Wiki Posts
Search

standby on oversold flights?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2010, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold
standby on oversold flights?

The other day I SDC'd to a not entirely convenient JAX-DTW-STL connection (but it still got me there much earlier than my original itinerary). Upon arrival in DTW I went to the gate of an earlier DTW-STL flight to see if I could get on the standby list. I knew the flight was full because it was unavailable when I SDC'd in JAX but I though I would give it a try.

I was told by the GA that a) there was no standby list and b) the flight was oversold, which was apparently the reason for there being no standby list.

Was she right? Is there no standby on oversold flights? People miss connections all the time, and oversold flights become non-oversold. All I wanted was on the list, regardless of my chances. I am pretty sure that there was a list, and she didn't want to add me - I was there ca. 50 minutes before scheduled departure, she didn't show up til about 20-25 minutes after that.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by twohundredfifty
The other day I SDC'd to a not entirely convenient JAX-DTW-STL connection (but it still got me there much earlier than my original itinerary). Upon arrival in DTW I went to the gate of an earlier DTW-STL flight to see if I could get on the standby list. I knew the flight was full because it was unavailable when I SDC'd in JAX but I though I would give it a try.

I was told by the GA that a) there was no standby list and b) the flight was oversold, which was apparently the reason for there being no standby list.

Was she right? Is there no standby on oversold flights? People miss connections all the time, and oversold flights become non-oversold. All I wanted was on the list, regardless of my chances. I am pretty sure that there was a list, and she didn't want to add me - I was there ca. 50 minutes before scheduled departure, she didn't show up til about 20-25 minutes after that.
There is a list, and she should add you. I've found GA's hesitant to add me to the list as well. I've been added to standby lists by kiosks and SkyClub agents when the GA is not willing to do so.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
The GA knows the odds of getting you on or not. However, if the flight was way oversold why would you want to think there was a chance of getting you on a flight if there wasn't ?
Old Dec 20, 2010, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
The GA knows the odds of getting you on or not. However, if the flight was way oversold why would you want to think there was a chance of getting you on a flight if there wasn't ?
I've been at the gate for oversold flights where 10-15 people no-showed (arrived late to the airport, missed connections, changed plans, etc.), all confirmed pax were given seat assignments and some additional standbys were cleared. In that situation, if I'm on the list, I'm near the top and will likely get a seat. If I'm refused access to the list, I don't stand a chance.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold
Originally Posted by GBadger
I've been at the gate for oversold flights where 10-15 people no-showed (arrived late to the airport, missed connections, changed plans, etc.), all confirmed pax were given seat assignments and some additional standbys were cleared. In that situation, if I'm on the list, I'm near the top and will likely get a seat. If I'm refused access to the list, I don't stand a chance.
Exactly. It's about getting on the list. If standby then works out, even better.
As much as I enjoy the spacey DTW tunnel, I would rather be on my way.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
Misconnects, no-shows, etc.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I was in the ATL recently and the flight was oversold and just a few minutes later it had 35 free seats.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 5:39 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I've had this happen and many times it turns out quite to my advantage...

Recently (end of Oct) in LAS: I rushed to the gate where an ATL bound flight is about to board and ask to be added to the SB list. The GA told me the flight was oversold and there was not SB list. I told him, very nicely, that I understood, but would stand at the podium just in case something became available. He told me that wasn't likely, but I told him I had nothing to lose. Again, this was a very, very cordial conversation. We waited a few feet away from the podium, out of earshot, but within sight, and were the anti-DWKWIAs. Sure enough, the final boarding call was made, one no-show and one double-counted passenger meant there were two open seats, so my travelmate and I were on the flight. And the GA was the recipient of JWD certificates.

I've had this success another time in LAS, in RDU and ATL and a few other times, but I cannot remember where.

No SB list means your chosen by default if you hang by the podium. Granted, I've tried this a couple times and watched the plane push back without success, but I don't see where being on the SB list would have meant any different results in those situations.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 5:40 pm

I had check-in agents and the GA of the IND-JFK flight today refuse to put me on the standby list, saying that it's SDC or nothing. I went into the Sky Club and they added me. Flight ended up going out with two empty seats with me onboard. GA was wrong.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
Miracle in the Rockies

Once I misconnected flying UA from DEN to IAD due to weather. A lot of pax misconnected. The hotels were full. I attended the departure of the last flight to IAD. I was in no hurry to sleep on the floor. The flight was oversold and needed eight volunteers which they eventually got.
I asked to be placed on the lengthy standby list. The gate agent was amused at my request and added me to the list. I decided to stay at the gate as long as the gate agent was there. An hour later the gate agent started calling names of standbys. None were still hanging around. Finally he called my name and boarded me. On the way down the jetway he explained that the volunteers had been needed due to expected weather problems that later cleared up. I flew.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL-DM; HH-Gold; MR-Silver; Avis-First
This morning, I called Diamond desk to SDC my 1pm LGB-SLC to the 6:50am. The desk said the main cabin was sold out but 8/12 FC seats were open so I should ask to be placed on standby at the the airport. Same deal at ticket counter so no big deal, I check in for my 1pm flight. GA was same agent from ticket counter. I asked her to place me on the standby list. She said the flight was oversold by 10% and there were lots of folks on the standby list. She wouldn't add me to the list and said only to wait till she boarded everybody and she'd let me know if there was a seat. What?

All passengers on board - she called me up in a rush, handed me a seat request card and my upgraded boarding pass, and said "hurry and board before they come". What? Who? She rushed me out the door without giving me the chance to adjust the rest of my itinerary beyond SLC. I called the DM desk and fixed the rest but the whole thing was so weird. Oh and when we pushed back, there ended up being 7/12 empty FC seats. Why all the drama??
Old Dec 21, 2010, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by GBadger
Same here....I'm 100% for getting on the "oversold" flights as a PM and DM out of 3 or 4 tries.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gld, SPG Gld, Hyatt, PC, CBP Global Entry
I had a similiar experience two weeks ago. Was on standby (#2) on an oversold flight. Eventually there were several noshows, and three from the standby list went onboard. My question: is the GA obligated to put a pax (especially a Medallion) on the standby list on any flights (including standby) if requested? Can we complain to DL about it if the request gets denied?
Old Dec 21, 2010, 2:14 pm

Programs: Delta DM; SPG Plat; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lv2vl
My question: is the GA obligated to put a pax (especially a Medallion) on the standby list on any flights (including standby) if requested? Can we complain to DL about it if the request gets denied?
Ditto for me. I've been told that I couldn't be put on the standby list before as well. I would add "What is the logic behind NOT putting me on the standby list?" Any of you ATL DO folks have any insight?
Old Dec 21, 2010, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by presto310
Any of you ATL DO folks have any insight?
The information available to the GA is pretty accurate. They can see what flights the connecting pax are on, if it has landed, etc. and if the pax have checked in and by what method. (They tend to discount OLCI or what they call virtual check in because they have no record of the pax being in the airport) They can make a pretty good guess on what the final list is going to look like.

What they don't know is what your status is unless they asked or you tell them. I let them know that with my PM status (at the time) I might be placed high on the list and that I understand they may not be able to do it at that moment and ask if I should approach them later when they have time to add me. I can only remember once that the agent ask me to come back a few moments later, but they did add me to the list. They also know who is already on the list...i.e two open seats and two DM in front of you and your a PM ,etc.

Try to approach the agent before T-10 minutes. That last 10 minutes can get really crazy and they are more likely to tell you no simply because they may not have time or they have begun the process of closing out the flight.

Last edited by longing4piedmont; Dec 21, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.