Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Frustrated with constant metal changes day of flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2010, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Formally TPAbound/Delta Diamond 1MM/Hilton Diamond/Marriott Silver/Priority Club Gold

Hi Fellow FT's!

There's a very annoying metal change at TPA Delta E Terminal going on.

For the past 4 months, 100% of the time the DL metal changes the day of the flight. I print my boarding passes late in the evening prior to the flight. My seat is mostly just behind the bulkhead on the aisle.

My last 6 flights out of TPA I walk to the gate, FA swipes my BP, new pop-up seat assignment prints and I'm in seat 40 or 41! I always stop & ask for a better seat & luckily my requests have worked (probably because I'm Silver).

To avoid this happening in 2011, looks like I need to wait til the a.m. of my flight to check in. This will enable me to choose (hopefully) a better seat. I could also swing by the SkyClub to double check a possible metal change & ask for a reassigned seat.

It's really frustrating. Looking for your suggestions for some sort of one-up action I can take. I'm also considering emailing DL about this annoying practice.

Would like your thoughts/suggestions.

Happy Holidays!
Old Dec 22, 2010, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by babe11
For the past 4 months, 100% of the time the DL metal changes the day of the flight. I print my boarding passes late in the evening prior to the flight. My seat is mostly just behind the bulkhead on the aisle.

My last 6 flights out of TPA I walk to the gate, FA swipes my BP, new pop-up seat assignment prints and I'm in seat 40 or 41!
Are you sure the metal is actually changing on the day of the flight?

My recent experience, as a FO, is that Delta repeatedly takes my seat assignments away from me during the last 24 hours prior to departure.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Formally TPAbound/Delta Diamond 1MM/Hilton Diamond/Marriott Silver/Priority Club Gold
Yes I'm sure it's the day of flight. Delta seems to be switching (TPA) from a larger aircraft to a smaller aircraft routinely on flight day.

If you're experiencing changed seat assignments routinely as an FO, I would definitely be complaining to Delta. That's ridiculous.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 8:02 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Another strategy might be to try to discern a pattern to the changes, and pick a seat that exists on both the scheduled aircraft as well as on the likely substitute. Perhaps you've already tried this - but others have posted similar strategies when dealing with the six or seven variants of the 757-200 for example.

Or post a specific TPX-nnn route - you might well get a specific answer/recommendation based on the route(s) you're having trouble with.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 8:17 am
Original Poster

All my seat selections are aisle. Hmmm...it's ALWAYS the flights to ATL. No surprise though. It's hard to fly out of TPA without going through ATL.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
All my seat selections are aisle. Hmmm...it's ALWAYS the flights to ATL. No surprise though. It's hard to fly out of TPA without going through ATL.
Why? Do they not fly to hubs in DTW (6), MSP (4), MEM (2), and CVG (2)? I concede that there is hourly service to ATL but it's hardly "hard".
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:23 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I have had similar issues with them changing the type of 757 they are flying. Sometimes it changes several hours before the flight. Just had my 8:45 am Thursday flight changed. Until they align the 757's, I believe this will continue to happen...
Old Dec 23, 2010, 6:26 am
Original Poster

I'm not always flying to hubs. Depending on my flight departures & meetings with clients, sometimes directs aren't available.

However, I do see your point about flying through hubs. I suppose, if I think creatively, I could book flights through hubs to my final destination versus the TPA/ATL/XXX convenient flights. Longer flights through hubs would definitely give me more MQM's (which is my goal for 2011). I'll definitely make that a possibility.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 6:39 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by indufan
Why? Do they not fly to hubs in DTW (6), MSP (4), MEM (2), and CVG (2)? I concede that there is hourly service to ATL but it's hardly "hard".
While you are correct about the flight options, many times DL will price connections through DTW/MSP/CVG etc. Higher than through ATL, msking it not fiscally practicsl to choose those routes from TPA or MCO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.