Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

couldn't book Y class to get bonus MQMs =(

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

couldn't book Y class to get bonus MQMs =(

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2011, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM | 1 Million Miler
Cool couldn't book Y class to get bonus MQMs =(

I wanted to vent a little here

I was supposed to fly out to HKG on a Y class fare, however my employer only gave me $5k for my family and I. If I was by myself, that would be enough, but they said that they couldn't provide me more funding. Ugh =(

I calculated the miles from Mile Calc, and when I returned home, I would be a silver with 36k miles already. 36k is from BOS-DTW-HKG, HKG-NRT-DTW-BOS, Y class bonus, and the 10k MQMs from the Delta reserve card. Now I won't have that Y class bonus and when I return home, I'll be at 27k miles with the 10k MQMs from the reserve card =(

Then again, I can't be a brat, because they're going to fly my family out there as well, haha.

What sucks too is that now I have 3 credit cards, which in my opinion is dangerous. AMEX blue, gold, and now the reserve, I should have applied for the reserve after I talked to my boss, but when I got the confirmation web page, I called him to make sure that I can book the $5k fare to HKG, and that I needed an extra $3.8k for my family. Now I'm committed to the reserve card for the year.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 8:46 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
Next time try taking China Southern Premium Economy. You earn 150% mileage bonus and you don't have to sit in crappy economy seats. I think Guangzhou and HK are close enough to make this easily possible.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Did you look at the M fare? I'm sure for the whole family it would exceed $5k, but it should be cheaper than a full Y fare and you'd earn the bonus miles.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cellisttoo
Next time try taking China Southern Premium Economy. You earn 150% mileage bonus and you don't have to sit in crappy economy seats. I think Guangzhou and HK are close enough to make this easily possible.
Would this count towards Delta's MQMs? Sorry I'm still a noob around here =)

Originally Posted by rwoman
Did you look at the M fare? I'm sure for the whole family it would exceed $5k, but it should be cheaper than a full Y fare and you'd earn the bonus miles.
Would an M class still allow me to change my flight without any penalties? And I just took a peek over at Delta with the M class, I think I could have still been rejected too, haha. Can you explain further which classes can be changed without a penalty? So then I can book those classes in the future.

Thanks for your input guys
Old Jan 7, 2011, 8:59 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mfong
Yes, China Southern earns MQM on Delta in most fare classes (but NOT all- be sure and check the chart on DL.com). For premium economy you earn the 50% MQM bonus on DL (note that this is in the small print at the bottom of the chart- PE is P or Z fare class). Depending on how big your family is you still might not have been able to do it for under $5,000, but it probably would have been close for a family of three.

My understanding of China Southern, which I have never flown, but am considering, is that you do NOT want to fly their regular economy product. It is a 3-4-3 seating arrangement on a 777 with 31" pitch. Sounds miserable to me.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cellisttoo
Yes, China Southern earns MQM on Delta in most fare classes (but NOT all- be sure and check the chart on DL.com). For premium economy you earn the 50% MQM bonus on DL (note that this is in the small print at the bottom of the chart- PE is P or Z fare class). Depending on how big your family is you still might not have been able to do it for under $5,000, but it probably would have been close for a family of three.

My understanding of China Southern, which I have never flown, but am considering, is that you do NOT want to fly their regular economy product. It is a 3-4-3 seating arrangement on a 777 with 31" pitch. Sounds miserable to me.
I should have consulted FlyerTalk before I booked my tickets =)

My family is a family of 4, me, wife, and 2 kids. So it's still kinda tough to work out $5k, unless you're getting all regular econ tickets. I don't know if he knew how much Y class tickets cost to HKG.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by mfong

Would an M class still allow me to change my flight without any penalties? And I just took a peek over at Delta with the M class, I think I could have still been rejected too, haha. Can you explain further which classes can be changed without a penalty? So then I can book those classes in the future.

Thanks for your input guys
The fare class does not uniformly describe this. You have to look at the text of the fare rules. Some M fares may permit changes while others will not. Some M fares might be refundable while others are not. Even refundable fares can have cancellation fees, especially for international travel, so watch out for that as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.