Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie Question about Priority Baggage

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2011, 8:41 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by sharktums
It really never worked at LAX until I Tweeted DeltaAssist about the problem and I feel like something was said as the priority tag bags now seem to much more often come off first.

Orlando did a good job with them, some airports not so much. Like the first person said, seems to be a lot of luck involved.
I flew into MCO a month ago and although my golf clubs were waiting in oversized before the first bag dropped, my bag was the last to come off and my companion's was 6th from last. All the kettles were merrily on their way before I could get my rental car.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 8:48 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Plat, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by jgottlieb
At SNA, it seems anyway, that the yellow tags come off first. They seem to be stacked on the belt and then the belt is turned on. Everything else comes out afterwards. I'm inferring this by how the yellow-tagged-bags are so tightly packed together and the other bags are more spaced apart...like they were thrown on.

Incidentally... Mine was the first off the belt this week.
Yeah, that's how they come out at CHA too....
Old Jan 4, 2011, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IME baggage at MSP has gotten much worse since the merger. The priority tagged bags seldom come out first. Moreover, the assignment of flights to belts makes no sense: one can see as many as a half dozen unused DL belts while five big flights at the same time are assigned to the same belt, with the resulting mess as a crowd five-deep fights to see/grab their bags. Either this--the simple step of assigning flights to belts--isn't well managed or only a few belts are in working order, which is another sign of bad management. It should be simple to fix this problem after so much time.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 9:13 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
The yellow tags have, for the most part, worked well on my flights when I check bags. The exception for me was always RDU. After this happened for the third time in a row, over about six weeks, I went to the luggage office and complained. There were several SP passengers standing around waiting for our bags to come out, and they were the last bags. The man at the luggage office apologized and immediately made a call. Since then, the yellow bags seem to come out first.

In short - if they don't come out first, let the employees know. They seem to be receptive to correcting the situation in the future.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 9:18 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold, National EC Executive, Delta Amex Reserve
it really does depend on the airport and luck. I've had my bag be the very first one off a super full plane in JFK. (It really was kinda cool, there were TONS of people waiting for their bags and my bag came rolling out with no other bags behind it. I got congratulations and scowls.(We had been waiting quite some time)). I also have had to wait for 50 other bags. Not to mention my bag has been delayed on multiple occasions, once when the connection planes were right next to each other, literally wingtip to wingtip.

Last edited by adam1080; Jan 4, 2011 at 9:25 am
Old Jan 4, 2011, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I fly CX on some intra-Asian routes and it is more "It works most of the time, very rarely does it not work."

Last edited by mjcewl1284; Jan 4, 2011 at 10:27 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 4, 2011, 10:11 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
In a random, unscientific poll in The Terrorists Succeeded Administration security line today at MSP, it was unanimous that the priority tags mean your bag gets dropped last at MSP.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 10:51 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IME baggage at MSP has gotten much worse since the merger. The priority tagged bags seldom come out first. Moreover, the assignment of flights to belts makes no sense: one can see as many as a half dozen unused DL belts while five big flights at the same time are assigned to the same belt, with the resulting mess as a crowd five-deep fights to see/grab their bags. Either this--the simple step of assigning flights to belts--isn't well managed or only a few belts are in working order, which is another sign of bad management. It should be simple to fix this problem after so much time.
I don't know about the conditions pre/post merger, but why do you have to walk to the other side of the airport to claim bags when you get in at the C/D/E/F terminals at MSP? There are perfectly good baggage claim belts on the north side that one has to walk past to get to the working claims at the south end.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 12:22 pm
Original Member

Thumbs down My Priority Bag Was First Off...

I can report that my PRIORITY TAGGED BAG was FIRST OFF.... unfortunately it was BEFORE the overweight CRJ took off.

Now, explain to me the good business logic of removing a PRIORITY TAGGED bag from a flight while at least 5 NON-Priority but HEAVY tagged bags are left on board if there is a weight and balance issue?

That was Sunday....it's Tuesday afternoon and all the website says is...
Status: We have located this bag and are scheduling delivery.
Please check back again for the delivery date and time of your bag.

At this point, not so sure chasing Platinum yet another year is looking like a "Priority" to me either.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I fly CX on some intra-Asian routes and it is more "It works most of the time, very rarely does it not work."
50% of the time, it works everytime...
Old Jan 4, 2011, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
At DCA (arriving from TPA), my luggage comes off first and it is never tagged (Sample size is about 5 trips since the flights launched). Either a baggage handler has a crush on me or they really don't care.

Overall, I would recommend that Delta send a note to all ramp employees reminding them of baggage priority. One day, I will have those tags.....
Old Jan 4, 2011, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA; Delta; US Air; BA Executive Club
We just took two flights to SFO and JFK and our bags were off within a minute or two at the most. The yellow tags appeared to be working because all of the bags that were first off had yellow tags.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 3:23 pm

Programs: SK Diamond
BWI works every time for me, usually first 5 or so, but they take forever to get the bags on the belt. SNA, my bag is usually last. However, I have never been to an American airport where the bags took less than about 30 minutes to arrive. I recently took SQ F to NRT and by the time I got through immigration which took exactly 1 minute, a bunch of bags were already on the belt and the ANA workers walking around pulled my bag off the belt for me and verified it was mine with the tag. Oh to have customer service in the US...
Old Jan 4, 2011, 4:21 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Platinum
Almost 100% of the time, whether on Delta or KLM or AF, whether domestic or international, my "priority baggage"-tagged suitcase is one of the last off to hit the luggage carousel. Most recently: Dec 27th, ATL->LAX... all of the coach luggage came out first, then we waited a bit, then the "Priority" luggage eventually came out. Total wait time at the carousel was about 30-40 minutes. I think "Priority Luggage" is one of those Delta myths, just like the "Dedicated SkyTraveler security lanes." Apparently they exist, and Delta touts them as being benefits of being Medallion or of flying Biz Elite, but I have yet to encounter them in real life. It's just one of those things that I don't even get wound up about anymore.

Kirby
Old Jan 4, 2011, 5:31 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Another anecdote: I flew IAD/SFO 12/25 on UA, and my *A Priority bag was among the first half dozen at the claim area. Returning SFO-ATL-IAD 12/28 on DL with the Priority tag, my bag was the very first one out the shoot at Dulles. Sort of a draw, but kudos to both carriers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.