Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Hub Strategy - Casual Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL Hub Strategy - Casual Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2011, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Feather Man
Seem to remember everyone in CVG voicing a similar intent to fly others if DL de-hubbed CVG. Guess what? Even though they reduced the schedule from 650 flights a day to 160 flights per day, they still fly to about 130 more destinations than their competitors in CVG. DL is still the top dog in CVG, albeit, a much smaller dog.
With ATL, MEM, DTW, and MSP surrounding it, there's no reason to have a true hub at CVG, as there's no longer a need to serve smaller midwest/southeast markets from there. As a business destination, it's still very valuable to DL, and the retention of flights to most major markets likely reflects an ongoing desire to maintain it as a focus city to retain a fairly solid business and O&D travel market.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 8:40 pm

Programs: Delta PM/MM
JFK-LGA

Originally Posted by swinster
Miscellaneous comments.

ATL - Main hub for whole DL network especially southern tier. Serves everywhere. Only significant latin america Hub in network! Delta probably makes more money per pax in LA than EU from ATL.

CVG - Sorry, writing is on the wall, you will become a focus city eventually Im afraid. Too bad, I like connecting in CVG better than ATL.

JFK - Will grow, but mainly due to O&D. If there is one place I would avoid more than ATL for connections its JFK. Maybe the new terminal will change that. DL wants to win NY

MEM - Will survive as the domestic alt connector for ATL. Could use this hub to gain market share in TX region maybe (steal customers from DFW/IAH).

DTW - Main northern tier connector hub. Main Asian gateway, but will be fortified with good EU and some LA routes.

MSP - Alternate northern tier connector hub, but more significant than MEM. Basic international routes to Asia and EU maintained. Many markets served from here than cannot be effectively served from other DL hubs.

SLC - probably the only hub that cant have most of its feeder flights served from a different DL hub. Its mostly Skywest serving rinky-dink Western Cow-towns. (Disclamier - I live in a rinky-dink western cow-town). But no other hub could serve these markets effectively. Dehubbing SLC, would effectively give the entire inter-montain west market to United at DEN.

SEA - Not a hub per se, but acts like one because of codeshares with AS, will probably grow more, especially if DL continues to buddy up with AS.

Happy Flying
Swinster
Every airline in the 20th century has tried to win NYC. The fact is, no airline will ever have a lock on NY. AA has long had a substantial presence in NY and has a beautiful billion dollar terminal at JFK. And as everyone knows, CO controls Newark. The reality is that even though Delta may have the largest number of flights at LGA and JFK, (including the Delta Shuttle) it is not the preferred provider for most New Yorkers or international travellers. Delta (with the eastern acquisition) once controlled the east coast and accounted for 70% of the traffic between south florida and NYC. Jet Blue ate their lunch, and continues to do so domestically with a new modern terminal at JFK and a reputation for better customer service and quality (new aircraft, ptv,etc). UA and USAir seem to have a very small presence in New York.
Furthermore, many international travelers often choose to fly international airlines over domestic carriers as many of those carriers offer a better product. We all know that DAL's terminal operations (PanAm Worldport) and LGA terminals (main and the original Marine Air Terminal) are ancient and run down. This makes it impossible to compete with the international airlines flying out of Terminal 4 at JFK or AA's new terminal. To me this is not the end of the world as I, in a somewhat nostalgic way enjoy the PanAm terminal, but Delta could do a much better job with customer service and ground operations in NYC.

Delta has spent a fortune in the last ten years with billboards at every major sporting venue, taxi-top ads, telephone booth and bus stop advertisements. I'm not sure that this is money well spent.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 11:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Been There Before
We all know that DAL's terminal operations (PanAm Worldport) and LGA terminals (main and the original Marine Air Terminal) are ancient and run down. This makes it impossible to compete with the international airlines flying out of Terminal 4 at JFK or AA's new terminal. To me this is not the end of the world as I, in a somewhat nostalgic way enjoy the PanAm terminal, but Delta could do a much better job with customer service and ground operations in NYC.
I once was stuck at the Marine Air Terminal because of IROPS: I missed the last flight to BOS (at 9.30 pm). It was an horrible experience. NEVER EVER will I fly via LGA again.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 11:12 pm

ATL is toooooooo crowded.

Toooooo many misconnects.

Toooooo many time no gates to park the plane.

Airports that I avoid - ATL - PHL - EWR.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by plagwate
PIT used to be a hub for US but operations were considerably downsized around 2004.
Go back to 1970 and United had about 50 flights a day. TWA also had a large number of flights from PIT. US Air eventually forced them out.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 3:07 am

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
Its about the hub $

Originally Posted by indufan
Honestly, I am surprised Delta and other airlines haven't pulled this trump card. They certainly could. The NFL does it all of the time even when a team doesn't really want to relocate...they still threaten that they are going to do it.
Ah, but in the NFL, when a team relocates, all the other NFL owners get a check from the new team. delta has its super Hub in ATL to collect all the $ from the regional hubs. & maybe they should buy a few snow plows, or put the plows on the front of the computer maintenance trucks.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 10:21 pm

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
winning in NY

Adding nonstops with superior service to major financial centers will be a huge step in winning NY. I'm thinking, at the minimum, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Mumbai, Dubai and Sao Paolo.

Oh, and a new terminal at JFK would be nice...
Old Jan 5, 2011, 1:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by Colin
Exactly, build a huge hub with hundreds of flights in a shrinking city with a depressed economy. Really briliant idea.
Build a huge hub? Under NW, DTW WAS its biggest hub. Seeing that DL has added DTW-HKG, DTW-HND now, doesn't seem like DTW is going anywhere.

It boggles my mind why people think DTW should be dehubbed. It not only provides a great gateway to Asia and Europe, but in terms of connections, it makes total sense to keep DTW. For example, it's hard to fly from Asia to the east coast on UA unless you're going through ORD. For people on the east coast flying from Asia, getting home means arriving before midnight since you'd go through LAX, SEA or SFO, take a flight to another UA/CO hub (right now it looks like EWR, IAH are popular picks), then I'd be able to get home, at around 10-11 pm). With DTW, I get home on the east coast 4 PM at the very latest and I don't need to go through another hub. Why would it make any sense for anybody living on the east coast to go through LAX, SEA, SFO from Asia?

Last edited by mjcewl1284; Jan 5, 2011 at 1:56 am
Old Jan 5, 2011, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
Build a huge hub? Under NW, DTW WAS its biggest hub. Seeing that DL has added DTW-HKG, DTW-HND now, doesn't seem like DTW is going anywhere.

It boggles my mind why people think DTW should be dehubbed. It not only provides a great gateway to Asia and Europe, but in terms of connections, it makes total sense to keep DTW. For example, it's hard to fly from Asia to the east coast on UA unless you're going through ORD. For people on the east coast flying from Asia, getting home means arriving before midnight since you'd go through LAX, SEA or SFO, take a flight to another UA/CO hub (right now it looks like EWR, IAH are popular picks), then I'd be able to get home, at around 10-11 pm). With DTW, I get home on the east coast 4 PM at the very latest and I don't need to go through another hub. Why would it make any sense for anybody living on the east coast to go through LAX, SEA, SFO from Asia?
But you can go through ORD to get home earlier. On UA, NRT/HKG/PVG/PEK are all served out of ORD, so the only Asian destinations that DL-DTW has that UA-ORD doesn't, AFAIK, are ICN and NGO (and soon HND).
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:59 am

Chicago area: 10M people and growing
Detroit area: 4M people and shrinking
Old Jan 5, 2011, 11:58 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Chicago area: UA, AA, and multiple foreign flag carriers
Detroit area: DL pretty much has the whole market to itself....
Old Jan 5, 2011, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by troyintn
... CVG is gone...
Going, but not gone. I'm not defending CVG's future, but let's dispel the myth that it's already de-hubbed. It's a heck of a lot smaller than it once was, but DL still has a hub operation there... however numbered its days may be.

Originally Posted by Davescj
MSP -- Good mid west hub, esp if snow in DTW. Great gateway to Europe- WEstern US and WEstern US to Asia.
MSP is actually more affected by snow than DTW.

Originally Posted by indufan
ATL serves travelers going nearly everywhere.
Except for Asia, which is where the major growth and profits are right now. Aside from the recent plan to add-back a few weekly ATL-PVG flights, the road to Asia on Delta still runs through DTW, NRT, or to a lesser degree, SEA.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 12:16 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
Originally Posted by dgxoxo
Adding nonstops with superior service to major financial centers will be a huge step in winning NY. I'm thinking, at the minimum, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Mumbai, Dubai and Sao Paolo.

Oh, and a new terminal at JFK would be nice...
We already have Sao Paolo, but I agree DL could work on improving its network in the future. As another poster mentioned, DL does have a hard time competing with the international carriers. The fact is, many NYers pay for premium tickets, and it only makes sense they would pay for the best experience. DL's fleet of 763s and some international 752s just doesn't cut it. That said, the planned (and long overdue) conversions to flat beds will go a long way in helping DL "win" NY, though competing with the Asian carriers will still be a stretch.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 12:17 pm

A few important facts to consider:

- The Detroit/Windsor Metro Area is closer to 6M people

- Airlines aren't concerned with total population, they are concerned with the travel market. All people do not have the same propensity for travel, and the DTW travel market has not shrunk even if the population has.

- 6M is still a LOT of people, and with DTW being much more efficient as a hub operation (excess capacity, new "built-to-spec facilities"), it's pretty ideal for any airline to use as a hub.

- DTW is in a very unique position in terms of catchment area. Given the geography of Michigan, the catchment area of DTW is quite large and much larger than most Midwest airports. Whereas with other airports, the farther away from the airport you go the closer you get to another hub, the farther from DTW you go in Michigan, you don't get closer to anything else. That results in a catchment area for DTW of closer to 12M (in total population).
Old Jan 5, 2011, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, US Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold 5*
Does anyone think that STL would be a viable option for a Delta hub? It's right in the middle of the country and still has the infrastructure from the TWA days. Sure it needs some upgrades, but it could work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.