Wiki Posts
Search

is DL charging a premium out of BDL?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2011, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM
is DL charging a premium out of BDL?

So I was shopping for a fare from BDL or PVD to SFO for late march(leaving same time and with the same ATL connection). This is what I got. 363 for U fare from PVD. 424 for a T fare from BDL and that is the highlighted cheaper fares. If I scroll down to some of the other fares the price moves into the mid 500 range for BDL while PVD is a 100 bucks cheaper. What gives! Also should I hold off in booking for a while period? These fares are much higher than what I am seeing for the same routes now and into early march.

Last edited by sectflyer; Feb 1, 2011 at 1:43 pm
Old Feb 1, 2011, 1:42 pm
aua

Programs: skymiles
Hold on a few weeks!

Sectflyer,
I would hold for a few weeks if your schedule allows it. I am out of BDL and the rates are currently high, I hope the spring brings a good slow melt and lower airfares.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Right now I just want the snowmelt!
Old Feb 1, 2011, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hhonors DM, SPG Plat, National EE
BDL is my weekly trip and typically yes. BDL is expensive and inconsistent and the flights from ATL to BDL and reverse are very, very full.

My typical fare is $400-$600.

If you can route from BDL through DTW you will find cheaper fares.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

If you can route from BDL through DTW you will find cheaper fares.

Not as of now. I had to trick Delta.com to give me a dtw routing and it was over 600$!
Old Feb 1, 2011, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
I've flown LAX-XXX-BDL and LAX-XXX-PVD r/t several times in the last year and a half and all fares were under $300 ai. It varies from time to time. Sometimes you'd swear there's some kind of artificial premium on one or the other.

On the same note, LAX-XXX-ALB has been consistently north of $400 ai for T fares and I can't figure out why.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 4:21 pm
A4K

Programs: N/A
I live in DEN and my entire family lives in CT, so I fly DEN-BDL all the time.

I can pretty much always find good fares within a month of departure, usually under $275 RT.

Now this might be a Southwest thing - They fly BDL-DEN non-stop now. Maybe Delta just tries to pick off a few suckers like myself who will connect.

Not like this helps the OP much as he is trying to get to LAX, but I guess my point should be that the fares to BDL are not always high.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA ExecP
This is due to WN competition. Delta has a monopoly on many DL routes out of BDL, so they tend to be very high. BDL/MSP is always 450+ even on a LUT.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 5:14 pm

Sectflyer, I just booked BDL to SFO thru JFK for $454.00.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

568 for when i was looking. wed 3-23 thru mon 3-28

Last edited by sectflyer; Feb 1, 2011 at 5:52 pm
Old Feb 1, 2011, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA, SPG GLD, DL FO, VX, UA, US, ICH, Hyatt, Avis Pref.
You're also traveling at the height of Spring Break.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

You're also traveling at the height of Spring Break.

That is true. Maybee that meens that the planes will be full of poor non-elite's! Better shot for an UG!
Old Feb 1, 2011, 6:31 pm

Programs: DL:PM - Reserve, 2MM, FC, RW; HH: SILVER MR: SILVER
Airfares out of BDL on cities where Delta has no competitors have always been high. The interesting thing is there a tons of "low" award tickets available. If you fly out of BOS instead you will be find greater availability and much lower fares. If that isn't an option, look at US Air as their fares out of BDL as usually much cheaper that Delta (albeit, they are connecting flights).
Old Feb 1, 2011, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

I have gotten SFO out of BDL for as low as 221 but that was in the dead of winter. PVD is the same as in no competetion. And, I have no loyalty to US. I will keep looking though!
Old Feb 1, 2011, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Platinum, UA 1P, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, MR PM
I just switched from BDL to LGA even though it's 30miles farther from my house. I fly to DCA every week and the shuttle just makes so much more sense. For 1/2 price of my old BDL K fare I book into Y and upgrade right away. Plus the morning papers and bagel are totally worth it.

Of course, I'm waiting for the LGA delays to come out and bite me, but so far, so good.

To me BDL has always been more expensive. Plus, security is slow (relative to the size of the airport) and everything closes by 8:30PM. I'm not a fan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.