Search

DCA-ATL-SCL BE upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2011, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta FO
DCA-ATL-SCL BE upgrade

All,

I'm looking to spend the 50,000 miles to purchase a ticket in Y and upgrade it to BE for a trip to SCL this summer. I fly almost exclusively domestic (and almost exclusively DCA-ATL of that) so I don't have a lot of experience booking such a flight...

is this something that can be done online?

Thanks,
andrew
Old Jan 16, 2011, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by andrewbashuk
All,

I'm looking to spend the 50,000 miles to purchase a ticket in Y and upgrade it to BE for a trip to SCL this summer. I fly almost exclusively domestic (and almost exclusively DCA-ATL of that) so I don't have a lot of experience booking such a flight...

is this something that can be done online?

Thanks,
andrew
Are you saying you want to get an award ticket and then upgrade it, or are you buying a revenue ticket? I don't believe you can upgrade an international award ticket.

Also,I believe it would be 60K miles for a Y award, in the unlikely event that you can find low award availability in both directions.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta FO
sorry if i wasn't clear....buy a revenue ticket and use miles to upgrade it...
Old Jan 16, 2011, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
You cannot upgrade a revenue ticket internationally unless it is booked in M, B, or Y class ($2,500+). Then, assuming there even is availability, it is 25,000 miles per direction.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Building on DLATL777's post, it can't be done online, and not many people on FlyerTalk would buy the M fare (perhaps a mutliple of the lowest published fare) without being able to confirm the upgrade in both directions at time of purchase. You can waitlist it, and if your employer is buying Y/B/M as the lowest available fare anyway... If your travel dates are flexible call Delta and ask the agent to look for dates and DCA-ATL routing (there's just one ATL-SCL daily) where you can confirm the upgrade.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 2:20 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Slightly disagree with 3C.

I would just try and find the 2 long legs with the agent. Often it is harder to get the domestic leg.

Even better is to use Expert Flyer to check for 'Z' inventory (or 'G' on the domestic leg). I think they have a free 30 day trial you can use.

But whatever, do NOT buy an M ticket thinking the 50K miles will always upgrade it. Check, and get it upgraded as you buy it.

M fares will be over $2K from what I see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.