Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Non-Elite Traveling Companions in Different Class of Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-Elite Traveling Companions in Different Class of Service

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2010, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Smile Non-Elite Traveling Companions in Different Class of Service

Hi Everyone,

On my return to LHR after Christmas, my best friend is flying the ATL-LHR leg. I was already up front from an M fare and she did not like paying $950 for a ticket in Y, let alone whatever it was for an upgradeable or "I" fare at the time. This is her first TATL ever!

Yesterday, I noticed the exit row was still open on the flight...much to my surprise this time of year. I called the DM line last night and they were willing to put her in the exit row since we're traveling together, despite different classes of service. Thanks, DL!

I hope those of you traveling this Christmas are getting ready for the "chaos" this week!

robin
Old Dec 17, 2010, 4:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA EP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by rwoman
Hi Everyone,

On my return to LHR after Christmas, my best friend is flying the ATL-LHR leg. I was already up front from an M fare and she did not like paying $950 for a ticket in Y, let alone whatever it was for an upgradeable or "I" fare at the time. This is her first TATL ever!

Yesterday, I noticed the exit row was still open on the flight...much to my surprise this time of year. I called the DM line last night and they were willing to put her in the exit row since we're traveling together, despite different classes of service. Thanks, DL!

I hope those of you traveling this Christmas are getting ready for the "chaos" this week!

robin
From what I've read, this is a violation of DL's policy so consider this an early Christmas present! The rules stipulate that preferred seating may be provided to a companion in a separate PNR if, and only if, the sponsoring Medallion is in the same class of service. Glad you found a rep willing to get her in the exit row!

Safe Travels!
Old Dec 17, 2010, 6:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LedgeT
From what I've read, this is a violation of DL's policy so consider this an early Christmas present! The rules stipulate that preferred seating may be provided to a companion in a separate PNR if, and only if, the sponsoring Medallion is in the same class of service. Glad you found a rep willing to get her in the exit row!

Safe Travels!
This is my understanding too. The point is supposed to be that the elite should be able to sit in the exit row together with the companion, not just use their own status to procure a better seat for someone else. I hope this move doesn't result in some DL elite on your flight wanting/needing an exit row seat and not being able to get it.

Moreover, I wonder if there's a risk that she will be booted from the exit row. Depending on what other coach seats are available for her, you might not want to take the risk.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This is my understanding too. The point is supposed to be that the elite should be able to sit in the exit row together with the companion, not just use their own status to procure a better seat for someone else. I hope this move doesn't result in some DL elite on your flight wanting/needing an exit row seat and not being able to get it.

Moreover, I wonder if there's a risk that she will be booted from the exit row. Depending on what other coach seats are available for her, you might not want to take the risk.
At this point, the flight is not overly full, which suprises me. When I called, only one other seat in row 30 had been taken. There are quite a few seats open in the front half of the cabin and the back does not look too bad.

We'll see what happens...
Old Dec 17, 2010, 8:22 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I frequently request companion exit row seating for friends, and then abandon them in the back of the bus when n F upgrade clears. My experience has been that once exit row seats are assigned, they don't get revoked.

Seems like they bent the rules a bit for you here by assigning the seat when you werent in Y, but now that its assigned i wouldn't worry about it going away,
Old Dec 17, 2010, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I did upgrade an "M" fare...so I was sort of in Y at one point.... I'm not worried...greatest concern is getting back to the UK safely.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 8:32 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond

Safe Travels!
What rule is that? I have not had a problem doing this for traveling companions even when I was booked paid FC. Perhaps its one of those unwritten unspoken DM benefits?
Old Dec 17, 2010, 8:37 am
Suspended

Revoked Exit Row

Originally Posted by BenA
I frequently request companion exit row seating for friends, and then abandon them in the back of the bus when n F upgrade clears. My experience has been that once exit row seats are assigned, they don't get revoked.

Seems like they bent the rules a bit for you here by assigning the seat when you werent in Y, but now that its assigned i wouldn't worry about it going away,
I have had mine revoked by the assignment of a FAM there.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Bicostal
What rule is that? I have not had a problem doing this for traveling companions even when I was booked paid FC. Perhaps its one of those unwritten unspoken DM benefits?
It is in the DL policy on seat assignments. DL's policies with regards to Diamond Members = Do what the DM requests... (in most circumstances at least)

The agent that assigned the seat actually had to override the system in order to place the OP's companion in a preferred seat...
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:22 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
It is in the DL policy on seat assignments.
Do you have a link to this on delta.com so we can see it?
Old Dec 18, 2010, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by fti
Do you have a link to this on delta.com so we can see it?
It is not on Delta.com ... Only available for those with access to DeltaNet.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 1:42 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
It is not on Delta.com ... Only available for those with access to DeltaNet.
Thanks.

The agent that assigned the seat actually had to override the system in order to place the OP's companion in a preferred seat...
This is true every time an elite requests a preferred seat for a companion who is not in the same PNR though, correct?
Old Dec 18, 2010, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by fti
Thanks.

This is true every time an elite requests a preferred seat for a companion who is not in the same PNR though, correct?
Preferred Seating

<Public>

Preferred seating ("P" seats) is offered on Delta (excluding Delta Shuttle) and Delta Connection aircraft and is designated only to qualified passengers. These seats are also available to all passengers 2 hours prior to departure - without using the override entry.

Qualified passengers include:

* Passengers with disabilities (see section above)
* Any passenger booked with Y and B fares
* Unaccompanied minor (only if non-preferred seats are depleted)
* Medallion SkyMiles members (FO, GM, PM, and DM)
* Passenger(s) traveling with a Medallion SkyMiles member
It is okay to assign a priority seat for non-elite passenger traveling with a Medallion, even if they are in different PNRs. They must all be traveling in the same cabin, however.

* SkyTeam Elite and Elite Plus partner members
* Flying Colonel (FC)
* Passenger affected by irregular operation (IRO)
* Alaska MVP and MVP Gold members

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.