Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

I just saw a dude in the Crown room wearing a Diamond Medalllion Hat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I just saw a dude in the Crown room wearing a Diamond Medalllion Hat

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2011, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL DM
I love this thread.
Old May 18, 2011, 1:09 am

Programs: DL FO, Hertz #1 Gold
What is wrong with Diamond Hat guy?

Honestly, this has been bothering me for a while..
Why does Diamond hat guy get so much "hate" ?
I understand that he may showing how proud he is of possibly reaching Diamond status once in his life?

Maybe he doesn't know what Diamond status is (even though he has been spotted in the Skyclubs numerous times), maybe the hat was gifted to him by his son that recently died and he wears it everywhere as a keepsake?

I dare any of you that see this guy to actually have a real conversation with this person and defer your judgement until then.

It was funny at first, now it's just an old joke. If we knew the reason why this person is wearing the hat all the time it would help the FT community or at least the Delta forum be more compassionate to others that fly their favourite airline.
Old May 18, 2011, 2:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH gold
I think that there are a few of reasons why people joke:

1) He is flaunting his status. Wearing Delta branded apparel shows that you are a fan of flying. Wearing a DM hat and shirt goes perhaps a tad to far in the DWKWIA direction (i.e. I am an elite, you are a mere PM)

2) He (or a friend) took the time and effort to make an item flaunting said status. If Delta passed out DM apparel then it would be--at most--tacky. By spending all of the effort to make such an item, he shows that status means just a tad too much. Granted, I would be damn proud if I were DM.

3) Thomas Hudson (a DM) introduced the item as a joke, thus setting the tone for future laughs at Diamond Hat Guy's expense. If Diamond Hat Guy makes himself known, perhaps he can change this perception.
Old May 18, 2011, 6:10 am

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Originally Posted by Zomba
I think that there are a few of reasons why people joke:

1) He is flaunting his status. Wearing Delta branded apparel shows that you are a fan of flying. Wearing a DM hat and shirt goes perhaps a tad to far in the DWKWIA direction (i.e. I am an elite, you are a mere PM)

2) He (or a friend) took the time and effort to make an item flaunting said status. If Delta passed out DM apparel then it would be--at most--tacky. By spending all of the effort to make such an item, he shows that status means just a tad too much. Granted, I would be damn proud if I were DM.

3) Thomas Hudson (a DM) introduced the item as a joke, thus setting the tone for future laughs at Diamond Hat Guy's expense. If Diamond Hat Guy makes himself known, perhaps he can change this perception.
Who really cares? I say live & let live unless the guy is disruptive or really obnoxious in some other way.
Old May 18, 2011, 6:34 am

As mentioned in the original thread, this guy has a rep for yelling and being rude to DL employees. That alone draws attention - and then you couple it with the hat and shirt and he's basically setting himself up to be a target.
Old May 18, 2011, 6:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH gold
Originally Posted by gsupstate
Who really cares? I say live & let live unless the guy is disruptive or really obnoxious in some other way.
I am not trying to justify the attention, merely answer with why I think people take such an interest in Diamond Medallion Hat Guy. I have gotten mercilessly mocked for plenty of things in my life (some deserved, probably, like wearing jean shorts).

Look at how many people talk about celeb sightings on DL aircraft. I couldn't care less, but it is interesting to some folks.
Old May 18, 2011, 6:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Perhaps it is because he is what occurs to an Elite when he/she hits critical mass. He is the 10.o mag earthquake and the Cat 5 Hurricane of elites... why? Because he overtly flaunts his status to a level no one has done before... took it upon himself to procure wears to flaunt his status.... and he, at least from what I saw, treats Delta staff like dogs... the guy is a living Sienfeld character.... no two ways about it....
Old May 18, 2011, 6:58 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
That is the opposite kind of original posting I was envisioning from the title of this thread...
Old May 18, 2011, 7:17 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
took it upon himself to procure wears to flaunt his status....
Epic.

Reminds me of the Amex/Conan commercial where he travels to India for the red silk curtains...
Old May 18, 2011, 7:19 am

Programs: NW Plat, Hilton, Avis
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
... and he, at least from what I saw, treats Delta staff like dogs... the guy is a living Sienfeld character.... no two ways about it....
Haven't seen Diamond Hat Guy at all....but it all sounds kinda creepy.

And never any excuse for treating DL staff badly.

Next time anybody seems him, maybe suggest he read FT and get a clue what people are saying about him. Although if I ever see him I'm gonna run the other way.
Old May 18, 2011, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by kicker
Epic.

Reminds me of the Amex/Conan commercial where he travels to India for the red silk curtains...
I think of him more like Alec Baldwin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rVE7haSLmE
Old May 18, 2011, 7:46 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
[QUOTE=Zomba;16406929]I have gotten mercilessly mocked for plenty of things in my life (some deserved, probably, like wearing jean shorts).
QUOTE]

jean shorts are back!!!
Old May 18, 2011, 7:47 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by avidflyer
I think of him more like Alec Baldwin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rVE7haSLmE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=845Hx...eature=related

You can't land on a fraction....
Old May 18, 2011, 7:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

[QUOTE=vgb2001;16407254]
Originally Posted by Zomba
I have gotten mercilessly mocked for plenty of things in my life (some deserved, probably, like wearing jean shorts).
QUOTE]

jean shorts are back!!!
At UF, they never were gone....
Old May 18, 2011, 8:13 am

Programs: Delta FO, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Gold, Nat'l Exec, Amex Plat
[QUOTE=Thomas Hudson;16407266]
Originally Posted by vgb2001

At UF, they never were gone....
Along with thin gold necklaces and Danny Wuerffel jerseys...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.