Search

In-Flight Conversations w/ FAs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2011, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Delta AMEX Reserve, Ritz-Carlton Gold, Priority Pass
In-Flight Conversations w/ FAs

I've noticed a trend.

On my past three upgraded flights I've seen the FA held captive - by conversation. Each flight it was the same - about halfway through the flight someone ambles up to the galley while the FA is preparing someone's drink and starts up a conversation. Conversing with FAs, by itself, is harmless. I've had plenty of 5-minute conversations with FAs while stretching my legs. But, these conversations lasted between 30-45 minutes each!

I understand that FAs may just be being nice to some lonely traveler, but shouldn't they politely cut off the conversation at some point? One FA didn't even bring the snack basket back because of the conversation she was having. Passengers had to come get the snacks/refills if they wanted them. On top of that, the FA and passenger she was talking to made passengers feel like they were "interrupting" the conversation when they came up.

Has any one else noticed this?
Old Jan 5, 2011, 9:37 am

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
I posted a long rant about this a couple of months ago. FA for the F cabin spent the whole entire flight flirting with a really cute guy in the galley. She let him stay up there long after she announced the seat belts, tray tables up speil. At one point I interupted them to tell her that some people in F needed some attention, like drinks, snack basket. Actually, I was pretty snippy about it, for me anyway. Never did get served. (I think the cute guy got served both on and after the flight, but that's another story for another time.)
Old Jan 5, 2011, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Marylou
I posted a long rant about this a couple of months ago. FA for the F cabin spent the whole entire flight flirting with a really cute guy in the galley. She let him stay up there long after she announced the seat belts, tray tables up speil. At one point I interupted them to tell her that some people in F needed some attention, like drinks, snack basket. Actually, I was pretty snippy about it, for me anyway. Never did get served. (I think the cute guy got served both on and after the flight, but that's another story for another time.)
If cute guy was allowed to stand close to landing, he could have been a nonrev FA. Usually FC passengers are allowed to use the lav or access overhead bins after the first seatbelt announcement but not just stand around or stand in line for the lav.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 9:54 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Sky Club
That's how my former next door neighbor met his FA wife.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Delta AMEX Reserve, Ritz-Carlton Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by nogophers
Ha. Good for him. I suppose I would have been more understanding if I'd seen sparks flying during these conversations. However, it was always just some guy talking the FA's ear off.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:03 am

Programs: AA - PP
I've been guilty of engaging FA in long conversations a few times in the past. Usually when I had a seat mate I just didn't feel like being near, and in one case when someone ripped one that fumigated 12 rows on the plane for nearly an hour... somebody should have been ejected for that one.... while at cruising altitude!

In either case, any time I've done so, I've actually helped keep an eye out for PAX wanting anything, and told the FA I'd shut up so they could make their rounds.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by nogophers
I met and had a long term relationship with a FA doing pretty much the same thing. She made me sit when the seat belt light went on though. Don't blame the guy for trying...the FA is the one who is in charge
Old Jan 5, 2011, 11:14 am

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Originally Posted by Marylou
Jealous are we?
Old Jan 5, 2011, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Similar scenario started to unfold on a NRT-DTW 747 a few years ago -- Mr. Studly Gold Elite (center aisle bulkhead) stows his bags & really puts the move on the FA. By the time the plane took off, that jump seat was occupied by a male FA.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat
Originally Posted by VolareBene

Has any one else noticed this?
Too trivial for me to worry about.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
I see this all the time. It doesn't bother me, I just feel really bad for the flight attendants. They always look so miserable but have no choice but to be polite. What amuses me is that most of these balding, overweight DYKWIA types really seem to think they are making good progress with the FAs. Do people really think that flight attendants are impressed with how often passengers travel? I'll never understand this.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 2:57 pm

Old Jan 5, 2011, 9:22 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.8MM, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by pdac1975
I see this all the time. It doesn't bother me, I just feel really bad for the flight attendants. They always look so miserable but have no choice but to be polite. What amuses me is that most of these balding, overweight DYKWIA types really seem to think they are making good progress with the FAs. Do people really think that flight attendants are impressed with how often passengers travel? I'll never understand this.
I don't understand it either, too funny! Thanks for the laugh.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Gee, I am an overweight, not balding, middle-aged white guy. I have had some pleasant conversations with FAs on many a flight. I can attest that I am not trying to get anywhere with any FA, for three reasons:
  1. my wife of 17 years would be appropriately mispleased were it to come to her attention
  2. I have no need to be humiliated by anyone
  3. I have been out of the dating scene for way to long to even bother trying
Other than basic pleasantries and social niceties, I don't typically start conversations with the FAs, as they have duties to perform and it is their workplace.

Most of the conversations have started due to the FA seeing my FT tag hanging off of my bag and asking about it, or asking about the USMC logo on my shirt (since I typically wear one of several USMC golf shirts during the work week). If an FA strikes up a conversation with me, I will enjoy the time accordingly. As someone else mentioned, I tend to look around occasionally and am perfectly willing to get out of their way if they need to perform their duties.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.