Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you know a Delta Pilot ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2010, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Amex Delta Reserve + Platinum MR. Y, I book.
Do you know a Delta Pilot ?

Personally, I'd never paid any attention to the pilot of the plane unless the landing was problematic. Then I felt it my duty to give the pilot of look-see on my way out.

Then a few years ago I met a retired Delta Airlines Captain. Leon Norton based out of Atlanta. As a 30 year pilot with Delta - he had plenty of stories about flight times when flying was fun. Before the age of computers running everything. He was an egomaniac with a thirst for adventure, a quick wit, and by the time I had met him ... a fairly big heart. He flew the GA to Cali route mostly on 747's or alternately the L1011 ... as he termed them 'A bucket of bolts'

He retired up to my neck of the woods in the north GA mountains.
The first time I met him - he was pasting a 'Fly Delta' sticker on his mailbox.
Over the next few years he told me stories of buzzing the golden gate bridge and making un-scheduled low passes over the grand canyon for his passengers. And making successful passes at the Flight Attendants. I'm pretty sure you'd get fired for that these days ; )

He was struck by lightening a few months before eligibility for full retirement - and he decided to make the most of that experience - by retelling it to everyone he met. All his correspondence included the signature ' Captain Lee Norton' ... he was so proud to fly Delta and over time - endeared me to the airline as well. As a highly experienced Delta captain - he received priority seating vouchers every year - and offered them freely to friends ... and to me-the-neighbor whenever a need arose. I never took advantage of the generosity ... though now I'm thinking about how dumb I was at the time. : D

He had a dog named Boo Boo and when the news came that he didn't have long to live - he asked me if I would take his dog and love her like he did when he was gone. When the time came - of course I did. She's still with me. I took this image after she stole a stack of oatmeal cookies when I wasn't looking - and then pretended I couldn't see them in her mouth.

In attending the funeral I was surprised to see several current and former Delta airline pilots show up in Uniform. It was a very impressive show of respect for their former friend.

In the aftermath - the family asked if there was anything of Lees that I might want before they closed up his home and put it up for sale ... I did take one thing. One of his fellow airline pilots had taken up painting as a sideline - and Lee bought one of the paintings in the 70's. It's entitled 'Heading West' - and it's what he wanted -and got- inscribed on his memorial plaque.

This was hanging on his wall through the entire time I knew him. Now it's hanging on mine. I took it down for cleaning today and I thought I'd share it - and the story behind it with my fellow FT'rs this holiday.

Captain Lee Norton was a seasoned and proud Delta Airline Pilot - and a friend of mine.

Lee and his dog Boo Boo taken at his home in Rabun Gap, GA.

Last edited by runCMD; Dec 26, 2010 at 11:45 am
Old Dec 26, 2010, 9:35 am

Absolutely awesome story! ^

One of our closest friends is a Delta pilot, he is not of that vintage though, but he has been there for about 20 years.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
What a great story! Thanks for posting it. ^
Old Dec 26, 2010, 10:57 am

Programs: Delta DM!
Definitely a great story, thank you for sharing. He sounds like quite a character, and an awesome Delta pilot!^
Old Dec 26, 2010, 12:36 pm

Programs: Formally TPAbound/Delta Diamond 1MM/Hilton Diamond/Marriott Silver/Priority Club Gold
Amazing story....Thanks for sharing it with us!

While reading your story, I smiled the entire time. Thanks for the touching details. It's not often we have a friend like yours.

About 5 years ago our flight crew announced that we were the Caption's last flight. They announced at 12:01am he would no longer be able to fly (due to his age).

The final taxi was bitter sweet. However, pulling under the two fire trucks with water spraying was very cool.

May your friend rest in peace. Oh....make sure you keep spoiling Boo Boo with oatmeal cookies.

Travel safe
Old Dec 26, 2010, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
A great tribute

A superb story of a superb man. Thanks for sharing. Give Boo Boo a rub behind his ears for me.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 1:10 pm

Awesome story and thanks for sharing
Old Dec 26, 2010, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL GM / PC APM / SPG GM / GP PM
Originally Posted by ComAirKid
Awesome story and thanks for sharing
+1
Old Dec 26, 2010, 8:49 pm

Programs: DAL Plat, HH LT Diamond
^^

+1000 internets for sharing the story with us.

L1011... flew on that one time....man what a noise that thing made when it landed!
Old Dec 26, 2010, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Really enjoyed this story. Thanks for sharing.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:32 am

Programs: DM
Thank you for sharing.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 1:12 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Thank you!
Old Dec 27, 2010, 1:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Thumbs up

Thanks for sharing!^^
Old Dec 27, 2010, 1:52 am

Programs: DL Plat, AS, AA, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold, AMEX
Thanks

Nicely told. I remember my Dad (a National Airlines pilot from 1954-1980) mentioning similar tales as the Golden Gate Bridge/Grand Canyon episodes.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 5:42 am

Programs: SQ & QF
Thanks for sharing. You sure was a good friend to the chap

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.