Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Most Million Miler Miles without "Completing the Fleet" ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most Million Miler Miles without "Completing the Fleet" ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2011, 9:20 pm

Programs: DL DM
the other way round

How about this, what is the minimum mileage needed to cover the whole fleet?
Old Mar 9, 2011, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
All that and never the Fairchild?
thanks, forgot that one (also overlooked Comair SF-340, PA L-1011-500 and PA (ex-NA) 727-100, PA 747SP, WA Electra) ... my orig post now edited 2x...

Last edited by jrl767; Mar 9, 2011 at 10:06 am Reason: update, looked at log
Old Mar 9, 2011, 7:11 am

Programs: DL DM, UA, IC Royal Amb, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis First
This might be a fun one to do in reverse. I've got about 365K MM and I've done everything. I did MSP-IMT-ESC-DTW once so I could take the Saab. Also, even though I live 15 miles away from SLC, I drove to EKO once so I could take the EMB-120. I've only done the 777 on LAX-ATL, so I'm not sure if that counts.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

addendum, since I posted the above I have flown and was thouroughly unimpressed with DL's A330's.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 8:33 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by baccarat0809
The seats in that RJ-85 were the best NW/DL had until they rolled out the lie-flats on the triple-7. Too bad they had 4 engines and sucked too much fuel, although from what I heard they were the only aircraft certified to get into a few airports due to having 4 engines.
Air France's commuter partner CityJet owns at least one Avro RJ85 that once belonged to Mesaba Air. I flew it ZRH-CDG last month.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 8:45 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Here's an Aircraft I've Never Tried

The A340-600, which is the long-range version of this particular airframe. I've seen them on the ground; for example, South Africa Airways flies this type of aircraft on the IAD-JNB route.

I did go on an A340-300 operated by Air France IAD-CDG. Weird noises and vibrations on take-off, but a very nice flight overall.

I think back over 49 years of flying what aircraft I missed out on. Electras and Caravelles come to mind. Also, the funkadelic Fairchild aircraft with the nose pointed downward at a rakish angle that Ozark flew.

I remember being on a 727 in 1968 on American Airlines coming back to ORD from MEX; the first time I got to sit in F (we had accompanied my dad on a business trip to Queretaro, Mexico, and his company picked up our tickets). I think I must have been on a 727-100, as the 727-200 apparently did not come out until the early 1970s. When we went to California from ORD, we were either on a DC-10 or a Boeing 720. I was on a 707 in 1962 as a 7 year old on American, IDL-SFO. Loved the Convair 50 seat propeller aircraft that North Central flew--always thought the seats were plush, even though they were noiser than he**.

This summer, got to go on the A380 and the B717 for the first time. Have not gone on an A318 (I saw the BA flight LCY-SNN-JFK land at JFK the last time I was there).
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by hfly
addendum, since I posted the above I have flown and was thouroughly unimpressed with DL's A330's.
Certainly better than the 763ERs especially in the front Y section with power and extra legroom.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:26 pm

Programs: RDM AS 100K - 1MM / DL DM - 3MM / Marriott Ambassador - Lifetime Titanium Elite
2.3MM and I will fly my first A330-300 in two weeks and my first transatlantic 757. No 747 yet. I did fly on a Cessna 182 once on a ticket booked through Delta.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:43 pm

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
Originally Posted by hfly
That's okay, I don't know of many people that were impressed with any of the NW fleet that came over.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by photojojo
That's okay, I don't know of many people that were impressed with any of the NW fleet that came over.
I've always been a DL guy... But NW came over with a decent international fleet. 747s < 777s (DL win), A330s > 767s (NW win). Domestic fleet, slight advantage to DL. NW brought fleet diversity and brought some AVOD to some transcon routes that DL did not have. Also NW brought a true flagship (in terms of size and reputation) to DL's fleet.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The A330 may be better in Y, I would not know, I do know that it is pretty poor upfront.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 8:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
I forget, but I think I flew a Continental partner one time from Miami to Key West. Had a group of us going down to Lobster season. We had been drinking heavily. The plane had like 12 seats, and no FA, and no head. It shook, and bumped and shimmied its way South over A 1 A. We paid a bartender at MIA to fill our coke bottles with brown liquor. Those quickly found another use. Only two people on the plane were not with our group. There is a good chance that they will never fly again...

I have always wondered what kind of plane it was... I think it was single engine, but it was dark and I had distractions...
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I forget, but I think I flew a Continental partner one time from Miami to Key West. Had a group of us going down to Lobster season. We had been drinking heavily. The plane had like 12 seats, and no FA, and no head. It shook, and bumped and shimmied its way South over A 1 A. We paid a bartender at MIA to fill our coke bottles with brown liquor. Those quickly found another use. Only two people on the plane were not with our group. There is a good chance that they will never fly again...

I have always wondered what kind of plane it was... I think it was single engine, but it was dark and I had distractions...
Cape Air?
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles

Did the pilot look like this?

Old Sep 24, 2011, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
.5MM for me and I am missing only the 747 for mainline and the E-170 for Connection (have the -175).

Originally Posted by crypto
How about this, what is the minimum mileage needed to cover the whole fleet?
Probably less than 50k if done right. There's a 747 coming up on LAX-ATL, so that's 1946. 777s are on DTW-ATL at 590. Don't think there's any A330s domestically right now, but you can often find them on JFK-ATL, same with the 767-300ER (I've had the -300 on ATL-MSP and the -200 on JFK-ATL for A330s). Plenty of <500 mile routes for the A319, A320, 737-7/8, 757, DC-9-50, MD-88, MD-90.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.