Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Anymore info on recent redemption increase for intra-asia?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anymore info on recent redemption increase for intra-asia?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2011, 5:00 am

Programs: DLPlat;AA,BA,US
Just my two cents...I realize I am not an airline executive, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

LOL...
and for me...I will fly the coop...
Hello United!
tj
Old Feb 19, 2011, 6:13 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by Canarsie
One of our contacts at Delta Air Lines has communicated to us that the comments posted in this thread have indeed captured their attention, and they are listening. However, a few people who are involved with this issue at Delta Air Lines are currently unavailable for the weekend, but hopefully an official response to this issue will be posted in this thread sometime in the near future. This is certainly not a request to stifle discussion; rather, it is a request to please be patient until Delta Air Lines posts their official response to this matter.

Also, please keep in mind that I am merely passing on information at the request of Delta Air Lines.

Thank you.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta SkyMiles forum
Perhaps they are listening but they haven't for the past two years since they acquired NW, certainly to flyers based in Asia.

When I moved to Singapore from the US I was a GM and wanted to be loyal to DL because the onboard experience is better than AA and I'll be happy if I can get through the rest of my life without ever having to fly UA again.

There's even a credit card in Singapore which can earn you Skymiles, but:
- there has been no award chart to tell you what you can redeem them for
- over a year ago the NW site, where you had more visibility on redemptions with airlines other than DL, was shut down
- points promos and the Amex relationship are primarily targeted at US based members
- Redemptions on the DL website for Asia to US are a sea of Medium and High anyway
- one-way awards at half price in order provide some redeemability aren't possible
- calling in to redeem often shows you are more aware of DL partner airlines than the DL rep you're speaking to.

Perhaps the focus has been on the US since the merger, but there is a loyal base in Asia (primarily as a result of the NW acquisition) on whom there has been no focus, just as SkyTeam is gaining critical mass in the region. Many of the issues I've listed are ones DL has been aware of for some time (as posted on FT), but to quote Jeff Robertson when Cranky Flier asked him about one-way awards "It’s just not at the top of the priority list." http://crankyflier.com/2010/09/16/th...es-discussion/

Maybe they can refresh that loyalty base but if they can't put something as simple as a redemption chart up ex-rest-of-world, I haven't been waiting in the hope they decide to at some point. I was almost going to transfer miles to DL in order to book one of these supposed 20,000 SIN-NRT awards, but now I'll continue to look forward to redeeming Asia-US one-way in J using 55,000 AA miles.

I commend AAdvantage to Asia based flyers who want to redeem internationally at rates which are actually achievable to someone who isn't putting the GDP of a small South Pacific Island nation through their credit card and already flying on 150 days of the year. I'm sure others can recommend other programs.

I really like DL the airline, Skymiles just doesn't make a compelling case for it - perhaps for FTers like mooper, but not for me.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 7:51 am

Programs: NH-SFC, SQ, UA, JL- JGC/Sapphire, AA, DL, IHG-Gold, SPG-Gold, Marriott-gold
Judging from their attitudes (no redemption chart more than 2yrs, no advance
notice in changing redemtion miles), i dont think they care about customers,
esp Asia-based ones, Jp-residents : ex-NW lovers.

DL could have shown a chart if they really want to, but they didnt,
which i would take it on purpose.

As an Asia-based flyer what i can do is just burn my DL (originally from NW)
miles somewhere and never come back to DL. The long good-bye.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 8:32 am

Programs: BA*G, UA1K, SPG-P, HH-G, GP-D, IC-RA
I have noticed DL sent e-mail to their customers in Japan to buy more miles 2 days before the change. This is the funniest joke so far this year! Big controversy going on in Japan right now.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 8:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kazuwox
Judging from their attitudes (no redemption chart more than 2yrs, no advance
notice in changing redemtion miles), i dont think they care about customers,
esp Asia-based ones, Jp-residents : ex-NW lovers.

DL could have shown a chart if they really want to, but they didnt,
which i would take it on purpose.
As an Asia-based flyer what i can do is just burn my DL (originally from NW)
miles somewhere and never come back to DL. The long good-bye.
Its easy for Delta to increase the redemption amounts when they didnt even publish the original amounts in a chart in the first place.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:24 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
Its easy for Delta to increase the redemption amounts when they didnt even publish the original amounts in a chart in the first place.
DL published such award ticket pricing in charts and made them publicly available. Then DL pulled the charts out of public eye and hid them. The entire time before and since, DL has published award charts and award travel rules, but it just has the most recent published ones retained for internal use while publicly fleecing its customers and setting up its customers for further fleecing by playing this kind of customer-unfriendly game via the use of smoke and mirrors.

I find that this awful approach to customers is so very typical of DL SkyMiles management that if I were to be surprised by this situation with intra-Asia trips that I'd have to slap myself for behaving like an ostrich with its head buried in sand.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:54 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
I am done with Delta

This is one of the most frustrating changes that Delta has made since the merger.

Charging different level of miles by distance within Asia make NO sense. If anything, Delta should first apply such scheme in US & EU (e.g., charge more for SFO-JFK than SFO-LAX).

All I interpret from this change is that Delta simply does not want loyal Asian customers (even after indicating that it wants to become a premium airline in the region).

Well, I am probably one of few DMs you have in Asia, and you just lost my business completely to UA (after my flight today). Thanks so much for treating loyal Asian customers like that.

Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:56 am

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Platinum
After the merging, I've tried to adapt to the Delta. Delta, your management is so greedy and sneaky. Hiding the child fare from the website + the difficulty of the low level redemption. As an Asian elite, I don't see any reason to fly with delta or stay in skyteam. The SkyPeso is the worst program with consistently devaluing. I will inform this issue to Thai travel forums.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by TJPACIFIC
After the merging, I've tried to adapt to the Delta. Delta, your management is so greedy and sneaky. Hiding the child fare from the website + the difficulty of the low level redemption. As an Asian elite, I don't see any reason to fly with delta or stay in skyteam. The SkyPeso is the worst program with consistently devaluing. I will inform this issue to Thai travel forums.
I am going to inform this change to Korean travel forums as well. How in the world is Delta going to compete TPAC with KE/OZ? Makes no sense at all.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL Platinum
Originally Posted by Soros
I am going to inform this change to Korean travel forums as well. How in the world is Delta going to compete TPAC with KE/OZ? Makes no sense at all.
DL has not competed with KE/OZ since KE had safety issues and North Korea shot down their jets 30 years ago. KE/OZ offer a far, far superior product. Everyone knows it. But, they also charge for it. DL is after the price sensitive US market. They have shown us repeatedly, and most clearly in the past week, that they are either not interested in or don't understand the quality sensitive Asian market.

One of the best things about SM was the ability to redeem awards on KE in J at a reasonable rate within Asia.

Delta needs to understand that to be competitive, they don't need to beat the competition in every category, but they definitely need to stand apart in some categories. Northwest's WorldPerks program in very large part made up for the fairly poor product in Y. DL has a slightly better Y product, and IFE makes up for a lot. But, the question is whether or not that makes up for a defunct loyalty program that leaves such strong ill-will in its members.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 12:43 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by javabytes
How is this simple? You are familiar with the IT capabilities of this airline, right?

I also pitched a fit when I went to McDonald's the other day. The Quarter Pounder was $3.50. When I put the money into my mattress 15 years ago, it was $2.00. I immediately called McDonald's corporate as well as my Senator and asked why they raised the redemption rate for my money. That $20 bill was specifically intended for 10 burgers.

Think of miles as a currency. The time value of money applies. But there's no way to earn interest. A dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow; same for miles.
About IT, of course you are right on. That is why DL should dump it's 1960's era IT infrastructure and at least upgrade to something from this century... but oh wait, they just went through a big massive downgrade a year ago.

But, you are not right about a way to earn interest. On a dollar you can earn an interest: you can put it in a savings account and get interest. But, for SkyMiles there is no bank that will accept one's 100,000s or millions of SkyMiles balances as a legitimate currency to deposit and earn an interest on.

If you can earn interest on a currency, you expect it to be depreciate (and if it's expected to depreciate a lot, you typically earn a higher interest). But, for loyalty points it is a norm in the industry to make any massive changes to a program effective for the loyalty points earned after the change date, while keep the old policy/pricing in effect for ones earned prior to it.

Originally Posted by SingTel001
For who would like to use up all the balance and quit from SkyMiles asap (including me), I made award booking class chart for SkyMiles redemption.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...=0&output=html

I am not a frequent DL flyer so please correct any errors.

Tip1: Book on-line (can be held for a few days?)
Tip2: Choose direct access carrier for immediate availablity answer.

Routing: Up to 25M or published routing for the carrier
OJ: Only legal single open-jaw
Stopover: One (1) permitted per entire journey for round-trip/OJ itin enroute.
Transfer: Up to three (3) each way (two for soley north american itin)
This is helpful. Thanks!

Re: HA, "Hawaiian HA Y - D Z/T HNDHNL not eligible route " is correct. Also, HNL-ICN is not eligible either. (And HNL-SYD charges SkyHigh(TM) mileage, much higher than HA itself charges, and as such is a really poor value - just a side note on this.)

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
In my 40 year career, I have never been "unavailable for the weekend" unless I was out of the country or beyond the reach of modern technology.

I take this to mean they are absolutely flabbergasted that a beaten dog bites back... and they are buying more time as they desperately try to figure out what to do.
No, it's just that they really don't care. If they cared, they would turn on their computer and pick up their phones and figure it out without further delay - as any other even semi-responsible person in business would do. But, Dullta seems to have really low standard both for its operations and customers, as well as of its managers. Sad.

Some people within Dullta surely care. But, those who make the decisions clearly don't.

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
NO, if they follow their past behavior pattern, they will try to distract everyone by finding some other benefit they previously took away, give half of it back, and call it even.
...but, then quietly take it away again soon thereafter or simply just don't deliver it, but don't admit to it being taken away (though it is). Like they've done so many times it's even pointless to count...

Seriously, it's hard to think of a business that is more dishonest and double-standard than Dullta is. Why do the shareholders allow the bozos that run Dullta run it into ground and lose its highest value customers? (The damage is not immediate, but over years and months will be evident as Dullta keeps shrinking proportionally to other airlines and keeps further and further worsening it's already "worst of class" reputation.)

Last edited by Canarsie; Feb 19, 2011 at 8:12 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 3:11 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by s1c3r1a1b3b3l1e1
DL has not competed with KE/OZ since KE had safety issues and North Korea shot down their jets 30 years ago.
Not to pick nits with your post, but it was the Soviet Air Force that shot down KAL-007 and not the charming chaps of Pyongyang.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_...nes_Flight_007

Last edited by Sabai; Feb 19, 2011 at 4:50 pm
Old Feb 19, 2011, 3:44 pm

Programs: Delta FO
Anybody taken a look at the availability on the award calendar? This devaluation is even worse than we thought.

NRT-SIN J 1 day at low level in the next year (May 11th)
NRT-BKK J 1 day (Feb 23)

These routes have always had poor availability, but 1 day. you gotta be kidding me. Must be everyone cashing out their skymiles.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 5:14 pm

Programs: Delta MM
I have been a devout NW fan in Japan since the late 70s. I was going to see how Delta would fare post-merger, but they have completely disappointed, as well as ignored, its loyal customer base in Japan and the rest of Asia-Pacific by pulling these series of silly stunts. Delta has pushed me over the edge with the latest devaluation of the Skypesos, not to mention the other program "adjustments" already implemented. Being greedy is one thing, but unable to forewarn its customers with the latest changes in the loyalty program is totally unacceptable and pathetic. Delta management should be ashamed of themselves. Is it too hard to see the rest of the world from the deep south you are based?

Heated debate going on this weekend in Japanese travel foras. Everyone is pissed!

As for me, I am going to jump to *A, after almost 40 years of flying NW/DL. Such is life. Premium airline in AP?? Keep dreaming!
Old Feb 19, 2011, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by cozy5920

Heated debate going on this weekend in Japanese travel foras. Everyone is pissed!
Can share the jap forum links?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.