Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What to do near ATL for a couple of hours

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL,AA SPG Plat

I have an trip next week and booked a late flight back to DCA. Just wondering how I should spend a couple hours in the area?
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by bfxfd
I have an trip next week and booked a late flight back to DCA. Just wondering how I should spend a couple hours in the area?
How many hours is a couple and at what time of day? MARTA will take you 20-30 minutes to get to downtown and the same to get back. (Probably better assume 30 given service infrequency nowdays.) Then you'll have to get through security. I'd say anything less than four hours means it's probably not worth leaving the airport, because there's nothing in the area of town around the airport worth visiting.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:29 pm

Programs: Delta SKYMILES GM 1MM, BRITISH AIRWAYS GOLD, HHONOURS DIAMOND, PRIORITY PASS
http://spondivits.net/-locations.html

take the crown plaza courtesy bus and walk. Good atomosphere, good food
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:32 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Delta Plat, National Executive
If you've got 3+ hours take the Marta downtown and eat the Varsity, it's worth the trip. Get off the MARTA at the Ga Tech stop.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL,AA SPG Plat
Sorry should have mentioned it. I have about 5 hours before my flight on a sunday.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:40 pm

Five hours is workable. I'm kind of proud of the fact that in six years living in Atlanta, I never ate at the Varsity. However, my understanding is that it's an experience. The MARTA stop there is North Avenue.

If the weather is nice, I like Centennial Olympic Park. I always walked from campus, but I think the Georgia Dome/Georgia World Congress Center MARTA stop is closest. In that area, you've got CNN Center (yawn), World of Coca-Cola, and the GA Aquarium.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:42 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bfxfd

If you literally only have two hours then you should not leave the airport. The Atlanta metro area is a disaster for traffic and the public transportation can have issues as well.

Only risk it if you able and willing to take a later flight.

ATL is crowded but there are plenty of ways to kill two hours. Fried chicken and greens at Paschal's is one.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
If you're going to use MARTA, keep in mind that trains from the airport operate at 10-20 minute frequency on weekends. MARTA typically does track maintenance on weekends so their schedule is notoriously unreliable.

If you're wanting something a little less greasy than The Varsity, you might want to consider Mary Mac's. It's about 3-4 blocks east of the North Avenue station on Ponce de Leon. It's a diet-killer too but more representative of southern comfort food (not to be confused with Southern Comfort food) than the burgers and dogs at the Varsity. Whatever you decide, enjoy.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:52 pm

Big +1 to Mary Mac's. I have not had anything bad there. They could bring me a plate of cornbread stuffing, and I would devour it with gusto.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; HH Diamond; Starwood Plat, Lifetime Gold; Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by mtkeller
I'm kind of proud of the fact that in six years living in Atlanta, I never ate at the Varsity. However, my understanding is that it's an experience.
^ In my 17 years of living in Atlanta, I have eaten there once, and I went to GT...it is an experience for sure, one that may continue after you board your flight from ATL...
Old Feb 11, 2011, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by wjudge
^ In my 17 years of living in Atlanta, I have eaten there once, and I went to GT...it is an experience for sure, one that may continue after you board your flight from ATL...
Tech grad as well (PhD 2010). Took MARTA to campus my last two years of grad school and was never tempted to stop at the V, even when I was really hungry on my way home after a late day in the office. Even on gameday, when it seemed like the thing to do for some, I stayed away.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL PM Reserve
Don't listen to the Varisty nay-sayers. It is delicious. Many Atlantans eat there often (it's kinda a local place)....I have no idea why Tech student's are so stuck up about it that they would live so close to a great American eatery and never eat there.

Take Marta to North Ave station. Exit the South end of the station to find North Ave., and walk West one block.

Recommend ordering a Chili Dog Toasted (have to ask for it toasted), a Glorified Burger, and an Onion Rings. Also recommend going with a Froasted Orange for your drink, instead of a coke/water.

If you want a good view of Atlanta, stop at Peachtree center and go to the Sundial bar/restaurant at the top of the Westin downtown (but only if the weather's good and you have the time). You'll be able to see planes moving in and out of ATL in the distance, too.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 2:27 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Too bad you are not there on a weekday or you could go to the Delta museum:
http://deltamuseum.org/

I have always wanted to go see it!
Old Feb 11, 2011, 2:37 pm

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by IRISHFLYER1
http://spondivits.net/-locations.html

take the crown plaza courtesy bus and walk. Good atomosphere, good food
+1 Million. Shrimp Bucket just rocks and the oysters are almost as good as Acme Oyster Bar in NOLA.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 2:42 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Let's not forget the Cheetah..........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.