Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Russian Hockey Team kicked off flight @ BUF

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:40 am
Original Poster

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olyhoc...ory?id=5995103
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:46 am

Programs: AA - PP
That'll learn em.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Mass denied boarding incident (DL 1266 6 JAN)

Originally Posted by Delta Newsroom Twitter Feed
To ensure safe operation of flt 1266 (BUF-ATL), crew denied boarding to 30 unruly paxs traveling together. Paxs are being rebooked.
http://twitter.com/DeltaNewsroom/sta...59531353292800

I'm guessing DL will claim this isn't IDB under some passenger/crew safety clause, right? On the plus side, I find it interesting that they're trying to get out ahead of the curve (only 6 hours after the incident happened) on this with their social media efforts.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:07 am
Original Poster

It was because of their behavior.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olyhoc...ory?id=5995103
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
I mean really, who wouldn't want to sit next to this guy at 6 o'clock in the morning:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...ff-flight?bn=1

And for the sake of accuracy it should be noted that this involved the Russian Junior hockey team. So the players are in the 16-20 age range. While it's not stated specifically, the implication is that they had a wee bit too much to drink...wonder if there's a "supplying alcohol to minors" investigation underway.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:39 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Russkies Won the Tournament at the Buffalo Sabres Arena

I ate dinner in a sports bar late last night and saw the last period--the Russkies came from 3-1 down to win 5-3. I guess they had a little too much post-match vodka (and I think these guys were juniors).
Old Jan 6, 2011, 4:16 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
It's amazing that they got everyone up to go to the shuttle bus!

"The group had arrived at Buffalo Niagara International Airport in time for a 6:10 a.m. ET flight to Atlanta, but was turned back by the flight crew"
Old Jan 6, 2011, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by fairviewroad
I mean really, who wouldn't want to sit next to this guy at 6 o'clock in the morning:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...ff-flight?bn=1

And for the sake of accuracy it should be noted that this involved the Russian Junior hockey team. So the players are in the 16-20 age range. While it's not stated specifically, the implication is that they had a wee bit too much to drink...wonder if there's a "supplying alcohol to minors" investigation underway.
"Zislis said team members, all under 20 years old, celebrated their win with champagne, but nothing stronger, in the locker room.

And...of course it was non-alcoholic!
Old Jan 6, 2011, 7:18 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL

Considering the drinking age in Russia is 18, most of them have been drinking for a while.

Not sure what the big deal is with the story. I guess Canada's way of saving face after the loss?
Old Jan 7, 2011, 2:10 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by RacingJunkie
Considering the drinking age in Russia is 18, most of them have been drinking for a while.
lol
Drinking age in Russia?
Old Jan 7, 2011, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by florin
lol
Drinking age in Russia?
It's called "birth". LOL
Old Jan 7, 2011, 8:59 am

Programs: DL PM; Co Gold; PC Plat; Hhonors Silver
Talking

Originally Posted by DanJ
It's called "birth". LOL
Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:42 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak

Not sure what the big deal is with the story. I guess Canada's way of saving face after the loss?

Uh, you do realize that the Buffalo airport is in the United States, right? How could you chalk this up to Canadians saving face?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that a group of Delta flight attendants on a 6 a.m. flight to Atlanta probably cared diddly squat about junior hockey and thus had no need to save anyone's face but the face of those who would have had to sit next to a bunch of rowdy, possibly drunk teenagers.

As far as the Russian drinking age...touche, but I suspect the state of New York has their own ideas and last I checked, hockey players or their coaches do not enjoy diplomatic immunity. That said, I suspect that once these guys sobered up they were dispatched on their way and are probably enjoying a heroes welcome back in MOW by now.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold

as reported by ESPN? in Buffalo? on Delta (a US-based airline)?

unless you think it was the bottle of Crown Royal Canadian whiskey that did them in!

one for the road -
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:28 am

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL

Uh, you do realize that the Buffalo airport is in the United States, right? How could you chalk this up to Canadians saving face?
Yea, a couple of blurbs on ESPN, but the Canadian press has been having a field day with this with reporters on scene and videos.

As far as the Russian drinking age...touche, but I suspect the state of New York has their own ideas and last I checked, hockey players or their coaches do not enjoy diplomatic immunity. That said, I suspect that once these guys sobered up they were dispatched on their way and are probably enjoying a heroes welcome back in MOW by now.
Yes, they should abide by the rules of the country they are visiting, but to say they are underage minors at 20 when they have been drinking legally in their country for two years, and probably drinking for a longer time before then is a bit much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.