Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

International connection decision CDG or JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2011, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, US, SWA

I know that neither are good choices, but would people rather make an international connection at CDG or JFK?
Old Jan 20, 2011, 8:00 am

JFK gets my vote but I agree with you that neither are great. I try to avoid CDG at all costs.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 8:18 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
JFK is generally better.

However, I take in to account origin/destination. If my travel is SEA to NCE, I'd rather have one long flight (SEA-CDG) for sleeping followed by a very short one (CDG-NCE), as opposed to two medium length flights (SEA-JFK and JFK-NCE).
Old Jan 20, 2011, 8:33 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by RobtheAggie
I know that neither are good choices, but would people rather make an international connection at CDG or JFK?
For leaving the US, I'd say it doesn't matter. (I sort of like a connection in Europe so I don't arrive at my hotel at 7:30am, but then I'm usually leaving from JFK.)

For returning, an advantage of CDG is that you'll clear immigration at your destination, not at JFK while you still have a connection to make.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 9:14 am

Programs: UA - G (mm), DL - DM, MM, AA - Plat
What route? I despise CDG but as others have noted, it might be worth it on some routes. Also JFK is all about how you travel - do you check a bag? Have Global Entry?
Old Jan 20, 2011, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, US, SWA
I am looking at a more general scenario. For the average traveler, which is easier. An English speaker might think that JFK is and a French speaker might think that CDG is.

I had not thought about the long flight first or second idea. I will take that into consideration.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 9:52 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by seattleBH
What route? I despise CDG but as others have noted, it might be worth it on some routes. Also JFK is all about how you travel - do you check a bag? Have Global Entry?
If you are DM, JFK has the concierge service for international arrivals - beats arriving in ATL.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:41 am

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
I don't understand all the CDG-bashing. Sure, it can sometimes be infuriating like any other airport, but the T2 experience at CDG definitely beats the T2/3 experience at JFK.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:41 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
I would usually pick CDG -- too many operations issues at JFK. But depends on routes, equipment etc.

I'm at CDG a lot, and honestly don't understand why some people dislike it.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:01 am

Programs: Delta Plat, CO Gold, AF
My vote is for CDG. Never had a problem, and I actually like the airport. Plus, get a good nights sleep from LAX, and the connections are pretty easy. Leave at least 90 minutes for your connection though. Anything shorter and my luggage usually gets left behind.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer
I don't understand all the CDG-bashing. Sure, it can sometimes be infuriating like any other airport, but the T2 experience at CDG definitely beats the T2/3 experience at JFK.
I think most of the bashing comes in for itineraries that require leaving T2. For example, if you're connecting to somewhere else in Europe, you may need to take the bus to T3, after clearing immigration. That can take a LONG time, IME. If you're simply staying within T2, it's not as bad as it could be, although even there the walks between different parts of T2 can be LONG and confusing (I always feel like the arrows take you on the longest possible route...)

JFK on the other hand has its own problems. Delays are likely, and the facilities are subpar. But it's familiar and somewhat logically laid out.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:07 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
When going to Europe, I usually like the connection there (CDG/AMS) because if there are problems there are ground alternatives (e.g. take a train)

Coming back there are advantages to a connection in the US as there usually more flight alternatives -- e.g. if JFK-XXX is canceled there may be one stop alternatives -- JFK-DTW-XXX, JFK-ATL-XXX or JFK-MSP-XXX, etc.

But usually for me price and schedule end up dictating things
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Marriott Plat, Everything else basic
Originally Posted by RobtheAggie
An English speaker might think that JFK is and a French speaker might think that CDG is.
I think they speak as much, if not more, English at CDG as they do at JFK.

I generally work to avoid both JFK and CDG and will pay more to get fewer/better connections.

The big concern I have with CDG is the signage is very confusing. Most of the signs are in English, and I speak a little French, but it's still odd figuring out where you are going.

In avoiding JFK I can almost always find another international gateway out of the US (ATL, DTW, MSP, maybe even MEM), but it's sometimes harder finding a place to connect in Europe. If AMS isn't an option Paris is pretty much it for a lot of flights.

I do like that at CDG you can go into Paris easily and wander around for a few hours. I had a 7 hour layover last year and had a great time having lunch, wandering around, etc in the city.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by andymo99
JFK is generally better.

However, I take in to account origin/destination. If my travel is SEA to NCE, I'd rather have one long flight (SEA-CDG) for sleeping followed by a very short one (CDG-NCE), as opposed to two medium length flights (SEA-JFK and JFK-NCE).

+1. When both airports are undesirable for transfer, then the next thing I consider is the length of the TATL flight. I would prefer to longer leg first to sleep, particularly if in J class, than have 2 medium length flights.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 4:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Avoid both if possible. Try to connect through AMS (pleasant and efficient) or, on the US side, DTW, etc. (not ATL).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.