Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

CO drops free snacks in Y; DL to follow?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2011, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles

Article here

Discussion at the CO forum

Currently, according to the article, DL has no current plans to discontinue comp. snacks in coach. Let's hope they will stick to that! Those Biscoffs are just yummy!
Old Mar 3, 2011, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Didn't NW drop snacks not too long before the merger? I'd say DL has already sent its message on snacks, since they kept them during the merger.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 3:22 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I don't understand why people have to have a snack and plastic cup of soda just because they are on a plane for ninety minutes. Seriously, how many other things do we engage in for ninety minutes without food or snack? The time, resources and energy expended on getting everyone a small handful of salty nuts or a tiny cookie could be better spent elsewhere. And don't get me started on flights that are delayed waiting for the stuff.

Flights under two hours should have water available in coach and nothing else. The whining about not getting a few ounces of Sprite because the flight attendants were stuck in their seats during turbulence for most of the flight would end.

Kroger and Publix both sell Biscoff Cookies. You can order them online. Order a box and bring a couple with you on each flight. You will have them when you want them and won't have to wait for the FA.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 3:39 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Didn't NW drop snacks not too long before the merger? I'd say DL has already sent its message on snacks, since they kept them during the merger.
I think that was their message at the time. I would not be surprised if in a couple of years, DL gets rid of free snacks in Y. It is all about fees.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Plat
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CJKatl
I don't understand why people have to have a snack and plastic cup of soda just because they are on a plane for ninety minutes. Seriously, how many other things do we engage in for ninety minutes without food or snack? The time, resources and energy expended on getting everyone a small handful of salty nuts or a tiny cookie could be better spent elsewhere. And don't get me started on flights that are delayed waiting for the stuff.

Flights under two hours should have water available in coach and nothing else. The whining about not getting a few ounces of Sprite because the flight attendants were stuck in their seats during turbulence for most of the flight would end.

Kroger and Publix both sell Biscoff Cookies. You can order them online. Order a box and bring a couple with you on each flight. You will have them when you want them and won't have to wait for the FA.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 3:51 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred

I totally agree with you but I can already hear the whiny, entitled (in their own minds) people around here screaming that it is the end of the world if DL did that.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 3:54 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium

I have to disagree. This isn't like a road trip where you can pull into the nearest McDonalds for a burger, fries, and a coke. You can be on a plane for almost 7 hours on a domestic flight. Most of my flights are much longer than 90 minutes. A little something, such as a bag of nuts goes a long way.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 4:32 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat.

^

In answer to your question, we have snacks on all plane rides because we, as a country, have snacks *everywhere*. PTO meetings, office lobbys, auto service shops (mine has ice cream. . . do I really need that?). . . just about anywhere we might be standing or sitting for more than 15 min. seems to require refreshments. And we wonder why we have an obesity epidemic?

Get rid of snacks in coach and utilize the resources elsewhere. In response to a poster's comments about 7 hr. flights: Bring some food of your own (which will be much more filling than 2 oz. of peanuts).
Old Mar 3, 2011, 4:37 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL

Flights under two hours should have water available in coach and nothing else.

But FC still gets the snack basket?
Old Mar 3, 2011, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
This is somewhat misleading, CO shorter flight under 2 hour in first beverge only, no free snacks in first.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club

Two hours quickly becomes 4 or 5 (and 4 or 5 hour flights become even longer) when you factor in driving to the airport, checking in, standing in security lines, being at the gate well before departure, and claiming bags. Sure, people can plan ahead or buy something in the airport, but when you do this a hundred times a year it's nice to know there's one less thing to worry about.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl

And I assume, as DL DM, you fly coach often and are generously offering to give up this little perk for the sake of efficiency.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 5:34 pm

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Gosh, if I have nothing to eat then I lose my excuse that I need that second Woodford to wash it down
Old Mar 3, 2011, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by akcae
And I assume, as DL DM, you fly coach often and are generously offering to give up this little perk for the sake of efficiency.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 5:54 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
There's a lot wrong with America's eating habits, but I'm thinking the obesity epidemic didn't result from airline peanuts.

Count me as one who would be sad to see snacks go, just as I was sad to see duck go from FC meals, F from international flights, and pillows from behind the heads of those in coach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.