreds of dollars then a SC pass would certainly be reasonable (if they have the mechanics to do it).

It these were not confirmed pax, then the OP should of course not get any comp, and it might depend on the GA if they were allowed to change at all for free.

I do agree with the "lists are lists" posts. Could you imagine all the "Son of Sheena" threads if the GA could do what the OP suggested?
Old Mar 6, 2011, 1:52 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
You could have swapped boarding passes. Provided, you felt you could trust her.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 7:44 am

Programs: DL GM/2.7MM, Marriott Lifetime PL, SPG Lifetime PL,Hilton Gold, Natl Lifetime Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Andy1369
You could have swapped boarding passes. Provided, you felt you could trust her.
Well since the lady in question was a standby and did not have a boarding pass what exactly would you be swapping? I believe you would be swapping for a whole bunch of trouble for your good deed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.